Ptfc 1 Berwick R 3

Semi Nurainen

From OS After Match Reaction :

"Jackie was already casting one eye towards next week’s fixture with Dundee.

“It’s important to have strong characters in the dressing room and we have them. We are all really hurting right now but we can’t afford to be down for too long. We need to get our heads back up and on Monday start preparing for the Dundee game next weekend.”

In Lambie's day after a result like today's they would all have been dragged back in on the Sunday for a bleaching :angry:

Edited by Camallain

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inept, wasteful, gutless, lightweight and embarassing... and that's just Ian Flannigan.

Pish poor effort today with child-like mistakes costing us dear. Stewart was a passenger in the first half again, just like last week. Flannigan was a passenger until he was hooked and taking Erskine off in my view was a rookie mistake from Jackie Mac as it left us with no penetration in the side at all.

It's going be one lang hard season, especially if they persist in wasting a jersey by giving it to Flannigan.

Inept, wasteful, gutless, lightweight and embarassing... and that's just Ian Flannigan.

Pish poor effort today with child-like mistakes costing us dear. Stewart was a passenger in the first half again, just like last week. Flannigan was a passenger until he was hooked and taking Erskine off in my view was a rookie mistake from Jackie Mac as it left us with no penetration in the side at all.

It's going be one lang hard season, especially if they persist in wasting a jersey by giving it to Flannigan.

This is a season where we need everyone to contribute or in other words put in a shift.

Whilst Cairney was not too clever at the end of the last season he has been putting in a lot of effort so far this season. Ok, so not everything is great but he is clearly trying and IMO warrants a place in the side. I'd said before and I'm still of the same opinion that I'd prefer to see Bannigan alongside Rowser and Cairney in midfield with Erskine just in front.

Flannigan has good feet, though IMO may be more effective coming on later in the game, whereas Bannigan is always looking for the ball and trying to do something with it. Alongside Rowser and Cairney we have the potential for a decent midfield. Bannigan is a ball player that needs industrious players around him, both to win the ball and give him the space to play. I believe he has a lot to offer but the team but we need the bite of the Rowser and Cairney to give us the balance.

Am I alone in thinking the usually dependable Rowson was a bit off his best today?

I lost count if the number of times he was caught on the ball and harassed by two or three Berwick players.

Not the worst by any means, but poor by his standards.

I lost count of the times Rowson bust a gut to close down a Berwick player that Flannigan was closer to and was just mincing around. We need EVERY one of our midfielders to work their socks off in the shape McNamara seems to be favouring, Flannigan didn't do that and has never done that since his arrival at Firhull as far as I'm concerned.

Very concerned about that game. As pish and devoid of condfidence as we were last season, we still beat Berwick Rangers. How many times do we need to appoint rookies, suffer the consequences and realise it doesn't work? I'm concerned at the lack of ideas from the management. No confidence in Grehan it seems, taking off attacking players when chasing the lead against lower league cannon fodder, a refusal to address the forward positions.

Berwick are mince. They will be lucky to be in the top half of the third division this season, its even more embarrassing that Stuart Noble (anyone who was at that Peterhead game will know) is one of the worst players ever to play for us, and he bullied our defence.

Flannigan was an absolute joke. I never realised he was playing until he took a set piece. Complete shitebag.

I think its justified to overreact when I've never seen such a poor display against such a bollocks team in all my years of supporting Thistle, at least the likes of Gretna were half decent, Berwick were a rank rotten part-time team.

Just for the record, last week was pish too, and we just about done enough. Thats the potential of a money spinning cup tie gone and a few hundred off the gate v Dundee after that heap of shite.

your a right charmer aren't you. Brave boy behind a lap top.

FFS calm down, s***e result, we'll get over it... So much went wrong yesterday that I don't know where to start. I only pray that the management team spotted what went wrong - there was lots to jot down and they'd have had writers cramp at the end of that one.

Fair play to Berwick though, they crudely set about us and probably did us an early season favour by exposing our defensive one-on-one weaknesses. So (hopefully) time to sort some serious stuff out. Also doubt if Sinclair will be able to last a season as it's pretty clear he's going to be targeted for some rough treatment. taking him out appears to be worth a booking and most players will get at least one attempt at chopping him before the ref steps in... seems to be the way of it.

As someone famously said: "The Maryhill rain won't take away my pain"; problem was it was a scorcher yesterday, the pitch looked ok, we had a good twenty-minute spell in the first; Erskine was Erskine (but wouldn't have him any other way as he creates out of f*** all) so why panic and take him off, one-on-one pace for K & B was worrying... Awww, f*** it, I said I wouldn't moan about this one. Bad day at the office, get the bad result in early, good will come out of defeat etc etc.

Oh and rounded a bad off with a great night on the Renfrew Ferry, Jam tribute band new Age Jam from Newcastle. If there any fans on this DG this mob are pretty good and were well worth the £8 as opposed to the £10 spent ruining my afternoon!

We'll be back and I'm sure there will be more highs this season than lows; not that we'll win promotion. And I've not even mentioned Cowden........!!

From OS After Match Reaction :

"Jackie was already casting one eye towards next week’s fixture with Dundee.

“It’s important to have strong characters in the dressing room and we have them. We are all really hurting right now but we can’t afford to be down for too long. We need to get our heads back up and on Monday start preparing for the Dundee game next weekend.”

In Lambie's day after a result like today's they would all have been dragged back in on the Sunday for a bleaching :angry:

Lambie has had his time at firhill. It was in the main great but why does he have to be brought up every time a new manager suffers a bad defeat.

Jackie should not be judged on one appauling performance and result.

Some of the stuff being written on here about Jackie and in particular Flannigan is shocking.

Every one of us will be angry and hurting after that result yesterday. Some people need to grow up and get a grip of reality.

Lambie has had his time at firhill. It was in the main great but why does he have to be brought up every time a new manager suffers a bad defeat.

Jackie should not be judged on one appauling performance and result.

Some of the stuff being written on here about Jackie and in particular Flannigan is shocking.

Every one of us will be angry and hurting after that result yesterday. Some people need to grow up and get a grip of reality.

:thumbsup2:

John is probably the most accomplished Jags manager in the past four decades, which is why we tend to compare our unhappy band of lesser mortals with him. All our heroes have feet of clay from time-to-time. We just have to get on with it.

sack the board, manager, team, ballboys and mascot...just thought i would get all the other ridiculas statements out of the way <_<

it was a crap result, get over it :thumbsup2:

Damn right! I couldn't agree more.

And while we're at it. "Sack McCall! McCall must go........now!"

What do you mean, he's gone? When?

How can you tell?

your a right charmer aren't you. Brave boy behind a lap top.

Funnily enough that’s what I thought, when you started the personal abuse – but actually I am brave in the flesh, I certainly wouldn’t be fazed by about a f@anny like you if that’s what you’re getting at. Still waiting to hear you retract your statement about only posting negative comments when we lose when, but again I won’t hold my breath waiting for your reality check.

Speaking about reality, this club has been in a vicious spiral of decline for almost a decade now, with the one false dawn (Bunter’s first season). Every cycle takes us further down, look at the duds we’ve had: GC, D&G, the Bunnet – Bunter was the exception, and he hopped the twig under circumstances that were never fully explained. Incidentally, I wonder if all the keyboard fantasists with ‘inside knowledge’ who had it on ‘good authority’ (what a bunch of fuds) said he was lined up for Falkirk, Rangers, Inter Milan (insert fantasy club of choice) have come on and admitted that they were talking p1sh – another instances of not delaying my respiration. Somebody mentioned the catering: from the same stable as the on-the-field fare – overpriced and sh1te, best part of two quid for a pie and over thirty bob for a cup of tea?

The latest bunch of duds have given us one p1sh result and one p1sh performance against poor opposition, and one absolute shocker against the bottom tier. Look at the players in the squad – most of them wouldn’t get a seat on the bench for the likes of Dundee, Falkirk, or Accies – and there are the same fantasists coming on here saying we have the look of the “71” side! Fcuk me, and that was before a ball was kicked – presumably after our excellent performances in the last two weeks, their optimism has grown to the extent that they think we’re probably better than the “71” side. Managerially and on the park, we have the look of the “04” side that the Bunnet took down to the second.

Wake up and smell the (outrageously expensive) Bovril.

Damn right! I couldn't agree more.

And while we're at it. "Sack McCall! McCall must go........now!"

/quote]

Couldn't agree more mate, time for change... has done sweet f*** all since he's been here and didn't even make an appearance in the dug out yesterday. What kind of manager is that then? Left two red faced weans wi' a clipboard and some crayons in charge. That wouldn't have happened in Bertie's day... now there was a manager with a mind set on attack i.e. let them attack us and we'll defend like f***! As i'm sure he famously quipped: "A draws is as good as a win but without the extra points."

Edited by Meister Jag

I posted this in the Flannigan new deal thread last month.

If McNamara pushes ahead with a 4-3-3 next season and Flannigan is in the midfield three then he will need to work hard on the defensive aspect of his game. With more ground to cover and having to track back more it will be interesting to see how he fairs. Hopefully playing beside Rowson can help him adapt to this, while at the same time still posing his attacking ability.

It seems that after yesterday and, especially how easily he was brushed off for the 2nd Berwick goal he needs to improve both his form and aspects of his game soon or the manager should drop him.

You can't afford to have a passenger in a midfield three.

I posted this in the Flannigan new deal thread last month.

It seems that after yesterday and, especially how easily he was brushed off for the 2nd Berwick goal he needs to improve both his form and aspects of his game soon or the manager should drop him.

You can't afford to have a passenger in a midfield three.

I agree 100% and was surprised that McNamara gave Flannigan a new deal. In a 4-3-3 formation, we need 3 battlers who can win the ball AND supply decent passes or crosses to the front three. Stewart, Flannigan or Erskine not be included in a 3 man midfield. The midfield should be Cairney, Rowson and one of the youngsters (Campbell/Bannigan/McBeth). Alternatively, Robertson could play a holding role in centre midfield.

I agree 100% and was surprised that McNamara gave Flannigan a new deal. In a 4-3-3 formation, we need 3 battlers who can win the ball AND supply decent passes or crosses to the front three. Stewart, Flannigan or Erskine not be included in a 3 man midfield. The midfield should be Cairney, Rowson and one of the youngsters (Campbell/Bannigan/McBeth). Alternatively, Robertson could play a holding role in centre midfield.

Flannigan &Erskine, can't play together in the 4-3-3 formation, play one or the other

Flannigan &Erskine, can't play together in the 4-3-3 formation, play one or the other

Yes they can, just both in the front 3 as against Celtic. Play them with either Stewart or Doolan as they're too similar and don't look like they'll be much of a partnership.

Tend to agree, especially when playing Flannigan left of centre. When Erskine plays we've three players up front that favour their left foot (Grehan also left sided). It's fair then to assume the forwards will prefer balls played in from the right. Flannigan can do that but he's next to useless defensively. I feel a mid three of either Campbell-Cairney-Rowson or Cairney-Rowson-Bannigan would be far more preferable.