Just In

angry gaz

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a cracking performance and what a cracking game. O'Donnell was magnificent and considering we only have him signed up till the end of the season, it would be a good bit of business by the board to get him on a longer contract, as the form we are in at the moment is gonna bring plenty of scouts to Firhill. Only negative for me is what will happen when Hutton returns to Greyskull as I think he is playing a major part in our upturn in form. After his 93 days are up can we still try to get him on loan for the rest of the season?. Finally lets give the manager loads of credit for getting him on loan in the first place + unearthing some gems in Sinclair, O'Donnell, Elliot and to a lesser extent Stewart. This league is gonna be tight but there is no doubt that if we can get Hutton tied up for the rest of the season, we could go mighty close this season

Gutted I missed this...great result and a very important one..IMO it was a must win and to go out and pump the league leaders 5-0 is tremendous.

Hopefully we have had our bad luck already this season and we can push on from here.

3 Points behind that will do me.

This season is going to be very interesting indeed and we have nothing to fear from anyone.

Looking forward to my next game :thumbsup2:

I'd like to know the crowd - my end of the Jackie Husband seemed busierthan the last Saturday match at home.

On the field, without getting carried away Jags turned in a really professional performance. OK, three of the goals came against 10 men, but they were more than worthy of the win by then. This group of young players is the most promising since 1971.

O'Donnell was a revelation- I had understood he was a fullback, but as an attacking midfielder/wi8nger he was immense. Elliot certainly has an eye for goal.Now, if only some one were to teach him how to head a ball!( But as ever we are looking for perfection.)

I'll stick my neck out and say that this is actually the best-looking Thistle team that I've seen in years. We've got some height, some really classy classy players, some dig, and guys all over the park who can score. Jackie and Sid deserve a lot of credit on the showing so far.

To anybody out there who doesn't go to games these days even if they could: get yersel along to Firhill to see these guys while they are still playing for Thistle!

• Members

What a smashing Friday might that was! Couple of questions for the stattos out there.......

Has Colin Stewart ever been the winning side at Firhill?

Just how many goals has Colin lost in how many games at Firhill?

This must be his nightmare ground.

It honestly could have been more given the way things went, but I don't think Morton played that poorly. For me O'Donnell was brilliant at right midfield and Sinclair had a great game too.

Good crowd tonight.

Agreed. I think it's also worth mentioning that Balatoni didn't put a foot wrong, and the Cairney continues to be right in the middle of just about all of our attacks; I think we can say that he's now back to being the player we hoped he would become two years ago.

After this we began to dominate, Sinclair in particular had a superb 2nd half.

When he's on a run, the way he knocks the ball past the defender to one side than just breezes past him on the other side is just brilliant to see. Poor guy had no answer, and probably had nightmares about Sinclair last night.

Not going to comment on individual performances, but when was the last time we beat league leaders by 5 (going on 8) clear goals? Jaggy Mac has really turned it round from the early season Cup exits and I take back everything I said then (*sound of humble pie being consumed - gratefully!*). Can't remember when we last showboated in 2 consecutive home games. Long may it continue.

Agree with those who have given credit to the 'Ton fans for making it a good atmosphere; even more so to those who stayed till the last kick of the ball. Fair play.

Can Jaggy Mac possibly be the new Messiah? (Bearing in mind that the last one wasn't terribly well received by his own people!).

If I was being honest, I don't really care about winning it, I just want us to keep playing this type of football.

"Sing when you're winning"? I'm feckin' hoarse.

Last night I was wondering whether an Iain McCall team could have produced that kind of performance and result. I don't think so. The whole atmosphere about the team seems to have changed, not to mention the style of football being played.

If I had any criticisms last night they would be 1) a tendency to overpass in tight little circles, especially when too near to our own goal and the opposition ready to pounce on any mistake; 2) a tendency to give away far too many fouls just outside our penalty box. I counted eight last night, most of which were daft fouls to give away. In contrast, we had only one foul in a similar position (the sending off incident). These fouls could well cost us goals.

Pretty sure an Ian McCall side did have the same result against Morton. Performance is another matter.

That was the time when Buchanan scored two goals and had three assists. I don't believe Liam B ever came near to that level of performance for us again and we suffered as well.

I do believe last night's Morton side is vastly superior to that previous one and likewise we're no longer dependent on one player. Five goals from five different players more than backs that up. I'm not getting carried away with the result but it's good to know that no opponents can single out one Jags player for extra marking to stop us from being effective.

That was the best team performance at Firhill I have seen for a long time, and against (allegedly) decent opposition.

What particularly pleased me (apart from the goals obviously) was our passing game, especially out of defence. Rather than just hoofing it clear, they looked for a pass. Changed days indeed. We weathered the 15 minute storm in 2nd half well and I am struggling to think of more than 2 real chances Morton had other than long range efforts which never troubled us as they were well off target.

Like other posters I'm not getting carried away on one result, but if we can stay lucky with injuries and suspensions and play like that every week...........

PS - thought the match officials were the best we have had this season. A couple of dodgy free kicks from the ref but got the big ones correct, ably assisted by the liners.

I await the crys of, there's always one, so i'll be that one.

But before I say anything, I had a great night, Thistle did play some fantastic football especially in the second half, most enjoyable.

However this wee love in that is the just in thread paints a false picture, Morton were pretty poor all night, and for the first half hour at least we weren't that much better, and if it wasn't for Morton being poor it could have been much different, they had some great chances they squandered.

Also, it was only 2-0 when their dude was sent packing,so Morton down to 10 men and our resulting 3rd was due to one mans idiocy.

To make things clear before I get a hounding, i'm not on a downer, i'm still very much on high from last night, big smiles and a spring in my step and everything (even after sitting with my English fiancee watching the rugby) and Thistle did play some fantastic football.

I'm just saying, 5-0 and this thread are going together to paint a picture of the game that I consider false.

Sorry

I await the crys of, there's always one, so i'll be that one.

But before I say anything, I had a great night, Thistle did play some fantastic football especially in the second half, most enjoyable.

However this wee love in that is the just in thread paints a false picture, Morton were pretty poor all night, and for the first half hour at least we weren't that much better, and if it wasn't for Morton being poor it could have been much different, they had some great chances they squandered.

Also, it was only 2-0 when their dude was sent packing,so Morton down to 10 men and our resulting 3rd was due to one mans idiocy.

To make things clear before I get a hounding, i'm not on a downer, i'm still very much on high from last night, big smiles and a spring in my step and everything (even after sitting with my English fiancee watching the rugby) and Thistle did play some fantastic football.

I'm just saying, 5-0 and this thread are going together to paint a picture of the game that I consider false.

Sorry

I disagree.

Also, how many times have we played poor teams & either lost, drew or just sneaked a crappy win? Too many too count. The fact that we comfortable & convincingly beat the top team in the division (at this moment) is a great achievement for this young team.

Maybe Morton weren't at their best, but maybe that was because we didn't allow them to be? Either way, to win any game 5-0 is a great achievement.

Lets just look at the age of the squad:

Fox - 24

Paton - 24

Balatoni - 20

Archibald - 33

Sinclair - 20

O'Donnell - 19

Hutton - 20

Rowson - 35

Cairney - 24

Elliot - 20

Doolan - 24

Subs:

Scully - 18

Lindsay - 18

Erskine - 24

Bannigan - 19

Stewart - 24

1st 11: 23.9

Team that finished game: 22.9

Squad: 22.9

Quite a remarkably young team/squad & 1 that could go on to great things. Also, Rowson's birth certificate must be about 10 years out!!

idiocy, no. rather, a cunning attempt to deceive the officials by deflecting the path of the ball away from the thistle striker and preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity. he almost got away with it, seemingly missed by the referee, until the lino's timely intervention.

these things are more likely to occur when your putting the other side under pressure, which we were, being 2 up and well on top at that stage.

After the first goal I could not believe the space that O'Donnell had, then seemed more concerned about the left side with Sinclair and they paid a heavy price for it.

O'Donnell looks like another excellent find from Jackie; he is very pacy and has a great cross on him. He keeps his composure in tight situations and on that performance will go on to play at a higher level.

With Sinclair, O'Donnell, and Elliot in the side we have real pace - teams in this league will struggle against this.

On Sinclair he was unplayable in the second half, when he knocks it past and runs the full back has no chance of getting the ball, he did it time after time last night. Best left back in the league by a mile.

Cairney was a wee bit quiet first half but second and especially the last 25 mins of the game was simple exceptional. Was great to watch.

Edited by Alan Murray

What I really like about Jackie's team is that whilst they pass it about, they do so with a bit of urgency and forward thinking. At times under McCall we'd watch endless nice tappy stuff along a back-line, until eventually one of the wing-backs got bored and went on a run and tried to put a cross in. Now we don't often have a player idling on the ball. If he's got it, he's immediately looking to move it on or to find space.

I think a big part of that is down to the raw pace of the team now. They feel comfortable playing more searching passes because players will chase it down.