Danny Mullen scores v Greenock Morton 07.01.2023

Camallain

• Camallain changed the title to Danny Mullen scores v Greenock Morton 07.01.2023

Another goal from a corner? Honestly can't remember a period on the last 40 years we're we've had so much joy from corners. 

In the early, mid-eighties we used to have Ian McDonald take the corners and at every one he would stick his hands up in the air as if to signal the start of some routine that they had extensively practiced on the training ground. Don't remember any of them ever working or any of them putting any defence under pressure. Got so bad that when Ian put his hands up everyone just assumed he was waiving to someone in the crowd to watch out for the ball clearing everyone in box and hitting them.

Perhaps the current period is some small amount of Karma for having witnessed that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like laukat I'm of similar mind re goals from corners. I'm also wondering about the balance of payments re dead balls. Not counting penalties, have we scored more goals (indirectly or directly) from dead balls this season than we've conceded? Yesterday for instance the score was 1-1. Earlier in the season we were giving the defence pelters for leaking goals from dead balls.

Tho' maybe not too serious a piece of info to have, I'm assuming we do practice scoring from corners and free kicks. Stands to reason we'd then be practising defending them as well.  

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Like laukat I'm of similar mind re goals from corners. I'm also wondering about the balance of payments re dead balls. Not counting penalties, have we scored more goals (indirectly or directly) from dead balls this season than we've conceded? Yesterday for instance the score was 1-1. Earlier in the season we were giving the defence pelters for leaking goals from dead balls.

Tho' maybe not too serious a piece of info to have, I'm assuming we do practice scoring from corners and free kicks. Stands to reason we'd then be practising defending them as well.  

Just a thought re the ban on heading at training. It’s difficult to gain anticipation of where headers are likely to go, so it’s no surprise that there are more goals from set pieces at both ends.

Just looked at the Jagzone footage again - no way is it Doc's goal, he's nowhere near the ball.  Although I can see why e.g. BBC though it was.  There were 2 separate celebrations, Doc's at the JH side and Danny's at the other.  Doc's body language is clearly that of a scorer, as is Danny's.  Still think it's an OG as Danny barely snicked the ball, which then crashed off the defender and skipped into the net.  Have to say we got the rub of the green there.