Half time report

Duke Gekantawa

4 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

So that we don't run out of cash mid-way through the season (as we would have done with a totally emptied margin of safety). Not so that we can start spending lots of money on new football players.

If you can quote where I said it allowed us to spend lots of money on new players I’ll give you £100

36 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I suppose Airdrie to an extent we’re hampered with not knowing what division we were in though not to the same extent as us.

Generally happy with how things are progressing.  Mistakes have been made and recruitment was not particularly good although there were factors in that.  However starting in 24 hours Doolan has a chance to show he has learned the mistakes he made over the summer in terms of recruitment 

Not sure if we can but I would take Anton Dowds back for the last half of the season, looks like there is still a player in there , he’s not an impact sub , play him behind BG .

Teams have sussed us out , with our threats down the left and right side . We need more of a threat down the middle of the park , Dowds coming back could solve that .

I would certainly play him before Adeloye and young Ricoh who is still learning 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We (and Ross County) were also handicapped by not knowing our league status till June. Raith for instance had a full month's start over us regarding signings re-signings etc. In fact longer than that as we had then still to await offers to a few existing players to either accept or decline. Many players Doolan may have earmarked for signing would be long gone, signed to other clubs. Kris has said so much for instance with regard to a defensive mid and a left sided centreback. The rumour that we were interested in Mulgrew to fill the latter was likely true, as I doubt there were any other suitable candidates remaining. The kinda desperate loan signing of McGinley further evidence.

Given the relative time restrictions we were under I'm not over critical re Doolan's signings. I don't believe we significantly profited from the play offs. So it's not that we had extra money to burn. In fact we all now know just how little we had in the kitty anyway. Being third in the league, if not to be celebrated is I believe something to be appreciated.

But let’s forget the extra cash the play off also generated …..

13 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure if we can but I would take Anton Dowds back for the last half of the season, looks like there is still a player in there , he’s not an impact sub , play him behind BG .

Teams have sussed us out , with our threats down the left and right side . We need more of a threat down the middle of the park , Dowds coming back could solve that .

I would certainly play him before Adeloye and young Ricoh who is still learning 

Completely agree.  The loan to Ayr has been great for him.  As you say whether we can or not will really depend on Anton and Kris.  Hope they can put any differences aside and get it done 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Ok not being funny but you don’t actually know then and as for WJ it depends on what next to nothing actually means … if we had actual numbers we could decide for ourselves 

It’s been mentioned on numerous football forums that the teams in the playoffs be it us or any other club make next to nothing from the playoffs.

the SPFL takes the lion share to compensate for the likes of the teams that get relegated from the premier league etc

56 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It’s been mentioned on numerous football forums that the teams in the playoffs be it us or any other club make next to nothing from the playoffs.

the SPFL takes the lion share to compensate for the likes of the teams that get relegated from the premier league etc

Well you said we got 20% of our gate which I estimate to £40-60k or a player ?

Having looked at the rulebook on the SPFL website:

C26.1 After deduction and retention by the Home Club of 15% of the aggregate of all ticket receipts and admission charges (gross excluding VAT) received or receivable by the Home Club in relation to a Play-Off Match in the Premiership/Championship PlayOff Competition, a levy of 50% (plus VAT if applicable) of the balance, after such 15% deduction and retention, of the aggregate of all ticket receipts and admission charges (gross excluding VAT) received or receivable by the Home Club for or in relation to the relevant Play-Off Match shall be paid by that Home Club to the Company not later than seven days after the date on which such Play-Off Match is played;

27 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Why does it matter? 

Because we have people saying other clubs have more money than us - no facts 

then we made no money off the playoffs-no facts 

Then well we made some but we were in debt - no facts 

We have a sufficient budget to challenge for the title just like Raith but we want to excuse that fact away.

12 minutes ago, javeajag said:

We have a sufficient budget to challenge for the title just like Raith but we want to excuse that fact away.

Irrespective of the budget Raith have a better team than us this season. Not by much possibly, but table doesn't lie. Football is played on the field, not on spreadsheets.  Very very few fans ( bar yourself ) expected us to be genuine title contenders and that is how it is panning out. Sometimes it's better to keep your expectations balanced. No matter what we will all be wishing Doolan the very best January transfer window. If that doesn't transpire I'm sure you will be vocal, so let's hope you will have no need to be vocal, meaning we are doing well. That would be splendid. 

22 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Nb your last paragraph is not a fact. It's an opinion. 

• Haha 2