No More Mr. Nice Guy!

thru thin and thin

Four games into the season, five genuine penalty claims, one penalty given.

Does anyone agree that our management team should become more vociferous about this?

Archie plays to the stereotype that the Jags " never get these decisions" in his media interviews.

This seems to filter into the players and the fans mindset on these matters. In other words we all accept this.

Neil Lennon has the bullying of match officials off to a tee. Always standing in the technical area, abusing the fourth officials, claiming every decision for his team. This comes across to his players and supporters that he wants his team to win, and they usually respond in a positive manner.

I know in this politically correct society we live in, such behaviour is normally not acceptable. But, this the competitive football environment, where gaining any competitive edge to achieve a win is acceptable!

Think of the great successful football bullies of the past - Alex Ferguson, Jock Stein, Brian Clough and dare I mention our very own John Lambie, in such esteemed company.

I know Archie and Paterson are placid, level headed and decent individuals. However we are now marketing the club as 'Not so Cuddly Anymore' ------ So, can we become a wee bit nasty! ------ and start whinging more aggressively about not being prepared to accept this level of incompetence from match officials, when it comes to the big decisions!

We've not been denied a stonewall penalty this season - in my view.

We've got more immediate problems to worry about than perceived non-penalties.

I do not think we have many problems! Just more options with the excellent depth of squad Archie has assembled!

My point is that as a Club we need to stop accepting the stereotype responses!

Can't see the point in becoming serial whingers about decisions - you see what other clubs do (Arsenal being a very obvious example so-much-so that Wenger has become a cartoon complainer) - Celtic have historically inferred institutional bias and prejudice against them; The Rangers have taken their recent difficulties in the bizarre self-pitying direction of simulating biased refereeing in training matches - and of course publicising the fact in order to maximise their imagined grievance.

Personally I wouldn't want my club to go down that particular path - rather better, in my view, to make the observation and keep a diplomatic public silence thereafter whilst perhaps pursuing channels of communication with the powers-that-be. Given our perceived status and the fact that we probably spend less time in the oppositions' penalty areas perhaps we are hard done by when it comes to penalty kicks but to raise our profile on such a contentious issue isn't, I believe, the correct way to go about this.

Haven't seen yesterday's claims, or the one at Hibs, but I'm certain we should have got one against Celtic (not starting yet another debate about it Barney) so if these things 'even themselves out' we must be due a few decisions in our favour sometime soon. It's weird that Accies seem to get a few, 1 yesterday and 2 very dodgy ones to win games against Aberdeen last season spring to mind and Hearts got about 12-15 last season, including a ridiculous decision given against Devine, yet we've not had an away league penalty in 60 odd games

Last away League penalty was by Higginbotham v Motherwell 15/2/14.

Over 4,000 league matches, home penalties have been awarded on average every 7th game (306). Away penalties are 1 every 11 matches (193). My guess is there's nothing sinister in that and most other teams are probably much the same ratios. Reflects the amount of attacking done away as opposed to home I expect.

• Like 1

It's not just penalties. I've noticed how Elliott seems to realise the OP's point that challenging may swing the decision a few times, but at least it will nudge the officials our way on a few occasions, because officials are inclined to try and maintain a "balance" - not decide each issue on its merits. It's gamesmanship, but if we want to believe we're too superior to stoop to it, than we have to accept that we'll lose a few decisions that we might otherwise have picked up.

A bit of passion and aggression on the pitch isn't a bad thing.

Most games this season have seen all the passion being in the stands and not the pitch or dugout. And that's sad.

Big Col is right - a bit more passion, combined with a bit more savviness, would benefit us. For many years now our teams have lacked that fire in the belly.

The other side of it is that no-one would accuse Elliott of "histrionics" or being Lennonesque, but he sows the seeds of doubt in officials' minds in a subtle manner. It's considered and calculated, and it isn't unpleasant enough to earn a card. If you really object to his obvious scepticism as he calls into question whether the ball really, honestly did come off his leg before it went out (after it has clearly done so), then perhaps you're close to the Corinthian principles of our neighbours at Hampden. :rolleyes: IMHO a professional football club cannot afford such high-mindedness. :fan: