4 Points Adrift

TartanC4

Other teams have injuries too- Hamilton have key players out just now. We have elliot, booth and Osman out. Yes muzzy is long term but think a while ago we all knew he wouldn't be back. Brannigan was a great player but it was a huge risk counting on him being available after such a horrendous injury. Fraser has also a long injury history which everyone knows about but was still given a new deal as well last year and in reality is not exactly a proven premier league mid fielder. Archie gambled a bit pre season and its not come off. Should have replaced welsh with like for like if it has been possible.

I thought the defence played quite well and was surprised at the criticism of Keown who I thought had a good game.

But the 6 in front of them were useless. To catch the rest we need to start scoring. There's no doubt we are PTFC nil at the moment, a horrible phrase but we were never going to score yesterday. And Hibs were garbage. We deserved nothing out of the game.

All is not lost yet but Archie needs a revamp of attitude and tactics now and players in January. He's done it before.But this year appears less likely because we have been poor since the home Hearts game. I fear that the wonderful Chris Erskine is running out of time. OK we scrambled a couple of wins but they were hardly inspiring.

Would love a rollicking 4-2 win vs Kille. Let's actually try to score before they do. Lets start with Dools who is the only natural finisher on the books and let's hope Fraser can invigorate the dozy midfield miscreants.

I thought the defence played quite well and was surprised at the criticism of Keown who I thought had a good game.

But the 6 in front of them were useless. To catch the rest we need to start scoring. There's no doubt we are PTFC nil at the moment, a horrible phrase but we were never going to score yesterday. And Hibs were garbage. We deserved nothing out of the game.

All is not lost yet but Archie needs a revamp of attitude and tactics now and players in January. He's done it before.But this year appears less likely because we have been poor since the home Hearts game. I fear that the wonderful Chris Erskine is running out of time. OK we scrambled a couple of wins but they were hardly inspiring.

Would love a rollicking 4-2 win vs Kille. Let's actually try to score before they do. Lets start with Dools who is the only natural finisher on the books and let's hope Fraser can invigorate the dozy midfield miscreants.

While they may not have been world beaters, Hibs were certainly not garbage, in particular in the last 20 minutes when they dominated possession very effectively.

It's noticeable that just about every time we get beaten, people describe the team who beat us as garbage, poor, mediocre, average.... or something like that. So, just about every other team in the league..... every one is sitting comfortably above us in the league, with more points, more goals scored, and a better goal difference.... is, let's say, "garbage."

So the obvious question......

What are we?

Edited by Jaggernaut

Are you sure? To miss players due to injury is unfortunate; to miss so many due to injury is doubly so; to miss so many and then have so many of them pick up additional injuries when they should be recuperating looks more like the systematic mismanagement of injuries than increasing misfortunes.

Is managing injuries his responsibility ? Is he medically qualified to do that. Your point actually supports my point. If the medical department aren’t doing their job properly the responsibility falls at the team managers door ?

Is managing injuries his responsibility ? Is he medically qualified to do that. Your point actually supports my point. If the medical department aren’t doing their job properly the responsibility falls at the team managers door ?

Yes. You don't need a medical qualification to understand the figures. If you owned a taxi fleet which kept having breakdowns, and the same vehicles broke down just after repairs, you would be looking around for another mechanic.

It's noticeable that just about every time we get beaten, people describe the team who beat us as garbage, poor, mediocre, average.... or something like that. So, just about every other team in the league..... every one is sitting comfortably above us in the league, with more points, more goals scored, and a better goal difference.... is, let's say, "garbage."

So the obvious question......

What are we?

Hibs are fourth in the League, one point behind Rangers & Aberdeen...I'm sure they can play better than they did on Saturday but the first half was very even...they protected their lead competently after getting a fluke goal but hardly made a decent chance in the game...if we had got a.point, it wouldn't have been entirely undeserved.

St Johnstone and Hearts are not great sides just now and we have taken points off both of them recently. Despite the glaring deficiencies in our team and not having played well all season, we are within 6 points of four other sides in the League. This suggests that these other sides are not that great either.We won two games against Ross County & Dundee around Christmas last season and moved from bottom to sixth in a week.

As with every season since we were promoted, there is very little difference between most of the sides in the League. However, whereas this time last year we were a better team than our position in the League suggested, that's not the case this season.

Edited by Winter of '63

We have won 2 league games in 8 months! That equates to around 2 wins from the last 20. That has nothing to do with luck. It has everything to do with us being absolutely rank rotten.

I wasn’t talking about the last 20 games. I was talking about the Hibs game, when the result was decided by luck

Yes. You don't need a medical qualification to understand the figures. If you owned a taxi fleet which kept having breakdowns, and the same vehicles broke down just after repairs, you would be looking around for another mechanic.

Again you are supporting my point. ie the mechanics = medical staff

Again you are supporting my point. ie the mechanics = medical staff

Your original quote was: "in my opinion you can’t sack Archie on the basis that he has only had 2/3 of a squad available for most of the season."

I disagree. The medical record is atrocious - not because of initial injuries, but because of the long recovery times combined with the apparent succession of injuries picked up while recuperating. Even newly signed players like Woods and Nitriansky seem to fall ill soon after arriving. These are professional athletes. :o Ultimately, the manager is responsible for results, and if the staff hired to solve such problems is failing to do so, then he is also responsible for holding them to account and, if necessary, letting them go.

Put yourself in the position of a replacement manager: after looking everywhere to find problems that are soluble, where is teh most obvious problem? Physical fitness. Archie can pre-empt our notional replacement manager by finding out where the problem is, and if that happens those responsible for physical fitness had better have some first-rate excuses and some progress to report. :unsure:

Your original quote was: "in my opinion you can’t sack Archie on the basis that he has only had 2/3 of a squad available for most of the season."

I disagree. The medical record is atrocious - not because of initial injuries, but because of the long recovery times combined with the apparent succession of injuries picked up while recuperating. Even newly signed players like Woods and Nitriansky seem to fall ill soon after arriving. These are professional athletes. :o Ultimately, the manager is responsible for results, and if the staff hired to solve such problems is failing to do so, then he is also responsible for holding them to account and, if necessary, letting them go.

Put yourself in the position of a replacement manager: after looking everywhere to find problems that are soluble, where is teh most obvious problem? Physical fitness. Archie can pre-empt our notional replacement manager by finding out where the problem is, and if that happens those responsible for physical fitness had better have some first-rate excuses and some progress to report. :unsure:

That’s right - the right resources aren’t available to him, so it isn’t right to sack him. But once again your argument has come round to the players fitness being the responsibility of the medical staff.