Dundee Fc

lady-isobel-barnett

I'm going to be controvertial here and suggest that the SFA/SFL would be right to do nothing until the Dundee situation is sorted out. Much as I dislike Dundee, the governing bodies should be doing what is right for Scottish Football and I would argue that Scottish football is better with Dundee FC in some form rather than Beith or Spartans or Teuchter Utd. Penalising Dundee now would make it very hard to find the new buyer that the club needs to survive and the survival of Dundee FC should, rightly be the priority of the SFA/SFL.

A statement that they will review the situation in January would give the club a fighting chance.

Arguably that creates more uncertainty for a potential purchaser. I remember speaking to Gordon McDougall after the Livingston fiasco. He was livid (pardon the pun) that the SFA had assured him before he bought Livi that they would not be relegated to the 3rd. You'd have to be pretty naive to buy Dundee in the current climate without knowing what punishment was going to be dished out to them.

The bottom line is that if Dundee make it out of administration, then the sins of the past (the HMRC and director debt; money owed to former management team & redundant staff) will again be wiped clean. The contracts of their remining staff will be re-writen and a lot of small businesses (trade creditors) will lose out.

The SFA's trick in all this will be to administer sufficient punishment to make it evident to other clubs that administration is not a get out of jail free card, while ensuring that it's not so severe as to put the club out of business. It's a difficult line to walk, and they've shown no aptitude for making difficult decisions correctly.

John Yorkson had it right when he said that whatever decision the SFA make, it's unlikely to be popular.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be controvertial here and suggest that the SFA/SFL would be right to do nothing until the Dundee situation is sorted out. Much as I dislike Dundee, the governing bodies should be doing what is right for Scottish Football and I would argue that Scottish football is better with Dundee FC in some form rather than Beith or Spartans or Teuchter Utd. Penalising Dundee now would make it very hard to find the new buyer that the club needs to survive and the survival of Dundee FC should, rightly be the priority of the SFA/SFL.

A statement that they will review the situation in January would give the club a fighting chance.

You had my attention up til about there.

Just a thought here - nice to see all the post about how sad Dundee fate is during the a Home game for the team these poster support.

I know people do other things etc but if we dont get our srses in gear and attend games we will be in the same shitter as dundee very soon

Can't speak for anyone else but I have to work about 50% of weekends during the season.

If, and a big IF I know, Dundee manage to survuve then go on either to win this league this year or if rumoured SPL reconstuction takes place, they get themselves in a position to be promoted, what then?

The SFL have made an @rse of this by not having a penalty clause written in their rules for teams who go into administration and as such are leaving it open to abuse.

Oh, the irony. According to the radio the away attendance at Forthbank was between 1000-1200.

The official attendance is given as 1578, which probably indicates at least 900 Dundee fans. Tom Hosie could probably tell us just how poor Dundee's away support was at Firhill last Spring when they still had a chance of winning the league. Using a bit of licence it appears that about 600 made the journey yesterday that wouldn't have bothered a fortnight ago.

Nice gesture from the Binos re the £250 but they must have benefitted to the tune of nearly £10K from Dundee's plight. :).

What's the betting Dundee now tell us that they've got the best away support outwith the SPL and use that as a tool to avoid due punishment.

Seemingly they split the gate as well so Stirling did not benefit that much from the biggest travelling support outwith SPL (!)

I can understand them allowing buckets outside ground but why give them cash when Stirling themselves need every penny they can get?

A minute's applause is a bit much - there must be a good few embarrassed Stirling fans today.

Seemingly they split the gate as well so Stirling did not benefit that much from the biggest travelling support outwith SPL (!)

I can understand them allowing buckets outside ground but why give them cash when Stirling themselves need every penny they can get?

A minute's applause is a bit much - there must be a good few embarrassed Stirling fans today.

I don't think they did split the gate, Bryan Jackson said on days like yesterday he wished they still split the gate. Stirling aren't that daft I'd hope.