The Manager

javeajag

I don't get the logic of your argument LIB, for a number of reasons: First, the Championship will have changed almost completely w.r.t. players and managers since we were there, so prior knowledge can be discounted. Second, Archibald's success in getting us promotion was largely a result of Macnamarra's efforts. Third, Archibald's major flaw - his apparent inflexibility and slowness of reaction during games will not become any less of a burden in the Championship. Fourth, he is currently surviving on goodwill, and that would have gone from both the Board and the fans by next season. A poor start to the season (not unknown) would place him under all sorts of pressure, so we would be back where we started but a rung down the ladder. Fifth, relegation will mean a reduced player budget and a depleted squad, and that will call for a more imaginative approach - something, for all his attributes, that Archibald manifestly lacks. Unless the Board have someone significantly better than Archibald in their sights who is immediately available, I see no option other than for the Board to back Archibald and allow him to sign some more players in January. If we get relegated, he goes the following day, and that should be made clear to him now. As someone has said it is not Alan Archibald FC.

If the board has been doing its job, then it will have a good idea at all times who might be suitable for taking Archie's place: that's part of its duties. (Against that, the scouting system seems to have turned up some real duds, and the prospects for the dugout may be just the same.) You may be right that it's simply too late to rescue the club from the drop, but IMHO that's a little pessimistic. If things keep going as they have been doing, then relegation is inevitable: that's why changing the manager would seem to be the safer option at this stage.

I am not suggesting that the drop is inevitable. The point I was trying to make was that Archie should be given one more chance to save us from the drop by being allowed to bring in new players. But he must know that he is in the last chance saloon. I hope that he is given, and takes, the chance to turn things round.

Not sure what the relegated team point has to do with it

I was referring to your post re the BBC survey that indicated clubs changing their manager were likely to improve. I was merely pointing out that in four of the last five seasons the relegated club had in fact changed their manager in their relegation season.

I was referring to your post re the BBC survey that indicated clubs changing their manager were likely to improve. I was merely pointing out that in four of the last five seasons the relegated club had in fact changed their manager in their relegation season.

That survey was on the English premiership but it’s working for Killie too

Just a thought, surely, at this most "family" time of the year we should rally round. Surely no one would want to see someone sacked at this time of year!!

Archie has a family for Godssake, can we have just a little class.

I went through the post bertie auld era, and this is nowhere nearly as bad.

Regardless of what happens, I think this will be Archie's last season in charge anyway. If results continue to go badly, he should be given his marching orders. No man is bigger than the club, and no past achievements are worthy of being relegated over. On the other hand, if he has a good January, and somehow masterminds another great escape, I still think a few clubs will come calling in the summer. And this time, he should certainly jump at a new opportunity.

I think the atmosphere around the club is one of stagnation, both on the field and in the dugout. This can be seen in falling attendances and the prevailing attitude among the fans. I think Archibald needs a new challenge, and I think the club need some fresh thinking.

• Like 1

For what it's worth yellow n red, i agree with your second para, deffo stagnation, nail on the head. I don't agree with sacking, it's just my opinion that we should see out the season and i also think you are spot on assessing that if he keeps us up he'll walk into another challenge.

So that got me wondering, if say Archie does what most fear he won't and keeps us up and say wins the scottish cup (stay with me), and therefore becomes hot property, would we get a fee for him and shaggy if another club came in for him?

Edited by Guest

What a fickle lot you are.

Archie has brought in the players that pretty much everyone on here would have agreed to and voted for if the club was run by committee.

He currently doesn't have the players, that normally provide the grit and steel, available to him.

We are playing possession football in the main as that should play to the strengths of our passing game; the other team need to actually have the ball if they are going to score.

At the moment it's up to the players to find a bit more resolve, dig deeper and find the extra grit needed to come out and play the way they did for the first 30 minutes against Motherwell. I'm not asking them to do it for Archie, they need to do it for themselves.

The 10 goals we have gifted in the last 3 games have virtually all come from personal mistakes (or bad luck) and not from tactical incompetence. Those mistakes have come from players that have consistently been voted (by the same fickle fans) Man of the Match, Player of the month and Player of the Year.

You don't know what you're talking about!!! (you know who you are ;-) )

• Like 1

We expect to lose to Celtic. But if we lose to Accies then Archie should have the decency to tender his resignation

Should he aye?

Currently, Archie's Jags are on a run of 12 competitive games without defeat against Accies - the greatest run on the club's history against them.

I'd have picked another game for your knife if I were you, you mug.

This place. :rolleyes:

Should he aye?

Currently, Archie's Jags are on a run of 12 competitive games without defeat against Accies - the greatest run on the club's history against them.

I'd have picked another game for your knife if I were you, you mug.

This place. :rolleyes:

The only mug here is yourself. You can't see your blind loyalty to Archie to see that a defeat to Accies would mean three loses in a row to relegation rivals, which makes us utterly stink of relegation.

The only mug here is yourself. You can't see your blind loyalty to Archie to see that a defeat to Accies would mean three loses in a row to relegation rivals, which makes us utterly stink of relegation.

You've been calling for Archie's heid for the best part of 2 years, changing your stance with your pants as the peaks and troughs flow.

You're a total mess of a poster.

And you made a complete mug of yourself by singling out the Accies game when we're on our all-time greatest run against them.

• Like 1

You've been calling for Archie's heid for the best part of 2 years, changing your stance with your pants as the peaks and troughs flow.

You're a total mess of a poster.

And you made a complete mug of yourself by singling out the Accies game when we're on our all-time greatest run against them.

And what relevance is the unbeaten run against them in relation to how shite we are? Previous form is out the window.

And what relevance is the unbeaten run against them in relation to how shite we are? Previous form is out the window.

It's relevant because it was wholly achieved in the era of the present manager, and has never been achieved by any other Thistle manager. It demonstrates ableness beyond doubt.

The testing circumstances of the current season are well documented and the gaffer is only too aware of the situation as his non-celebratory demeanour in the Motherwell win showed.

Peaks and troughs have been a fact of life for even the greatest of Thistle managers.