Thistle vs Aberdeen - Game On

jagfox

Enjoyed the full coverage on Alba.

Very competent team performance with I'm guessing, some excellent instruction from the management team.

Battled for every ball and played some neat football in atrocious conditions.

I won't answer any post directly but will say that in my 40+ years as a Jags fan, I can never remember a point against Aberdeen being a bad one.

A quick note on Blackpool Jags post, which I feel has been taken personally by some Jags fans on the forum.

It's true we're all Thistle fans and it's fine that we all have different ways of showing it.

BJ's post was a negative attack from a positive fan. This is no different to the negative attacks from the negative fans, i.e. 'happy clapper' remarks etc.  

We choose to support our team differently and feel the pain in different ways.

In the midst of it all, after a jibe here and there, we all can't wait to beat The Rangers and lift a Cup one day. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

The game might have been bad but listening to Richard Gordon and Willie Miller's biased bleating banal commentary was equally painful. 

I heard Miller’s pathetic ‘report’ after the game. I wonder if he’s seen the foul by Christie on Erskine on TV and still thinks the ref was right? :angry2:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I heard Miller’s pathetic ‘report’ after the game. I wonder if he’s seen the foul by Christie on Erskine on TV and still thinks the ref was right? :angry2:

Of course he still thinks the ref was right,afterall that's the way he was taught to defend.

I thought it was an entertaining game which is against the radio and newspaper reports!  Both teams put in a lot of effort on a very wet and heavy pitch where the rain just would not stop.  It was terrible conditions for all and had me thinking back on dark days playing on red ash pitches wanting to be home watching "Going Live" with Gordon The Gopher and Phillip Schofield.

Every man on the pitch gave it their all and the crowd recognised and appreciated that.  You cannot ask for more in my humble opinion.   Good to see Christie back as his energy helps drag the team up the pitch and he is always there looking for a ball.  Cargill played some nice balls out from defence when he good.  Cerny again made a couple of good stops.  Where would we be without him?  Woods is looking better with each game, very much like (the much missed by me) Sean Welsh.  I like him and McCarthy in the middle as they are both mobile and seem to be able to interchange.  The only grip with the play is some hopeless balls were played to the "big man up front" which was no good for anyone and then a few other dinks into the box were more in hope, may Dools as a poacher would have been there, but Sammon was not and he was not getting enough support in the attacking third.  I do like Storey as he is strong and direct but I cannot work  out where his best position is.  He does not hide and is a very good player I just think he is not being used to the best of his ability.

There was a point about Archie "not sorting the midfield" which I cannot agree with.  We had Bannigan and Fraser coming back but they have since picked up other injuries.   Bannigan would be a great win for us if he was playing but after 2 seasons of inactivity I don't know what is best for club and him at the end of this season.  Add in Osman, Barton (although I prefer him as sweeper), Edwards, McCarthy we had lots of central midfielders there.  The issues we had were addressed with Woods coming in although lacking match fitness.  Taking the midfield theme this season has been a strange one as we undoubtedly have a strong squad, probably best since promotion but I and I'm sure people will be in agreement could not tell what our best XI is.  Last season we moved from 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-1-1 or similar from game to game and it worked.  This season it has not "clicked" and I could not tell you why.

34 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I thought it was an entertaining game which is against the radio and newspaper reports!  Both teams put in a lot of effort on a very wet and heavy pitch where the rain just would not stop.  It was terrible conditions for all and had me thinking back on dark days playing on red ash pitches wanting to be home watching "Going Live" with Gordon The Gopher and Phillip Schofield.

Every man on the pitch gave it their all and the crowd recognised and appreciated that.  You cannot ask for more in my humble opinion.   Good to see Christie back as his energy helps drag the team up the pitch and he is always there looking for a ball.  Cargill played some nice balls out from defence when he good.  Cerny again made a couple of good stops.  Where would we be without him?  Woods is looking better with each game, very much like (the much missed by me) Sean Welsh.  I like him and McCarthy in the middle as they are both mobile and seem to be able to interchange.  The only grip with the play is some hopeless balls were played to the "big man up front" which was no good for anyone and then a few other dinks into the box were more in hope, may Dools as a poacher would have been there, but Sammon was not and he was not getting enough support in the attacking third.  I do like Storey as he is strong and direct but I cannot work  out where his best position is.  He does not hide and is a very good player I just think he is not being used to the best of his ability.

There was a point about Archie "not sorting the midfield" which I cannot agree with.  We had Bannigan and Fraser coming back but they have since picked up other injuries.   Bannigan would be a great win for us if he was playing but after 2 seasons of inactivity I don't know what is best for club and him at the end of this season.  Add in Osman, Barton (although I prefer him as sweeper), Edwards, McCarthy we had lots of central midfielders there.  The issues we had were addressed with Woods coming in although lacking match fitness.  Taking the midfield theme this season has been a strange one as we undoubtedly have a strong squad, probably best since promotion but I and I'm sure people will be in agreement could not tell what our best XI is.  Last season we moved from 4-2-3-1 to 3-5-1-1 or similar from game to game and it worked.  This season it has not "clicked" and I could not tell you why.

Valid points throughout.

Re the highlighted bit, perhaps last season we changed our systems more to counter the opposition. In other words primarily for positive tactics. This season we changed more thru necessity, negative reasons. That is backed up with us firstly not having defensive strength in midfield for much of the season and secondly not having two full backs (well really a left back). Going three at the back simply to shore up the defence is all very well but isn't all that often a positive move from a tactical point of view. 

Saturday showed that we can defend a bit higher up the pitch effectively. I have found it slightly amusing how folk have advocated us playing 3 central defenders (nothing wrong in that) but also complain about us defending too deep late on in a game.