Keeper

Gordie

It looks as though Halliwell has lost all confidence.

looks as though (from his comments), Mccall has lost all confidence in Halliwell.

Ayr had Alan Main on a short term contract earlier in season, and my ayr supporting wife , said he was excellent, is he an short term option, even at 41 years old?

Edited by Gordie

I'm a keeper and I'd be right up for it - get my big size 11 fingersave jazz hands back out again - plus I'd do it for nowt ... plus Christ_Puncher is a keeper too although he has the propensity to get hooked by burds at half time! :thumbsup2:

Halliwell's a fkin bombscare!

Edited by gianlucatoni

I'm a keeper and I'd be right up for it - get my big size 11 fingersave jazz hands back out again - plus I'd do it for nowt ... plus Christ_Puncher is a keeper too although he has the propensity to get hooked by burds at half time! :thumbsup2:

Halliwell's a fkin bombscare!

look through the pain of the viseo highlights. i've still got faith in halliwell. he has sold 1 game (saturday) he lost the ball in the alba cup... aye the same alba cup that meant nothing, til we were a sniff from the final. all of a sudden he was a scape goat!

watch some of the saves he produces.

show me a shot stopper, who catches crosses and keeps a kick on the green stuff, n i'll show you a keeper who's playing above thistle's level!

show me a shot stopper, who catches crosses and keeps a kick on the green stuff, n i'll show you a keeper who's playing above thistle's level!

Show me Bryn Halliwell and I'll show you a keeper who's playing above his level.

He makes a decent save every few games. However, not only does he make plenty of obvious mistakes such as saturday and the challenge cup at Victoria Park, but he doesn't make saves which are only moderately hard to make. Eg. the first Ross County goal in the semi-final, the Dunfermline first goal at Firhill and the first QOS goal at Palmerston. All goals that could have been saved, but flew under the radar because they're not obvious mistakes, just missed saves. He costs us a lot.

I actually thought he was doing quite well, looked confident coming for crosses & seemed to catch more than Tuffey did. But the last few weeks since the Ross County game it's been a totally different Bryn playing. No confidence whatsoever & is sad to see. Before the County game, he wasn't brilliant, but he was steady eneough & good enough to be the number 1. Lets just hope Hinchy can get his confidence back up, as if he doesn't, he' only going to cost us more goals in the coming games.

Also, why is Hinchy always on the bench? I presume he's regarded as the no.2 & if Halliwell was to be injured/suspended, Hinchy would come in for him for the spell he was out. Hinchy isn't even playing reserve games this season, Scully/Shephard are, seems strange to stick him on the bench ahead of Scully when he has no match practice at all.

Show me Bryn Halliwell and I'll show you a keeper who's playing above his level.

He makes a decent save every few games. However, not only does he make plenty of obvious mistakes such as saturday and the challenge cup at Victoria Park, but he doesn't make saves which are only moderately hard to make. Eg. the first Ross County goal in the semi-final, the Dunfermline first goal at Firhill and the first QOS goal at Palmerston. All goals that could have been saved, but flew under the radar because they're not obvious mistakes, just missed saves. He costs us a lot.

are you being serious? blaming halliwell for the dunfy goal? :lol:

as for queens first, you're quite hard to please!

I actually thought he was doing quite well, looked confident coming for crosses & seemed to catch more than Tuffey did. But the last few weeks since the Ross County game it's been a totally different Bryn playing. No confidence whatsoever & is sad to see. Before the County game, he wasn't brilliant, but he was steady eneough & good enough to be the number 1. Lets just hope Hinchy can get his confidence back up, as if he doesn't, he' only going to cost us more goals in the coming games.

Also, why is Hinchy always on the bench? I presume he's regarded as the no.2 & if Halliwell was to be injured/suspended, Hinchy would come in for him for the spell he was out. Hinchy isn't even playing reserve games this season, Scully/Shephard are, seems strange to stick him on the bench ahead of Scully when he has no match practice at all.

spot on.

PGS...

lets not forget, he's playing behind 3 defenders, who only 5 months ago, the majority of thistle fans deemed absolute garbage.

you don't become a great defender over night. maybe the rest of the team are that sh!t that they make paton/kinniburgh/boyle look good.

if you were given the keepers jersey 5 months ago, how would you have felt playing behind them?

as for catching crosses. do you know mccalls tactics. what does he tell bryn to do... stay on his line... come for everything... you don't know. say for example mccall tells halliwell to stay on his line and shot stop, don't come for a cross... and halliwell watches every cross be won by an attacker... would you not eventually think... get out the way.

we've seem him drop two crosses, that have led two goals. do you know he claimed them and the players got out the way, or did they ignore his shout and get in his way.

all i'm saying, is... it's easy to judge an outfield player, but to judge a goalie is far more difficult.

watch nelson in the dundee rout. he misses a huge cross... 10 years down the line, does it matter? no... because he was playing behind good defenders.

halliwell is playing behind some idiots... cut him some slack. he's busier than your average keeper!

as for the dunfy game. watch their keeper flap at cross after puch after cross.... they all do it!

Edited by potty trained

Good point. Another of McCall's mysterious approaches to managing a team.

Anyone seen many of the reserve games with Ryan Scully between the sticks, is he any good?

I've posted something similar in a couple of other threads but I'm useless at linking them in posts.

So apologies for repeating....

Scully is seen as one for the future but has still a lot to learn. Looks like an excellent shot stopper but not ready yet. Sheppard perhaps is not seen to have as much potential as Scully but more advanced at this stage of his career.

Just guessing but most managers would probably continue with Halliwell for at least another game and hope he at least regains a bit of confidence. I don't think it would be undermining Halliwell/Scully/Sheppard/Hinchy if he then brought in an emergency loan keeper if there's one kicking around that we could get buckshee (reasonable to assume another club manager would want to see his 2nd choice keeper getting a competitive run out). Failing that I'd gamble on Sheppard ahead of Hinchy & Scully.

Not an easy situation and if McCall changes team set up whoever is in goal won't have the luxury of three centrebacks and a sitting midfielder for additional protection.

How about signing Scott Fox, who has been sacked by Dundee, on a 2 month deal until the transfer window? He would probably be delighted to get any money and training plus the opportunity to play. The only difficulty could be his relationship with McCall. Any views?

Edited by kni

It looks as though Halliwell has lost all confidence.

looks as though (from his comments), Mccall has lost all confidence in Halliwell.

Ayr had Alan Main on a short term contract earlier in season, and my ayr supporting wife , said he was excellent, is he an short term option, even at 41 years old?

I'm 44 so that means Main must be 43, as played against him a couple of times a year all through high school. Scored a fair few too so he's definitely not what we need!!! Sorry Alan!

Haven't seen much of Fox. but it's worth McCall having a look at him. Not been convinced by Halliwell from day one. Thought he could have done better at 3 of the goals Raith got on the opening day.

Edited by Duck snort

I've posted something similar in a couple of other threads but I'm useless at linking them in posts.

So apologies for repeating....

Scully is seen as one for the future but has still a lot to learn. Looks like an excellent shot stopper but not ready yet. Sheppard perhaps is not seen to have as much potential as Scully but more advanced at this stage of his career.

Just guessing but most managers would probably continue with Halliwell for at least another game and hope he at least regains a bit of confidence. I don't think it would be undermining Halliwell/Scully/Sheppard/Hinchy if he then brought in an emergency loan keeper if there's one kicking around that we could get buckshee (reasonable to assume another club manager would want to see his 2nd choice keeper getting a competitive run out). Failing that I'd gamble on Sheppard ahead of Hinchy & Scully.

Not an easy situation and if McCall changes team set up whoever is in goal won't have the luxury of three centrebacks and a sitting midfielder for additional protection.

Ah nice one, ta much. :)

I'm 44 so that means Main must be 43, as played against him a couple of times a year all through high school. Scored a fair few too so he's definitely not what we need!!! Sorry Alan!

Haven't seen much of Fox. but it's worth McCall having a look at him. Not been convinced by Halliwell from day one. Thought he could have done better at 3 of the goals Raith got on the opening day.

Alan David Main (born 5 December 1967 in Elgin, Moray) is a Scottish football goalkeeper. (Wiki)

are you being serious? blaming halliwell for the dunfy goal? :lol:

as for queens first, you're quite hard to please!

As I've said elsewhere, the central defence is also absolutely terrible. More than one person can be at fault for a goal. McNamara's mistake/foul, our defence backing off letting them shoot and then Bryn Halliwell were allreasons that goal went in. If you watch it back, look at where the ball goes in. Most keepers would have saved that. I've been saying for a while (more than a year) that our defence is rubbish - too slow, don't get back quickly, always out of position, never close to their man - but Halliwell being poor means we are liable to let in at least 2 goals in every game we play, no matter the opposition.