Come In Boat Number 12, Yer Time's Up.

potty trained

If Doolan keeps scoring at his current rate then he might start attracting interest from other clubs. Lets face it, if Hodge can then Doolan can.

Yup same with Fox and, to a lesser extent, Erskine. Think that was the reason for each of them getting 2 and a half year deals.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say Hodge would be a great loss, he might end up being one of these guys that does unexpectedly well at a higher level, but like Cairney I've always thought he was carrying a bit of excess baggage.

After signing Willie K up I thought it was pretty clear we were only going to keep one of Robbo and Archie, Robbo might be the more versatile of the two but I suspect sentiment if nowt else will see Archie get the nod.

Although it might also be to do with coaching- does anyone know if Sid / JM have got the relevant badges yet? I don't think either has much to offer in a playing capacity anymore and as someone said above it might be time for them to dip their toes in the management water, with Archie and maybe Rowser (although his twitter page suggests he's looking outside football for a career when his time's up) moving into the player / coach roles.

I think we'll keep Paddy but Paton will go elsewhere- I'd obviously try and keep them both as they've been our best outfield players this season. I would get rid of Flannigan, flatters to deceive.

MacBeth's an interesting one- I assume he'll be kept on, otherwise I don't see why we would have loaned him to the gypos, but he is injured a lot and has plenty to prove. Don't know too much about the out-of-contract u19s, Burns seems to have fallen behind Fraser and McGrotty in the pecking order though, which doesn't bode well for him as he's older than both of them.

From the meet the manager night I got the impression he wanted to keep Rowson and Archie whilst Robertson maybe didn't have a future at the club (he didn't come right out and say it but his lack of enthusiasm compared to when talking about others suggested it to me).

In fact I got the impression he reckoned Rowson had a good couple of seasons left in him.

Surprising as I think he (Robertson) would be a good player to keep. Of course, maybe he's already indicated to management that he wants to move on.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'm a little surprised that all this discussion has focussed on playing without taking into account the side of the current team which has let them down - the psychological side. The number of draws and the failure to win after going behind indicate a "soft centre" that is a weakness in a competitive environment. It's obvious that McCall is not the type of manager that fires players up (or makes them fear him more than the opposition), and that isn't necessarily a fault; however, in that case someone on the field has to take on the function of encouraging and even, if necessary, bullying players, especially when they're in danger of losing confidence. In the past we've seen "Boab" do that, and more recently it looked as if Martin Hardie was doing it. At the moment, Archie, although captain, isn't.

So here's the $64,000 question: who will lead the team next season? That question hasn't been answered this season.

I'm a little surprised that all this discussion has focussed on playing without taking into account the side of the current team which has let them down - the psychological side. The number of draws and the failure to win after going behind indicate a "soft centre" that is a weakness in a competitive environment. It's obvious that McCall is not the type of manager that fires players up (or makes them fear him more than the opposition), and that isn't necessarily a fault; however, in that case someone on the field has to take on the function of encouraging and even, if necessary, bullying players, especially when they're in danger of losing confidence. In the past we've seen "Boab" do that, and more recently it looked as if Martin Hardie was doing it. At the moment, Archie, although captain, isn't.

So here's the $64,000 question: who will lead the team next season? That question hasn't been answered this season.

Hardie is only contracted to Dunfermline till the end of the season so hopefully we can maybe land him in the summer and if it means having to sacrifice Archie or Robbo to get him then I feel needs must.

Certainly know where you're coming from. Don't think we've had an up an' at 'em type captain since Danny Lennon. We've had a few lead by example players (eg Robbo & Rowson of the present squad) but they're more of the quietly go about things types.

I think the best we can hope for next season is a continuance of the good example senior player (if still about Archie as club captain and Rowson stand in captain) and hope we get in a noisier senior player. Hardie & Lilley have been mentioned as possible successors to McNamara & Donnelly and unlike the latter couple they're well noted for a less laid back approach in the leadership stakes.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the not too distant future Willie Kinniburgh was our captain. As often as not good team captains were once daft players on the park. Willie is evidently highly popular but he also shows signs of a real will to win attitude.

You are right in what you say but wrong to blame Archie. You need leaders all over the park not just one of two.

Certainly know where you're coming from. Don't think we've had an up an' at 'em type captain since Danny Lennon. We've had a few lead by example players (eg Robbo & Rowson of the present squad) but they're more of the quietly go about things types.

I think the best we can hope for next season is a continuance of the good example senior player (if still about Archie as club captain and Rowson stand in captain) and hope we get in a noisier senior player. Hardie & Lilley have been mentioned as possible successors to McNamara & Donnelly and unlike the latter couple they're well noted for a less laid back approach in the leadership stakes.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the not too distant future Willie Kinniburgh was our captain. As often as not good team captains were once daft players on the park. Willie is evidently highly popular but he also shows signs of a real will to win attitude.

It is important to have the good examples of Rowson and Archie, and they are important parts of our team too IMO. However I would happily sacrifice Maxwell to gain Hardie as a player/assistant manager. His vision while out on the pitch was evident, the impact he had while on the pitch was immediate and even when knackered he was still dictating play just by pointing.

I remember McCall talking about Kinniburgh's importance in the squad a couple of years back. He wasn't getting much of a game and when he did he was a liability, however his impact on team morale was great, and the perseverance McCall has shown in him is now paying off. He went on loan to Clyde and immediately became their captain, so it shows he has potential, but I think we're a couple of years off that.

The captain in a football team isn't that important a role in my opinion, well at least not in a good team where players should know what they are doing anyway. In addition to that, as Al Murray says there should be leaders all over the park. We need the experience and combination of having Archie, Rowson, Fox, and on the odd occasions Donnelly and McNamara who can all give confidence to the others. The thing missing there as pointed out already is a Hardie figure.

From the meet the manager night I got the impression he wanted to keep Rowson and Archie whilst Robertson maybe didn't have a future at the club (he didn't come right out and say it but his lack of enthusiasm compared to when talking about others suggested it to me).

In fact I got the impression he reckoned Rowson had a good couple of seasons left in him.

Yeah at the open night arranged by Honved, that's the impression i got too. i'd personally like to see all 3 stay as well as Paton and Boyle. Think a fews of the under 19's will also be signed up. The way forward for us now is to have a great youth set up. All the soundings coming out Firhill have indicated that is what they are striving to do. No way the youth set up will be sacrificed next season. Can see it growing if anything.

Just picking up on some comments re Kieran Burns.

Kieran is actually recovering from surgery and from what I can recall should be back fully fit for the start of pre-season training. I'm confident that a promising career is merely on hold at present.

Must admit in the few times i've seen the lad i've got high hopes for him. Fingers crossed this has just been a set back and he comes back stronger. The lad has been through some tough times, be great to see him flourish into a right good player.

Think this is a smashing thread with many varied and constructive views from our support. Very pleasant to read and conducive to imaginative thinking about the team's future personnel and shape. :blink:

Dr D.

Do i detect a hint of sarcasm? Now now, that will not do. Go to the back of the class and face the wall.

I wouldn't say Hodge would be a great loss, he might end up being one of these guys that does unexpectedly well at a higher level, but like Cairney I've always thought he was carrying a bit of excess baggage.

After signing Willie K up I thought it was pretty clear we were only going to keep one of Robbo and Archie, Robbo might be the more versatile of the two but I suspect sentiment if nowt else will see Archie get the nod.

Although it might also be to do with coaching- does anyone know if Sid / JM have got the relevant badges yet? I don't think either has much to offer in a playing capacity anymore and as someone said above it might be time for them to dip their toes in the management water, with Archie and maybe Rowser (although his twitter page suggests he's looking outside football for a career when his time's up) moving into the player / coach roles.

I think we'll keep Paddy but Paton will go elsewhere- I'd obviously try and keep them both as they've been our best outfield players this season. I would get rid of Flannigan, flatters to deceive.

MacBeth's an interesting one- I assume he'll be kept on, otherwise I don't see why we would have loaned him to the gypos, but he is injured a lot and has plenty to prove. Don't know too much about the out-of-contract u19s, Burns seems to have fallen behind Fraser and McGrotty in the pecking order though, which doesn't bode well for him as he's older than both of them.

If it comes to a choice between Robbo and Archie then i would keep Robbo he is far more versatile and a much better defender,However i think he is more likely to keep Archie than risk a backlash from the fans.I think Archie falls into the same category as Kenny Arthur did,becoming a favourite due to the length of time they have been at the club rather than being judged on ability.While in reality the only reason they have remained at the club so long is because nobody else wanted them.

Edited by macca

If it comes to a choice between Robbo and Archie then i would keep Robbo he is far more versatile and a much better defender,However i think he is more likely to keep Archie than risk a backlash from the fans

That and fact he signed Archie for dundee Utd and holds him in such a high regard.

I do hope we have a place for both of them next season. My concern with Archie is he has been injury prone for last couple of seasons and serious ones at that. I doubt he'd recover from another similar injury.

That and fact he signed Archie for dundee Utd and holds him in such a high regard.

I do hope we have a place for both of them next season. My concern with Archie is he has been injury prone for last couple of seasons and serious ones at that. I doubt he'd recover from another similar injury.

If Paton goes then Robbo is ideal alternative in the short term while the younger boys come through.

I'd keep Archibald, purely because I don't think we'll be able to afford anybody better to replace him.

He isn't the same player that he used to be but on his day there aren't many other players in the division who I'd take ahead of him.

If Robbo wants to stay then I'd be happy with that as well, he's a decent player at this level.

You are right in what you say but wrong to blame Archie. You need leaders all over the park not just one of two.

Nobody's blaming him ... they're just saying (and I agre with this) that he is quiet. He may 'lead by example' sometimes but he hasn't got the kind of personality that can drive a team on. Same with other senior players in the team - though they are good players for us.

Nobody's blaming him ... they're just saying (and I agre with this) that he is quiet. He may 'lead by example' sometimes but he hasn't got the kind of personality that can drive a team on. Same with other senior players in the team - though they are good players for us.

Yeah i agree. I think there is a touch of the arsenal about us (bare with me on this one lads, ok, don't jump in just yet , i promise i haven't lost my mind), in that we are too nice. We need a Mr nasty in there. someone to get in the faces of the other teams and give our own lads a kick up the backside when needed. If he can also play good football and chip in with a few goals that would also be great.