Malmo 1-0

Big Dave

I'm not sure why this result is being highlighted as a "shock" in some circles. Over the past decades, I'd have put money on a Swedish side beating their equivalent Scottish counterparts nine times out of ten.

There continues to be an air of denial about our status in the overall scheme of things. We're much less significant than we like to think.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw one report this morning (didn't see any other papers so might not be only one) - which said "Rangers shock result".

Exactly how was it a shock? Sweden are currently a stronger football nation than us and Malmo are a fair side, who were well into their season while Rangers have a rookie manager and just started their season. A good result (draw or win) for Malmo was always on the cards.

Beaten to it by just a minute - have to type faster.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'm not sure why this result is being highlighted as a "shock" in some circles. Over the past decades, I'd have put money on a Swedish side beating their equivalent Scottish counterparts nine times out of ten.

There continues to be an air of denial about our status in the overall scheme of things. We're much less significant than we like to think.

Seconded.

had to laugh at mccoist who said at the press conference that he was disappointed to be losing the 'standard' of goal they had been - must've been a crap goal when the boy won the ball out wide, cut in , simple pass to boy in box who back heeled it for the number 7 to slot it into the top corner - nae bother coisty a real low 'standard' goal!

We can easily rejoice in an ugly sister defeat and not feel Scottish football will suffer. If the European money the ugly sisters received was to filter down the divisions (thru the transfer market) then there could be an argument that early departures in Europe wasn't to be welcomed. Even then, as Tom Stronach points out, the rich just get richer and the gap just gets wider.

I'm not very clued up on all this co-efficient stuff but it looks to me that one "benefit" from a high rating is the number of clubs that can enter European football can increase. But it also appears the better the coefficient rating the better the seeding for the ugly sisters and thus entering the Euro Cup at a later stage the financial gap widens even further and they bring in even more foreign players to the detriment of the international side.

There's no point fretting over the coefficient because other teams are just as if not more crap in Europe anyway. As soon as we get more teams in Europe, their lacklustre displays immediately drag our coefficient back down again.

There's next to no financial trickle-down effect. The Old Firm are generally loss makers anyway, which is plugged by their benefactors. All a decent run in Europe does is let them buy another crappy lower EPL player the following season for an unreasonable price tag, cementing their domestic dominance.

The Old Firm doing badly in Europe is good for Scottish football.

To put this as politely as possible, I couldn't give a flying f*ck about the Scottish co-efficient in Europe.

Thistle is my first priority, and if (IF) we were to qualify for Europe, its upto us to make as much of an impact (in relative terms) as possible. We don't have to rely on the h*ns or tims helping us get a tie against a team from the Faroe Islands rather than a team from Lithuania. F*ck that. I'm afraid that is not enough for me to want these c*nts to win in Europe.

Second in my priorities would be the Scottish National team, however, that does not have any reflection on who I want to do what in Europe from Scotland. Ideally, I want the trend to continue where our best players move to the English Premier League anyway.

Lets hope they get humped in the second leg also. Lets hope the plastics join them aswell.

So that would be erm Naismith, McGregor, the hearts lad and the old guy. Yeah, sorry take your point. Oh and Whittaker, let's not forget him

Plus Broadfoot and McCulloch (not exactly world beaters, I know).

As well as that they have young players such as Hutton, Fleck, Ness and Wylde who could benefit from the experience.

But the minute one of the ugly sisters starts to make real cash out of the Champions League they start bringing in foreign players and before you know it there's hardly a Scot getting a game for them in Europe.

Possibly. At least the last time they did that they brought in a good standard of foreign player, as opposed to the English Championship standard players they do now.

Personally, I would much prefer it if more of the better young Scots players left Scotland altogether to advance their careers, rather than sign for Celtic or Rangers. However, I don't want us to go back to the days where there were only two or three Scots per season playing in the Champions League. People would be quick to gurn about that the next time the national team got absolutely humped.

Failure of any Scottish team in Europe means the decline of the position of Scotland in the UEFA Ranking. That means that non-Old Firm teams have less chance to play in Europe. Therefore we cannot celebrate defeats of the Old Firm.

Sorry Siegy started laughing when started receiving texts about this last night (from Celtic fans who were just a little happy) and don't think have stopped since. I even went for a wee tour of the work today - in a dignified manner, none of your triumphalist nonsense. Was told to f*** off a few times and compared to a closet t** but goes wi' the territory. The GFITW normally call me an o***** b****** who can't afford a season ticket for Ibrox. The joy of being different and being hated in equal measures; all of which confirms my theory that we exist to act as a counterbalance to their bigotry. problem is that they can't work us out and science hasn't been able to crack the code!

I rejoice in OF failure. It's not as if we're laughing at a truly Scottish team being humbled. Far from it...

P.S. Meant to add that BBC News 24 seemed to take great pleasure in putting the boot into McCoist "yet to win a competitive home game at Ibrox" etc. (Think he's only had two games but the coat is already on a shakey one...) You'd have thought the British Broadcasting Corporation had fallen out with the footballing wing of the BNP.

Sorry Siegy started laughing when started receiving texts about this last night (from Celtic fans who were just a little happy) and don't think have stopped since. I even went for a wee tour of the work today - in a dignified manner, none of your triumphalist nonsense. Was told to f*** off a few times and compared to a closet t** but goes wi' the territory. The GFITW normally call me an o***** b****** who can't afford a season ticket for Ibrox. The joy of being different and being hated in equal measures; all of which confirms my theory that we exist to act as a counterbalance to their bigotry. problem is that they can't work us out and science hasn't been able to crack the code!

I rejoice in OF failure. It's not as if we're laughing at a truly Scottish team being humbled. Far from it...

Excuse my stupidity.what does GFITW stand for.if it's printable.

P.S. Meant to add that BBC News 24 seemed to take great pleasure in putting the boot into McCoist "yet to win a competitive home game at Ibrox" etc. (Think he's only had two games but the coat is already on a shakey one...) You'd have thought the British Broadcasting Corporation had fallen out with the footballing wing of the BNP.

:lol:

Aye, the BBC seem to have it in for him, for some reason. BBC Scotland did a bit of stitch up job on him on Friday's news, apparently. Maybe he humped some editor's wife and this is his shot at revenge!