Corkys After Match Summary

Lindau

The reason we lost today was because he got the system wrong and because he failed to get the players fired up for it. It's as simple as that.

The reason we lost today is because we do not have good enough players.

Blaming systems and motivation is hiding from the truth.

The reason we lost today is because we do not have good enough players.

Blaming systems and motivation is hiding from the truth.

They're mostly the same players as last season. With the right man management we might have still lost that game, but it wouldn't have been as close, and we'd almost certainly have managed to beat at least two of Stirling, Cowdenbeath and Queens.

Considering we have all these experienced pros there is a total lack of leadership on the park and obviously off it. Everything about our club is flat at present. The heads went down after the first goal and the telling thing for me was that even after half-time there was little to no change in that attitude, the second goal was the end.

We need a leader on the pitch AND off it. McCall just spouts shite and tells us how he'll work on it in training. Does he actually take training or this left to Maxwell?

The loss of Gerry Britton is proving more costly than any one of us could have imagined and the lack of being able to fire up the players is worrying indeed.

Where was Cairney today? Has there been a bust up that is keeping him out the team? Our midfield was inept and anyone that thinks introducing Bryan Hodge to the game is going to change it (albeit that Rowson was injured) is seriously deluded. Hodge is gradually making Stevie Fulton look like a genius and is as far as I am concerned a complete waste of a jersey.

The atmosphere was also rotten from the off. Every one of us was expecting the worst today I reckon and even the news of Coco and Co heading for the hills couldn't do anything to raise the spirits.

We are a club that needs a serious lift soon or things could really spiral out of control.

Edited by Vom Itorium

They're mostly the same players as last season. With the right man management we might have still lost that game, but it wouldn't have been as close, and we'd almost certainly have managed to beat at least two of Stirling, Cowdenbeath and Queens.

Yes, and they are not good enough.

They were good enough in the first half of the season last year and were still good enough to avoid relegation comfortably.

We've got to be realistic here. We're skint. The team is "good enough" if the players are capable of a mid-table finish.

That's all good and well if that is the outcome at the end of the season but the lack of fight on show today is unacceptable for many a football fan. Losing's fine if the players at least show the right amount of effort and desire. We aren't getting that. We may well be good enough on our day but we ain't having many days like that this season and the commitment is just not acceptable. If you're gonna lose, lose with a fight.

They were good enough in the first half of the season last year and were still good enough to avoid relegation comfortably.

We've got to be realistic here. We're skint. The team is "good enough" if the players are capable of a mid-table finish.

The team is far from good enough. We have been absolutely dreadful since January. Other teams have improved since last season whilst we have steadily been in decline. As far as i am concerned, McCall is a dreadful manager but that does not excuse the dreadful effort displayed by those in Thistle jerseys today (and for most of this season)

Finally, to the moron who sits a few rows behind me who seems to have a hard on for Paddy Boyle..... get over it! He has been arguably our best player this season!

Edited by Gonzaga

The team is far from good enough. We have been absolutely dreadful since January. Other teams have improved since last season whilst we have steadily been in decline. As far as i am concerned, McCall is a dreadful manager but that does not excuse the dreadful effort displayed by those in Thistle jerseys today (and for most of this season)

Our record in the league for this year is p26 w7 L18 d1 relegation form.

Edited by Auld Jag

That's all good and well if that is the outcome at the end of the season but the lack of fight on show today is unacceptable for many a football fan. Losing's fine if the players at least show the right amount of effort and desire. We aren't getting that. We may well be good enough on our day but we ain't having many days like that this season and the commitment is just not acceptable. If you're gonna lose, lose with a fight.

I completely agree. Clearly McCall no longer knows how to get the best of the players he's got, in terms of either ability or application.

The team collectively is not performing to a good enough standard. With the right motivation, proper coaching and tactical intelligence of the orchestrator, they could and should be much better than a relegation battling side.

The motivation has to be, in part, down to the players, but as past history shows, the strength of character in the coaching set-up plays arguably a bigger part. Clearly where they used to be able to gee players up for a game they just can't any more.

I completely agree. Clearly McCall no longer knows how to get the best of the players he's got, in terms of either ability or application.

The team collectively is not performing to a good enough standard. With the right motivation, proper coaching and tactical intelligence of the orchestrator, they could and should be much better than a relegation battling side.

The motivation has to be, in part, down to the players, but as past history shows, the strength of character in the coaching set-up plays arguably a bigger part. Clearly where they used to be able to gee players up for a game they just can't any more.

You are absolutely correct. I think its time for McCall to go and have done for some time. However, what i was trying to highlight was the fact that most of our squad (assembled by McCall!!!) are gutless shitebags! The only point you make that i dont agree with is that the current squad are good enough to be "much better than a relegation battling side." I would say lower to mid table is about their level.

Edited by Gonzaga

I have backed McCall from day 1 even though Dickie Gough was my choice for manager, but his record from the turn of the year has sacking written all over it. Cant see us getting anything in the back to back Ross games and if that transpires I cannot see him surviving. In saying that, whats the chances of him leading us to a Cup Final.....wouldnt that just be typical Thistle????

I agree with the realism comment, however the (many) old players are all a year older, theres a lot of old legs in our team, so you have to take that into account; things are not the same as last year fr that reason

I would rather play a bunch of kids...it was embarrassing today the lack of fight and the heads going down....there are players who used to shout and motivate on the park...Robertson and Rowson spring to mind, they are just anonymous now

Edited by jaf

I have backed McCall from day 1 even though Dickie Gough was my choice for manager, but his record from the turn of the year has sacking written all over it. Cant see us getting anything in the back to back Ross games and if that transpires I cannot see him surviving. In saying that, whats the chances of him leading us to a Cup Final.....wouldnt that just be typical Thistle????

#Like you I have given McCall the benefit of teh doubt; today was just too grim though.

But we cannot affford to sack him, that would appear to be the simple fact of the matter.

And yo0u are so right, I can see us getting a draw and a win on pens in the semi final - just typical Thistle!!

These are the same players who performed so well against Dundee for our only league win. If they could do it at that game, why not any other game?

Mr McCall may not care what the league table looks like tonight - I do and so do many many fans.

DO US ALL A FAVOUR IAN AND RESIGN ON MONDAY MORNING COS YOU ARE PAST IT AND NO-ONE HAS ANY CONFIDENCE IN YOU OR FAITH THAT YOU CAN TURN IT ROUND.

GTF

I agree with the realism comment, however the (many) old players are all a year older, theres a lot of old legs in our team, so you have to take that into account; things are not the same as last year fr that reason

I would rather play a bunch of kids...it was embarrassing today the lack of fight and the heads going down....there are players who used to shout and motivate on the park...Robertson and Rowson spring to mind, they are just anonymous now

Also neither Robertson nor Rowson, who when fit are near certain starters, are what you could describe as inspirational captain like players. Unarguably very good pros but most definitely not natural leaders. Usually when a good pro starts to fade he can hold his place because of his leadership qualities. Sadly not one of our older players fits that bill.

I wasn't there today but when the fight goes out a side and the heads go down you've got to question the captaincy. No way am I excusing McCall but there's only so much a manager can do to influence a game after kick off. Certainly not as much as the experienced players that are on the pitch.

These are the same players who performed so well against Dundee for our only league win. If they could do it at that game, why not any other game?

I missed that game but if they did play well then, was it the motivation of getting one over on Harkins that spurred them on?

If that kind of self-motivation is able to gee them up, then why can't they be pumped up by the management for every game or most games.

My sad conclusion is that the team has given up on McCall (or he's lost the dressing room, to put it another way) and that they can't or won't perform to the Dundee game level again under the current regime.

Since we can't ditch the whole squad, we MUST have a change of management very soon to avoid the drop.

Sorry, Ian, your tea's oot.

Also neither Robertson nor Rowson, who when fit are near certain starters, are what you could describe as inspirational captain like players. Unarguably very good pros but most definitely not natural leaders. Usually when a good pro starts to fade he can hold his place because of his leadership qualities. Sadly not one of our older players fits that bill.

I wasn't there today but when the fight goes out a side and the heads go down you've got to question the captaincy. No way am I excusing McCall but there's only so much a manager can do to influence a game after kick off. Certainly not as much as the experienced players that are on the pitch.

When we came out for the second half nothing changed.There was no urgency or fight and as usual our subs had no positive efect this i feel is where the manager can influence.

The oldest(?) player on the park ( McNamara) was the only Jags player who looked like he gave a f**k, he wouldnt be doing that because of his love for Thistle he was doing it for professional pride and how i wish we had a few more with that attitude in our team.