V Ross County

PaleGreySky

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are fair game for being scapegoats. Pair of useless *****, both will probably come out in the papers in the next few days trotting out all the cliches under the sun "Raring to bounce back" "rub of the green" "lads bouncing in training" etc etc. I'd love to see an example made of one of them and they were punted.

There is nothing like constructive critisism.......and this is nothing like constructive critisism !!!!

Bryn got us to the semi final with an outstanding save against ayr in the dying minutes. What happened today was a howler but it happens. Sure no-one is hurting more than him right now !!!

Haliwell made a right arse of the 2nd goal, but Erskine had the ball in a good attacking position, lost it easily, chased back & gave away a needless free kick that led to the goal. Every bit as bad a Haliwell in my eyes.

Also, I thought Haliwell was poor at the 1st goal, the shot was straight at the side he should have been covering but he seemed to be out of position & had to dive. A very disappointing result :(

This team don't deserve my patronage.

A fukin lifetime (38 years) of disappointment after disappointment takes its toll.

Good bye :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I'm done here. :mad2:

Fuk em

Think you need urgent treatment, mate. If you've been following the Jags since '72 and you're going to walk cos we got beaten on penalties away from home against a team further up the league than us then........ sorry I've run out of words. For a moment I thought yours was a serious post.

Think you need urgent treatment, mate. If you've been following the Jags since '72 and you're going to walk cos we got beaten on penalties away from home against a team further up the league than us then........ sorry I've run out of words. For a moment I thought yours was a serious post.

don't blame him in the heat of the moment. i'm not sure i can take any more punishment, years of glorious failure and underachievement are starting to hit me, ross county have made 4 finals in 4 years. we've made 1 in 39.

Buchanan missed just the one sitter when he was clean through. He had already been given offside when he blazed over the bar.

But he didnt realise that at the time.

I think Liam's season was summed up when he got the ball and tried to take on the County defender. All he ended up doing was kicking the ball to the lad and then falling over.

Right now we are screwed with him up front. He is no good in the air, so high balls are useless. His pace is gone, so a ball over the top for him to run onto is out. He can hold up the ball and lay it off..............

So the question is.........what exactly does Liam bring to the team when he crosses the white line?

Edited by Stoggy

Try but he didnt realise that at the time.

I think Liam's season was summed up when he got the ball and tried to take on the County defender. All he ended up doing was kicking the ball to the lad and then falling over.

Right now we are screwed with him up front. He is no good in the air, so high balls are useless. His pace is gone, so a ball over the top for him to run onto is out. He can hold up the ball and lay it off..............

So the question is.........what exactly does Liam bring to the team when he crosses the white line?

HERE HERE

HERE HERE

WHERE WHERE?

My take on the game was that it was pretty pish poor fare that we probably deserved to win in the 90 minutes. Halliwell sold it and quite frankly I don't have that much confidence in him whenever he does decide to come for a cross ball. He's rooted to the spot at nearly every corner and relies too much on his defence clearing their lines. I really don't get all this man love that he seems to receive and don't think the defence in front of him are that confident on his abilities either. He's a decent shotstopper granted but he is far from the finished article and cost us dear today.

I thought the team looked the fitter of the two sides and we could easily have won the match if Liam had shown the same composure and cockiness he did with the penalty when one on one with the keeper. The 'old' Liam would've buried that, he's just not the player he was and that is also costing us.

Other than that I thought the team had one of the better shapes to it I've seen this season and the boys gave their all. To lose on penalties was gutting and I just hope we can take something from the fact that we've had two difficult away trips in recent weeks and performed well enough in both though not getting the result today. If we can take a bit of confidence from this into the game against the Bairns on Saturday and not let the heads drop I reckon our season can only get better.

Well done to all the hardy souls who made the trip today and must've had a long, long journey home and to the players for trying their damn-est though just coming up short. Anyone who talks about their Jags days being over on the back of today's result can take a flying **** to themselves as far as I'm concerned, one more fan lost but not one worth worrying about.

Although gutted by the result, I really enjoyed the match. Whether that's just because I don't get to see them much is open to debate. It certainly beat the turgid non-contact pretty-boy stuff you get in the EPL. Did feel for Halliwell as my last match was the end-of-season win at Dingwall where he played a blinder.

That was a sickener! Thought we played well and were the better side but the game hinged on three factors. Stupid tackle by McNamara (who I thought was excellent, otherwise) for their 1st goal, a horrendous mistake by Halliwell and Buchanans sitter...why did he not chip the keeper??? This is gonna hurt for a while!!

Eh? Are you sure that Alba showed the Ross County vs. Thistle game?

From where I sat in the stand Ross County were a far better side than us, and we were lucky to finish the match at 2-2 (OK, unlucky if you focus on Halliwell's inexplicable fumble). They were faster, tougher, fitter, and were playing circles around us with some really slick one-touch passing. Their movement off the ball was tremendous, and made us look ponderous most of the time. I'd have been delighted if we'd stolen the win, but I didn't fancy us at the penalty shoot out, and told my friends so even before the 90 minutes were up.

The real shame is that Halliwell and Buchanan (his miss when through on the keeper just cannot be excused) beween them have just cost the club 15 or 30 grand.

Devastated by the way the game ended.I'm still struggling to work out why McCall took Doolan off for Buchanan. Can't remember if Sid was on the bench, but him on for Grehan would've been understandable. Buchy on for Doolan was just stupid IMO. Not jumping on the "McCall out" bandwagon, but I think the manager needs some tactical assistance from the sidelines. Very few of his substitutions this season have made much sense, and some have clearly cost us points and hurt us quite badly.

A wee mate of mine in the club where I watched it asked me if I would swap the league win there last week for a place in the 'Alba Challenge Cup Final'. After some thought I decided that the three points gained there last week were more important, much as I would've loved to have done the back-to-back double over them.

Monni Thistle.

From where I sat in the stand Ross County were a far better side than us, and we were lucky to finish the match at 2-2 (OK, unlucky if you focus on Halliwell's inexplicable fumble). They were faster, tougher, fitter, and were playing circles around us with some really slick one-touch passing. Their movement off the ball was tremendous, and made us look ponderous most of the time. I'd have been delighted if we'd stolen the win, but I didn't fancy us at the penalty shoot out, and told my friends so even before the 90 minutes were up.

The lads that watched the game with me thought we were set out a bit negatively but when I explained our form this season they appreciated the thinking behind the formation. Compared to our previous form, six straight defeats against Div 1 opposition, a 2-0 away win and 2-2 draw at Dingwall is a vast improvement. I just hope McCall can sell the last two games as a positive to motivate the team rather than have them deflated about yesterday's outcome.

Anyway I too thought we were a shade the poorer side over the ninety minutes but only marginally. Imo we were the better side in the extra time period.

Jaggernaut, there's little point to your last paragraph. Whilst it's stating the obvious, there's countless ifs and buts that we can site that have cost or earned the team far more money.

Turn it the other way around, nobody lauds Paul Ritchie, possibly one of the most hapless centre forwards we've ever had, or Sean Kilgannon, a player who could only dream of aspiring to mediocrity. But for these two scoring a couple of penalties a few years back we might be a part time outfit, at best unable to get out of the 2nd Division.

There's plenty valid criticism that can be applied in general to Halliwell & Buchanan but putting a value on a couple of individual mistakes is unfair. Otherwise you should really look back and remember Mssrs Ritchie & Kilgannon with fond affection.

From where I sat in the stand Ross County were a far better side than us, and we were lucky to finish the match at 2-2

Far better????? In the 120 minutes I watched I never for a moment thought County would beat us....and I was right. We played well and it was three very poor,individual errors that I have outlined, that cost us dearly. As I said earlier, we all see games differently but I am bemused by you stating they were far better than us

Edited by Lindau

Buchanan and Halliwell both cost us a place in the final.

McCall was wrong to take off Doolan.

You really notice how bad the standard of football we watch is when you see it on the telly. Going to the games and watching them live kind of seperates Thistle games from the Premiership, La Liga or Champions League. But when you watch it on the same telly you really become aware of how terrible it is.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

I hope Paddy Boyle does not get himself too down about his miss. He was excellent throughout, and really has developed into a good wee player.

Thought the defence had a good day, as did Cairney. grehan is a carthorse but he is a handful. Doolan looked good first 30.

The 2 disappointments for me were McNamara and Halliwell. McNamara has made quite a few clangers. Halliwell dropped the soap.

Chris Erskine as ever looked good, he seems to enjoy the air in Dingwall as he has neve looked good anywhere else!

The lads that watched the game with me thought we were set out a bit negatively but when I explained our form this season they appreciated the thinking behind the formation. Compared to our previous form, six straight defeats against Div 1 opposition, a 2-0 away win and 2-2 draw at Dingwall is a vast improvement. I just hope McCall can sell the last two games as a positive to motivate the team rather than have them deflated about yesterday's outcome.

Anyway I too thought we were a shade the poorer side over the ninety minutes but only marginally. Imo we were the better side in the extra time period.

Jaggernaut, there's little point to your last paragraph. Whilst it's stating the obvious, there's countless ifs and buts that we can site that have cost or earned the team far more money.

Turn it the other way around, nobody lauds Paul Ritchie, possibly one of the most hapless centre forwards we've ever had, or Sean Kilgannon, a player who could only dream of aspiring to mediocrity. But for these two scoring a couple of penalties a few years back we might be a part time outfit, at best unable to get out of the 2nd Division.

There's plenty valid criticism that can be applied in general to Halliwell & Buchanan but putting a value on a couple of individual mistakes is unfair. Otherwise you should really look back and remember Mssrs Ritchie & Kilgannon with fond affection.

All good points, accepted.

Far better????? In the 120 minutes I watched I never for a moment thought County would beat us....and I was right. We played well and it was three very poor,individual errors that I have outlined, that cost us dearly. As I said earlier, we all see games differently but I am bemused by you stating they were far better than us

Maybe the "far" is stretching it. Maybe also I was too impressed by their movement off the ball. They did have more decent chances than us, though Liam's was by far the best.

As L-I-B stated, two consecutive visits to Dingwall without defeat at least gives some scope for optimism.

I should also add that I thought that Buchanan played well when he came on, showing true grit and determination. But the skill factor didn't follow....

Buchanan and Halliwell both cost us a place in the final.

McCall was wrong to take off Doolan.

You really notice how bad the standard of football we watch is when you see it on the telly. Going to the games and watching them live kind of seperates Thistle games from the Premiership, La Liga or Champions League. But when you watch it on the same telly you really become aware of how terrible it is.

We were all shouting at the TV when McCall took Doolan off and kept Grehan on the park. However, it was Grehan's knockdown that set up the shot from which we got our second goal.

I disaree with Jaggernaut's point that County were running rings round us. Apart from one 5 minute spell after they got the first equaliser, I thought we coped with them comfortably and created the better chances.

If it hadn't been for Halliwell's rush of blood to the head, we would have won in normal time. Indeed, we would have won in ET had Liam kept his composure in the same manner he did in the pen shootout.

Absolutely gutted but at least I take comfort in the fact that it was a game we should have won and that is a vast improvement on the weeks prior to our 2 week residency in Dingwall.

Now if we can beat that tit Pressley's team on Sat......

We were all shouting at the TV when McCall took Doolan off and kept Grehan on the park. However, it was Grehan's knockdown that set up the shot from which we got our second goal.

I disaree with Jaggernaut's point that County were running rings round us. Apart from one 5 minute spell after they got the first equaliser, I thought we coped with them comfortably and created the better chances.

If it hadn't been for Halliwell's rush of blood to the head, we would have won in normal time. Indeed, we would have won in ET had Liam kept his composure in the same manner he did in the pen shootout.

Absolutely gutted but at least I take comfort in the fact that it was a game we should have won and that is a vast improvement on the weeks prior to our 2 week residency in Dingwall.

Now if we can beat that tit Pressley's team on Sat......

That would do A LOT for the team's (and the fans') confidence.