Thistle Merchandise

kni

As the title of the topic, I am very unimpressed with our team's merchandise - http://www.greavessports.com/partick-thistle-b503.

The current away top is hideous. The training gear is not in our traditional colours of red and yellow. With the exceptions of the heritage polo, there is nothing that I would buy in the leisure section. However, it is well known that horizontal stripes are less than flattering to those who are not as slim as in their youth.

The fact that Greaves is trying to offload much of last year's offerings suggest that they did not sell well. This means that the club merchandise income is not what it should be. We need to sell clothing that fans would be happy to wear on non-game days - e.g. 100% cotton polos and shirts (long and short sleeves), sweat shirts and trousers, rugby style cotton shirts and shorts, swimming trunks, fleeces, American-style stadium jackets, gloves, children's pajamas.

I would be interested to know what you have bought and your opinions on quality and value. My guess is that most fans just buy the home and away strips, hats and scarves and a few "accessories" (mugs would be appropriate). Please also say what you would buy, for yourself and Christmas gifts for others. We might just give the club some ideas and help raise more income for the club from higher Christmas sales.

I really like Greaves gear! :thumbsup2: I have bought 2 mugs which are brilliant, a hoodie which is much better quality than most of the designer stuff I've got, also I have 2 Jags tracksuits which are of great quality.

I do wish they would sell the orange goalkeeper kit which is a cracker. A lot of the stuff is not in our traditional colours but I love it all the same.

I have bought a few of the t-shirts and they are very good plus a few "bits and pieces" like keyrings, etc and never had a problem. Good point by kni though about suggestions for what people would buy but is not stocked as Greaves are good at taking suggestions and acting on them. For me I would like to see a fridge magnet (just because the one I have is the old logo whilst everything else I have is the new one).

Got brown hoodie, which is very good quality. 3 T shirts which i think are superb, zip top, polo shirt, both home n away top, centenary top kids have both tops, daughter has hoodie. all v gd quality. I like away top....but then i like to be that bit different.

would like to see bit more red n yellow but to date i've liked the geaves merchandise.

I'm fairly much in agreement with kni's post but that said if the merchandise is indeed that naff then the biggest losers are surely Greaves. Outsourcing brings problems but that's nearly always to do with quality and very rarely to do with design.

My own personal dislikes have been the Airdrie style "V" necks.

With the exception of the centenary top, unless it's in red/yellow/black, i'm not intrested, and won't purchase.

Bought plenty of Thistle tops, beach towels, mugs, tshirts, raincoats etc etc through the years, but haven't bought anything of the greaves leisure wear which is 'un-thistle'.

I want any Thistle gear to be in the club colours, and not look like airdrie/dunfermline or some other clubs gear.

With the exception of the centenary top, unless it's in red/yellow/black, i'm not intrested, and won't purchase.

Bought plenty of Thistle tops, beach towels, mugs, tshirts, raincoats etc etc through the years, but haven't bought anything of the greaves leisure wear which is 'un-thistle'.

I want any Thistle gear to be in the club colours, and not look like airdrie/dunfermline or some other clubs gear.

I'm the same.

A mate of mine brought up the idea of Greaves releasing the 71' away top next year commemorating 40 years since the League Cup win, similar to what they done with the Centenary strip.

I think it would be a great idea and seller which would just as popular as the Centenary strip has been so far. I remember they did make the 71' home and away tops back in 96/97 season (25th anniversary) but I was too young at the time to have got one my size now.

I'd see it as an opportunity missed to be honest.

Edited by northernsoul

You do realise the '71 "change" top was just plain white?

em no. the 71 change strip was red with yellow collars and cuffs (both matching Mr Bond)

'70 was a different strip every time we went on the park if I remember.

we won the league in white 'T' shirts black shorts!

Edited by Ma Ba'

I'm fairly much in agreement with kni's post but that said if the merchandise is indeed that naff then the biggest losers are surely Greaves. Outsourcing brings problems but that's nearly always to do with quality and very rarely to do with design.

My own personal dislikes have been the Airdrie style "V" necks.

Yes, horrible. But clearly a generic style designed for several clubs, with just the colour combination changing. It's one of the items I had no interest in buying.

As another poster indicated above, if it ain't R&Y&B, I'm generally not interested. It would be useful for Greaves to know that many (some) fans have this opinion.

Edited by Jaggernaut

• Members

em no. the 71 change strip was red with yellow collars and cuffs (both matching Mr Bond)

'70 was a different strip every time we went on the park if I remember.

we won the league in white 'T' shirts black shorts!

I'm remembering playing Dundee United at Firhill, 3-0 Denis McQuade hat trick and Motherwell at Firhill, 8-3 game. Both played with plain white tops, black shorts and white socks. However, I do know the top you mean and I'm pretty sure that's the top NS is referring to.

I'm remembering playing Dundee United at Firhill, 3-0 Denis McQuade hat trick and Motherwell at Firhill, 8-3 game. Both played with plain white tops, black shorts and white socks. However, I do know the top you mean and I'm pretty sure that's the top NS is referring to.

By complete coincidence, in a 2nd-hand bookshop in Dundee on Saturday I bought an old press photo of exactly that United match. I'm looking at it right now; it shows Denis skinning a couple of arab defenders, with Frank Coulston and Bobby Lawrie looking on. You're right about the white jersey, but the shorts don't look black (the arabs are playing in tangerine with black shorts); maybe red on this occasion.

As the title of the topic, I am very unimpressed with our team's merchandise - http://www.greavessports.com/partick-thistle-b503.

The current away top is hideous. The training gear is not in our traditional colours of red and yellow. With the exceptions of the heritage polo, there is nothing that I would buy in the leisure section. However, it is well known that horizontal stripes are less than flattering to those who are not as slim as in their youth.

The fact that Greaves is trying to offload much of last year's offerings suggest that they did not sell well. This means that the club merchandise income is not what it should be. We need to sell clothing that fans would be happy to wear on non-game days - e.g. 100% cotton polos and shirts (long and short sleeves), sweat shirts and trousers, rugby style cotton shirts and shorts, swimming trunks, fleeces, American-style stadium jackets, gloves, children's pajamas.

I would be interested to know what you have bought and your opinions on quality and value. My guess is that most fans just buy the home and away strips, hats and scarves and a few "accessories" (mugs would be appropriate). Please also say what you would buy, for yourself and Christmas gifts for others. We might just give the club some ideas and help raise more income for the club from higher Christmas sales.

Two items i would like to see are a Fred Perry style polo T-shirt done in Thistle colours and swimming shorts with the club logo would be great for going on holiday

I bought loads of stuff over the last couple of years - beach towels, training tops, mugs, hoodie tops and the fleece jackets. I think the vast amjority of the stuff is superb. However it is very very expensive for what you are getting. Basically I am sure a lot of the stuff would be the half price if it was just puma stuff without the Thistle badge.

I understand Greaves pay Partick Thistle about £50,000 a year for the contract. So if there has been a downturn in sales this is going to have a far bigger impact on Greaves rather than Thistle. I understand their are certain targets where if Greaves reach these with selling the Thistle merchandise then we get a bonus of around 5 or 10 grand. However I dont think we reached these sales figures the first couple of years when stuff was selling really well as the target is so high and if their has been a downturn in sales then it will almost be nigh impossible to reach the target this year.

I'm at that point in life where everyone I know is having weans, so I've bought a shed load of the baby sets. The further afield the parents are, the more a wee taste of alternative glasgow seems to be appreciated.

I agree with everyone who hated the V-styled training wear, it's total ming mong. I have liked and bought a fair few of the T's for myself, and they've lasted the distance well. Keyrings haven't lasted so well, but that could just be me. I've had a couple break on me this year, and probably won't get any more. Probably.

One gripe, if I can be so petty - the wallets. There's a velcro fastened one, which has got no pockets and so it pretty useless, and a leather one with the 1971 team photo inside which has lenty of room in it but nowhere to put a photo of your own family. Neither suit me, but the deal is somewhere in between the two.

Forgot about the question of cost/value raised by the OP.

So, to add to what I said last night - with regards value-for-money, I do think nearly very item Greaves sells is over-priced.

However, if it's Thistle colours, I don't mind feeling that whatever i've bought is rather pricey. As long as it looks 'completely Thistle', i'm happy.

As for quality, some items are great, some not so great as pointed out by others already.

But not only do I not like any of the abominations and mish-mash of merchandise that look (to me) 'un-thistle', IMO that coupled with the OTT prices, such items are a huge waste of my or any like-minded Jags Fans money.

I understand the clubs/greaves thinking that items which don't feature traditional Thistle colours (with just a tiny wee club crest to help the majority of joe public identify it (only on close-up inspection) as a Thistle related item) could prove attractive to some (but IMO, not the majority), but the other thing I notice whenever I go into greaves is that these 'un-thistle' items are usually much in excess of items which are easily recognised as Thistle items (just because its got Black or a tiny wee bit of red along with lots of say white or grey, doesn't IMO make it a 'real' thistle item). It seems that if there is a wide-range of 'un-thistle' items which don't sell well, then Greaves profit margins on these will be down.

And if as alluded to in another post by TL about the yearly value to Thistle of the Greaves deal, and fact it hasn't achieved targets let alone break any bonus levels, then it must throw into question the possibility of the deal with Greaves being renewed, and more-so, on the same (or even close to) level as before, which means in longterm, even less money to the club.

:lol::lol:

Even I woudnt be persuaded to sport a Thistle posing pouch on my holidays.

Generally I'm pretty happy with the stuff on sale. Bought a good hat and scarf set for my wee boy for a tenner which was decent value. Only complaint is the predominance of black with hee haw red and yellow.

I do agree there is a lack of toot for kids to assist with the brainwashing procedures.