Erskine On Trial At Motherwell

northernsoul

If Jackie is building the team around such an inconsistant player as Erskine then relegation is a real threat. At his best he is a poor mans Gary Harkins or John Buckley. At his worst he makes Darren Brady look like an international class player.

i wish people would look at his stats, most of his goal with us were pens, a good but very lazy player, i would rather watch chris any day

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jackie is building the team around such an inconsistant player as Erskine then relegation is a real threat. At his best he is a poor mans Gary Harkins or John Buckley. At his worst he makes Darren Brady look like an international class player.

I imagine what Jackie is saying is that he sees Erskine best in a free/freer role than he had been playing a year ago. Similar to Harkins in that not much (if any) defensive duties will be required but different as Harkins played mainly down the flanks with his free role and Erskine is thought to be better or more effective thru the middle. I also believe that McNamara/Donnelly, as McCall before, predict considerable potential with the lad. The more last season progressed the more I think it looked that their prediction wasn't as ill founded as I thought earlier.

I suppose then that the other players especially midfielders will have to have quite rigid positioning to compensate. In that respect you could say that the side is built round Erskine. In practice tho', even if he's less inconsistent, I think he'll be subbed as often for tactical reasons than due to his form.

I get the impression that a player whose team is built around him is expected to play 90 mins every week. I can't see that happening with Erskine. If it was the case then I reluctantly have to agree with above post.

If we got offered £50,000-75,000, the hand would be bitten off as they say. Would not bother me at all if Erskine left, as long as we got a decent price. The guy is hugely overrated by Thistle fans who have a blind love for 'maverick' players who can be champagne one week and shite the next.

And for those who say they would rather have Erskine than Harkins, I must be watching a different player.

If we got offered £50,000-75,000, the hand would be bitten off as they say. Would not bother me at all if Erskine left, as long as we got a decent price. The guy is hugely overrated by Thistle fans who have a blind love for 'maverick' players who can be champagne one week and shite the next.

And for those who say they would rather have Erskine than Harkins, I must be watching a different player.

dont think any one has said he is great, just great (imo) to watch.

as far as GH goes chris scores more goal in open play and (i think) sets up more.

you must have been :thumbsup2:

Reference (e.g. Twitter or Facebook) or link to confirm that quote please. Someone, probably at Motherwell FC, must have told the paper that Erskine was on trial. If a sizeable fee was offered, subject to the trial, it would be difficult for the Jags to say no. There has been no comment from the club and it is possible that more information will emerge over the next few days.

What a stupid and pointless post. If you don't believe the guy, fine, but the guy probably met Erskine in a supermarket or something. Should he have recorded the conversation for the benefit of fans on here?

I just did; 69% of his goals came from open play. I find Erskine entertaining, but he isn't the player Harkins was/is.

Maybe so, that is your opinion. Harkins had far better coaching as a youngster & also played with players of a far superior quality to Erskine. Erskine has potential & he has shown in glimpses what he can do (the period towards the end of last season was his longest consistant spell for us, playing a free role). Erskine is younger than Harkins, is still relavtively new to full-time football & can only get better.

Maybe so, that is your opinion. Harkins had far better coaching as a youngster & also played with players of a far superior quality to Erskine. Erskine has potential & he has shown in glimpses what he can do (the period towards the end of last season was his longest consistant spell for us, playing a free role). Erskine is younger than Harkins, is still relavtively new to full-time football & can only get better.

And none of that currently makes him a better player than Harkins.

Simple solution.Erskine leaves us for motherwell tomorrow.

January window comes around,we are offered harkins or erskine for the rest of season.

Who would u take?

Even though i hate him now,would take harkins any day of the week.

We could not afford Harkins wages. Why hate Harkins who got us a decent transfer fee and may saved us from administration? Narrow minded nonsense like that puts me off forums.

We could not afford Harkins wages. Why hate Harkins who got us a decent transfer fee and may saved us from administration? Narrow minded nonsense like that puts me off forums.

I love irony, I really do.

Narrow minded nonsense? Is it not a bit narrow minded to suggest the reason for thornwood jags hatred of Harkins? I don't hate him, but after the way he gestured to Jags fans in his first game against us I can understand why people might.

I love irony, I really do.

Narrow minded nonsense? Is it not a bit narrow minded to suggest the reason for thornwood jags hatred of Harkins? I don't hate him, but after the way he gestured to Jags fans in his first game against us I can understand why people might.

Ok to dish out abuse but can't take a ssmall gesture in return. Typical!

Ok to dish out abuse but can't take a ssmall gesture in return. Typical!

The GIRFUY sign after he scored was fair enough, the sly 2 fingered salute was a bit uncalled for. Also, it was hardly abuse and what stick he did get was from a small number of fans...until after his goal celebration. Like I said, I dont hate him but can see why some might.

The GIRFUY sign after he scored was fair enough, the sly 2 fingered salute was a bit uncalled for. Also, it was hardly abuse and what stick he did get was from a small number of fans...until after his goal celebration. Like I said, I dont hate him but can see why some might.

OK Fair enough. Didn't see the separated fingers TBH

I just did; 69% of his goals came from open play. I find Erskine entertaining, but he isn't the player Harkins was/is.

did he?

acording to the thistle site he has scored 12 goals in the 2008-2009 six of which were pens and has scored 16 in 71 games in total

i cant say for def but of the 4 goal from 2007-2008 season i am sure 2 were pens as well so he is 50% at best.

only my opionion but take away his pens and his scoring record isnt much to write home about, his passing was terrable at times with him trying the hard passes when a simple pass would have been better.

did he?

acording to the thistle site he has scored 12 goals in the 2008-2009 six of which were pens and has scored 16 in 71 games in total

i cant say for def but of the 4 goal from 2007-2008 season i am sure 2 were pens as well so he is 50% at best.

only my opionion but take away his pens and his scoring record isnt much to write home about, his passing was terrable at times with him trying the hard passes when a simple pass would have been better.

That's what I felt at the time. Edited to add, sometimes the ambition of those hard passes is desireable. Would you rather have 20 successful sideways passes that end up with the ball being stolen by the other team anyway, or 20 ambitious passes, two or three of which create real goal scoring opportunities. It depends on the opposition and the game really, but the latter is definitely more exciting if not safe.

Edited by twinny

I cant stand Harkins for 2 reasons.

One, it was bad enough him signing for Dundee. He then did an interview saying he was joining a club where he would be under pressure to win unlike at Thistle where it didn't matter as much. Sorry Gary but it matters a hell of a lot to me whether Thistle win every week or not.

Two, his gestures at Dens. I was in the main stand and clearly saw his sly 2 fingered salute to the Jags fans.

One, it was bad enough him signing for Dundee.

Have you thought that thru, Grant? What would have happened to us had he stayed on? My guess would be at best we'd have had to unload him and few other higher earners by the January to avoid administration.

In a rather perverted way we should be glad of Calum Melville.

Have you thought that thru, Grant? What would have happened to us had he stayed on? My guess would be at best we'd have had to unload him and few other higher earners by the January to avoid administration.

In a rather perverted way we should be glad of Calum Melville.

we screwed dundee over, 146 grand for GH :blink:

did he?

I'm missing two strikes somewhere, but his goals from open play would sit at 56% presuming they're penalties, so not half at best. I don't really care what anyone says, the guy demonstrated more footballing class in his time here than I can remember for a long time. Take his goal against Aidrie at Firhill - I don't have to give the date or the final score, anyone who saw it will know the one I mean - superb and completely pre-meditated. As much as I like Erskine (I'm stressing this again) I'd be convinced it was a fluke had he done it.

I'm missing two strikes somewhere, but his goals from open play would sit at 56% presuming they're penalties, so not half at best. I don't really care what anyone says, the guy demonstrated more footballing class in his time here than I can remember for a long time. Take his goal against Aidrie at Firhill - I don't have to give the date or the final score, anyone who saw it will know the one I mean - superb and completely pre-meditated. As much as I like Erskine (I'm stressing this again) I'd be convinced it was a fluke had he done it.

could be wrong but 8 goals is half of 16...so 50%

i am dyslexic but am pretty sure thats right :thinking: