Ross County 22/12/18

Jaggernaut

5 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

You're sounding unreasonable now. Check out my previous posts.

Who would you suggest we go after

How am I sounding unreasonable? You're doing the "aye but who will replace him?" bollocks people done with Archie.  Its up to the manager to identify better players.

Seeing as you would like names though. Heres some. Dario Zanatta, David Goodwillie,  Chris Kane, Danny Mullen, Cammy Smith, Steven Boyd,  Jordan White, Nicky Clark. A bunch of players of a decent age with a good goal scoring record, who are either a) doing well at a lower level b) young players on the fringes of the first team in a league above or c) proven at this level but not first choice currently for whatever reason at their current club, so there smart arse, pick them apart one by one and tell us why we shouldn't bother signing anyone else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not going to be totally defensive on Doolan but last week he spent the majority of time chasing back players to his own penalty box while the headless chicken that is Miles Storey played the Centre forward role . In the last few years Doolan relied on Erskine and Lawless to make his chances, there was a telepathy there in the runs he was making , that’s all gone now ( Erskine doesn’t play and Lawless has gone )

Doolan is only 32 , he never relied on place to score goals , in a good balanced team he’ll still score goals but he’s probably the same as the rest of them with a lack of confidence.The system we’re playing just now means the forwards are isolated most of the time , no midfielders joining  in or even getting beyond the forwards.

Ultimately that’s down to how the manager sets up , how many goals have the midfield scored this season  ?

Stevie Lawless is a big miss. He was, IMO, during his time with Thistle a totally underrated and under used player. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hankey said:

How am I sounding unreasonable? You're doing the "aye but who will replace him?" bollocks people done with Archie.  Its up to the manager to identify better players.

Seeing as you would like names though. Heres some. Dario Zanatta, David Goodwillie,  Chris Kane, Danny Mullen, Cammy Smith, Steven Boyd,  Jordan White, Nicky Clark. A bunch of players of a decent age with a good goal scoring record, who are either a) doing well at a lower level b) young players on the fringes of the first team in a league above or c) proven at this level but not first choice currently for whatever reason at their current club, so there smart arse, pick them apart one by one and tell us why we shouldn't bother signing anyone else. 

Agree some of them would  do us a turn provided they aren’t under contract which most of them are , the reality is we’ll get hit with journeymen pros from the Lower leagues of England from Caldwell’s “ contacts “

Not one of these guys you mentioned will end up at Firhill 

Heres the Thistle cuddly mentality summed up:

• Canny get rid a Archie hes a legend
  • Canny get rid of Dools hes a legend
  • Canny get rid of Gerry Britton hes a legend
  • Canny get rid of Roughie hes a legend
  • Canny get rid of wee Davie the turnstile operator of 74 years hes a legend

Far too cosy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Big Col said:

And therein lies the problem. Who will sign for us? The players available in Jan are ones who are released from other clubs because they can’t cut it, players who aren’t deemed good enough to play for their first teams and are therefor put out on loan, and players who haven’t got a club at all because they’re duff.

This all comes back to the board - they kept Archibald on for far too long and allowed him to sign duds. Now they put their faith in a “manager” who has been a dud in his most recent career path.

Players would still sign for us - even if we went to league 1 they would still sign. We should be following the livi and Ayr United route and get players from the Scottish lower leagues- a player doing well in league 1 or 2 will stay see us as an advancement regardless of where we are sitting in the championship- possibly even more so with the training stadium.  Far better policy than currently scouring the English lower leagues for players no one else wants 

12 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Agree some of them would  do us a turn provided they aren’t under contract which most of them are , the reality is we’ll get hit with journeymen pros from the Lower leagues of England from Caldwell’s “ contacts “

Not one of these guys you mentioned will end up at Firhill 

I’m hoping his contacts are with Celtic- if it’s just English lower leagues then they really aren’t much better than Archie’s 

5 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Far too cosy.

Does that mean we can actually get rid of Caldwell, definitely not a legend and never will be , he’s the main problem, stuck in a safety first mentality 5 at the back with 2 holding midfielders , if you go to Firhill tell me how that system works .?

Last 4 games he’s persevered with this system and we sneaked a win against Dunfermline even though we were pinned back for almost the whole of the 2nd half and they hit the bar twice .

The main problem is Caldwell, can’t improve players that were already there , has no interest in the Academy, doesn’t watch the 18s games , never at the Reserve games 

100% the wrong appointment, your turn Jaquie Lowe 

37 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Some reasonable suggestions discredited by the suggestion of Goodwillie. The day someone like him is employed by our club is the day a lot of folk will chuck it (as several Clyde fans I know did upon signing for them). 

The boss has spoken.

Partick Thistle manager Gary Caldwell: "The players gave everything and controlled large periods of the game. Another ridiculous decision goes against us in an already difficult away game. 

"I think everyone in the stadium didn't think it was a penalty. I know Don, he's not a dishonest lad but he's tried to read the contact and go down and the contact doesn't come and the ref falls for it.

"Our reaction was first class - we kept pushing, we kept controlling the game, creating good chances. We just couldn't put it in the net - it's been the story of our season so far."

13 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The main problem is Caldwell, can’t improve players that were already there

Agree. So trusting Caldwell in the window is a real risk too. But the board have painted themselves into a corner. They have to give him the window and hope for the best. But this isn’t looking good based on Caldwell’s failure so far. 

6 minutes ago, elevenone said:

The boss has spoken.

Partick Thistle manager Gary Caldwell: "The players gave everything and controlled large periods of the game. Another ridiculous decision goes against us in an already difficult away game. 

"I think everyone in the stadium didn't think it was a penalty. I know Don, he's not a dishonest lad but he's tried to read the contact and go down and the contact doesn't come and the ref falls for it.

"Our reaction was first class - we kept pushing, we kept controlling the game, creating good chances. We just couldn't put it in the net - it's been the story of our season so far."

The “story of our season so far” under Caldwell has been him claiming we have controlled matches when there’s actually been absolutely no danger of us even threatening to win them. I am so, so sick of hearing him spout this stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Far too cosy.

Correct. Alan rough was a great servant and one of our greats but what exactly did he bring to the table when his appointment was heralded by the fans.?  Looking forward to been lambasted by the roughie  club.  The present board resemble the waltons, one big happy family. We need a strong ambitious board with a mean streak. This present marshmallow board are sleepwalking to oblivion. This disgraceful and alarming freefall from our lofty position  beggars belief and totally lies at the door of our incompetent weak board.

6 minutes ago, mulguy jag said:

Correct. Alan rough was a great servant and one of our greats but what exactly did he bring to the table when his appointment was heralded by the fans.?  Looking forward to been lambasted by the roughie  club.  The present board resemble the waltons, one big happy family. We need a strong ambitious board with a mean streak. This present marshmallow board are sleepwalking to oblivion. This disgraceful and alarming freefall from our lofty position  beggars belief and totally lies at the door of our incompetent weak board.

I’m presuming the Ronnie McDonald rumour to Firhill earlier in the week was rubbish 

Being beaten 2 - 0 by the top placed club on their own midden is far from unexpected.  It will be interesting to hear from those intrepid souls who went to Dingwall to see if the improvement I saw at the Dunfermline game compared to pre-Caldwell has been maintained, and whether there is cause for some optimism. 

Caldwell will rightly be given the chance to improve the squad next month, but I hope that Britton, Lowe and the Board very closely scrutinise his signing/transfer plans before sanctioning his expenditure, and make it crystal clear that he has a finite number of games to turn things around.  He should be given  a very specific target in terms of league position by a specific date in order to keep his job.  Those should be set to allow a replacement adequate time to avoid relegation. 

I get the impression - perhaps wrongly, that too much financial reliance is placed on the Weirs, and that Board members could dip deeper into thier pockets to turn things around.  That of course pre-supposes that they will back Caldwell's judgement.  If they don't, its a stark admission that they have made a serious mistake in hiring him.  

Maybe its time for the Trust to step up to the plate and assert themselves.

3 minutes ago, mulguy jag said:

We don’t know at this time whether it is a weak board , it was very cosy last year with David Beattie, Maxie , Gerry Britton and Archie and Scott Paterson

That has all been broken up , and to give Jaquie Lowe a bit of credit , she knew Archies time was up and decided it was time for him to move on,unfortunately it looks like she’s made the wrong appointment in Caldwell 

We’ll soon find out how strong/weak she is or you’re right we’ll sleepwalk our way to oblivion with another relegation. Your other point re Roughie is valid , think he was as shocked as everyone else to be invited onto the Board .

2 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I now make that one win in nine matches under Caldwell, with two draws against our fellow relegation contenders. All of the rhetoric and suggestions of progress that we hear from Caldwell are utterly meaningless in the face of such dreadful statistics. 

Our team is not good, but they are better players than this. That they aren’t performing as they should is largely the fault of the manager. 

2 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

W1, D2, L6, a 19% success rate. I bet he never had that on his PowerPoint presentation. 

Exactly half way through the season, 9th, 2 points behind part time Alloa. We’re going to need a fantastic transfer window otherwise there is absolutely nothing to look forward to under Caldwell.

So far there is no evidence that he  can turn this sinking ship around. The board must be sh•tting themselves. I know I am. 

2 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I have sympathy with your position. But I don’t think we have worse players than Falkirk, Alloa, QOS or a number of other teams in the league (even if they haven’t been showing it). A decent manager would have them performing to a higher standard than what they currently are. 

Agree with all of these. The last management team were rightly sacked for getting 9 points out of 8 games. The replacements who were brought in to win us promotion have got 5 points in 9 games. In my book that is not improvement.

Our entire mentality as a club is weak. Like seasons gone by playing against the so called Top 6 we accepted defeat in almost every game. Now folk dismiss games against the likes of caley, county, ayr as games where its almost acceptable to get beat!!

Look at livingston for example. It takes us top the split before we amassed the amount of points they have got already.

We are absolutely pathetic from top to bottom. The results under Caldwell are unacceptable and he should be under severe pressure.

Folk go on about negative Thistle fans on this forum. Is it any wonder?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Our entire mentality as a club is weak. Like seasons gone by playing against the so called Top 6 we accepted defeat in almost every game. Now folk dismiss games against the likes of caley, county, ayr as games where its almost acceptable to get beat!!

Look at livingston for example. It takes us top the split before we amassed the amount of points they have got already.

We are absolutely pathetic from top to bottom. The results under Caldwell are unacceptable and he should be under severe pressure.

Folk go on about negative Thistle fans on this forum. Is it any wonder?

Ran out of likes,again.