I love thistle

robphil

Excuse my self indulgence but having attended estadio firhill since 1956 I hope you will bear with me. I have been struggling with a vile illness for three years now so I don't meander up the garscube road with the fleet footedness of my youth. Yesterday afternoon my family (all of whom except my wife are Ayr united fans) treated me to an afternoon in hospitality. There I met my old pal Denis mcqude plus countless other jags' fans, each and every one a delight. But what makes us unique? People like Robert Reid, players like daft Denis, and dear, old  Molly stallon who ran firhill during various regimes. Owing to illness my 68 year fascination with firhill may be drawing to a close. But, by jiminee, how I have loved my near ,seven decades at estadio firhill. And so, to those who follow after, there will be ups (precious few) and downs (far too many) but the maryhill Magyars are unique and however it came about we are so, so lucky to be part of the jags' family

Again, excuse me, I am approaching 74'and I had a few drinks in hospitality. I thank you one and all for reading this and, as we used to say in bygone eras... FIRHILL FOR THRILLS...

Edited by robphil
  • Like 17

8 minutes ago, robphil said:

Excuse my self indulgence but having attended estadio firhill since 1956 I think you should bear with me. I have been struggling with a vile illness for three years now so I don't meander up the garscube road with the fleet footedness of my youth. Yesterday afternoon my family (all of whom except my wife are Ayr united fans) treated me to an afternoon in hospitality. There I met my old pal Denis mcqude plus countless other jags' fans. What makes us unique? People like Robert Reid, players like daft Denis, and Molly stallon who ran firhill during various regimes. Owing to illness my 68 year fascination with firhill may be drawing to a close. But, by jiminee, how I have loved my near ,seven decades at estadio firhill. And so, to those who follow after, there will be ups (precious few) and downs (far too many) but the maryhill Magyars are unique and however it came about we are so, so lucky to be part of the jags' family

Again, excuse me, I am approaching 74'and I had a few drinks in hospitality. I thank you one and all for reading this and, as we used to say in bygone eras... FIRHILL FOR THRILLS...

Couldn't have put it better myself. Glad you enjoyed your day and hope you have more to come. Once a Jag always a Jag. :fan:

• Like 2

Currently just arrived in Trieste, Italy. We have been out of the UK for the past week and a half, with intermittent Internet coverage. I know that you have had a wonderful sports writing career, and your post  (as well as finding out yesterday's result) has really given me a wonderful start to a sunny day. What you say still brings joy, & I wish you many sunny days for the future. I hope the team management and players read your entry, & understand why they need to see the season  out in style! 

Up the Jags!👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robphil said:

Excuse my self indulgence but having attended estadio firhill since 1956 I hope you will bear with me. I have been struggling with a vile illness for three years now so I don't meander up the garscube road with the fleet footedness of my youth. Yesterday afternoon my family (all of whom except my wife are Ayr united fans) treated me to an afternoon in hospitality. There I met my old pal Denis mcqude plus countless other jags' fans, each and every one a delight. But what makes us unique? People like Robert Reid, players like daft Denis, and dear, old  Molly stallon who ran firhill during various regimes. Owing to illness my 68 year fascination with firhill may be drawing to a close. But, by jiminee, how I have loved my near ,seven decades at estadio firhill. And so, to those who follow after, there will be ups (precious few) and downs (far too many) but the maryhill Magyars are unique and however it came about we are so, so lucky to be part of the jags' family

well said that man. Glad you had a cracking day even if the football was a bit dreary.

44 minutes ago, robphil said:

My heartfelt thanks to my fellow Jags who took the time to read my witterings. Yesterday was a lovely reminder of exactly how much thistle means to so many of us.. 

glad you had a rewarding day 

20 hours ago, robphil said:

Glad you had a Great Day Phil - and I amongst many Jags Fans= thank you for always finding ways to slip in a mention of the Jags in your magnificent career as a Sports Journalist over the decades ( the Editor at the Telegraph must have been thinking Partick Who ?)  on many an occasion 😎

All the Best Mate & Mon the Harry Wraggs 😃

Jim Alexander aka Jordanhill Jag 

• Like 1

Many of us love your passion, Robphil,  even though (or because) most of us have nothing like your experience, wisdom and insights.

Keep posting! Every post is read with admiration and appreciation.

Best regards to you and your family.

Jim