Just In

thistle4tw

The manager's thoughts:

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2011-2012/november_2011/after_match_reaction

Jackie does seem able to put an accurate assessment toghether after games which is some comfort at least considering we have had managers in the past who seemed to have been watching a different game in their post match reactions. It must be frustrating for Jackie, or any manager, when players do everything that is asked of them in training but then do something else on matchday.

It is alright speaking well after the game but hopefully when he sees that things arent working he will change it much sooner than he did yesterday.We were abismal in the first half yesterday,infact about 20mins into the game i said to my son we are playing like the away team.I know that our forwards arent getting the best service at the momement but i think that they are all struggling up front.The next 2 league games are really important come out of them unbeaten and i think we will finish about 5th lose them and we will be in the relegation zone,

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The things that annoyed me most yesterday was the complete lack of urgency in our play and the lack of leadership on the park. With 15 minutes to go, no one was barking at the players telling them to get a shift on.

Aaron Sinclair was chasing back as the ball was going out for a goal kick. He stopped running and let it hit the fence and turned away leaving the keeper to chase after it - about 4 times the distance he was from it. We were screaming at the county players for doing the same thing and wasting time. So annoying.

We really lack a Danny Lennon figure on the park. Anyone in the squad willing to take up the challenge?

The things that annoyed me most yesterday was the complete lack of urgency in our play and the lack of leadership on the park. With 15 minutes to go, no one was barking at the players telling them to get a shift on.

Aaron Sinclair was chasing back as the ball was going out for a goal kick. He stopped running and let it hit the fence and turned away leaving the keeper to chase after it - about 4 times the distance he was from it. We were screaming at the county players for doing the same thing and wasting time. So annoying.

We really lack a Danny Lennon figure on the park. Anyone in the squad willing to take up the challenge?

Or a Boab McCulloch.

Daft as it may sound to a lot of folk but I think Willie Kinniburgh would make a good captain/leader. Obviously he has to ensure he's a first choice centreback beforehand but I reckon he's now got the necessary leadership qualities.

I nearly did myself an injury at that point.

I nearly did myself an injury at that point.

Me too. Similar to when Paton dithered and lost the ball in the first half and instead of chasing the guy who took it from him he turned around to try to blame somebody else. Thankfully Balatoni (I think) intervened to stop what looked like an impending goal.

From what I have seen this season there is not that much between any of the teams. Quite often results come down to a flash of brilliance, a bad mistake or a bit of luck on the day.

As Honved has said I am enjoying watching a team that wants to play an entertaining style of football. Does it always come off as planned - no but that should not be a shock with a young team and a manager in his first job. We need to stick with the team and the club as, in my opinion, we are at the start of what could be an interesting period for our us.

We lost the game on Saturday lets not lose our heads!

How do you go about reporting posts? You must know the forum rules by now? If we win ,we’re world beaters and Jackie is the next Celtic manager and Sinclair is off to Barcelona. But if we lose ,the team is crap,players should be hunted ,everyone in the league is better organised and have better players etc. I’m with you. We lost ONE nil, to a team everyone says will win the league. The team played poorly, these things happen.Was it really that bad?

Edited by jasmclaughlin

there is no doubt we cant be 2 harsh on christie elliot but i think he needs a period on the bench. he has done extremely well for a player hopping up from the juniors to the first division but leaving him in no.10 every week to do very little is not what is needed i reckon if we give tommy some starts he may come good and later on maybe the same could happen with elliot. if you think about it when he came in he scored 3 goals in 3 game. since then he's done zilch. :thinking:

You may have a point but lets not forget Stewart was pretty much a constant starter in the first 7-8 games this season and really didnt deliver that much at all in fact bar a goal against Stenhousemuir absolutely zilch. However maybe his more recent relegation to the bench on the last few numebr of weeks will maybe be the kick up the backside he needs to improve.

How do you go about reporting posts? You must know the forum rules by now? If we win ,we’re world beaters and Jackie is the next Celtic manager and Sinclair is off to Barcelona. But if we lose ,the team is crap,players should be hunted ,everyone in the league is better organised and have better players etc. I’m with you. We lost ONE nil, to a team everyone says will win the league. The team played poorly, these things happen.Was it really that bad?

We didnt play well because they didnt let us they hassled and hurried us all over the park. I said at the start of the season that given the average age of our team we will be in for a very up and down season. Looks like its panning out that way. Dont think there is much between all the teams in the league ability wise and a run of good results will put any team in with a right good chance of promotion

Anyone read Derek Adams comments about McNamara doing his team talk for him?

Daily Record

I didn't see anything wrong with what Jackie said, is Adams really trying to say that we have a similar budget to them?

County are a horibble, horrible side to play against with him as manager. Having said that, we were the architects of our own downfall by constantly playing into their hands.

Scully, Archie and Balatoni were our only pass marks. Don't get me started on Chris Erskine.

Daily Record

I didn't see anything wrong with what Jackie said, is Adams really trying to say that we have a similar budget to them?

County are a horibble, horrible side to play against with him as manager. Having said that, we were the architects of our own downfall by constantly playing into their hands.

Scully, Archie and Balatoni were our only pass marks. Don't get me started on Chris Erskine.

I guess Adams took McNamara's comments as a personal slight ie County are top because they've got a big budget and not necessarily because Adams is the best manager.

I suspect Adams is the type to get easily wound up.

I guess Adams took McNamara's comments as a personal slight ie County are top because they've got a big budget and not necessarily because Adams is the best manager.

He is prone to idiotic comments like the one in the article. Didn't he punch one of his own players a while back in the dressing room at Cappielow?

I don't know whether the average age of a forum poster has decreased or there has been an abrogation of all common sense and perspective but it appears the fickleness of Thisle fans has rocketed this season. I mean, the fact there was even a post suggesting Jackie may be in line for the Celtic job is indicative of sheer lunacy and a total lack of realism amongst some of our fans.

Yes, it was a frustrating affair on Saturday but if you havent't grown to expect that from a match involving out Highland friends then you obviously haven't seen many of our fixtures with them over the last few seasons. They are well organised and very hard to break down; like many others, I consider Derek Adams a grade-A tosspot but he knows how to make his team hard to beat. They have an uncanny knack of forcing us to play their game and we, nine times out of ten, usually oblige. If people were attending the game on Saturday with the hope of another Morton-esque hiding, that optimism was about as misplaced as the majority of our passes.

A few of our important players were outshone, largely due to the workmanlike perfomance from County; they pressured us in the wide areas and let us play in front of them in the middle, resulting in a number of punts forward with which Boyd and Munro dealt with ease. If a team stops our width, they stop us full stop. But to lambast individual players is a bit harsh in my opinion; the team as a whole didn't perform and, as some have already pointed out, that is symptomatic of a young squad and you can rest assured that it will happen again unfortunately. That said, Balatoni and Archie both had decent games; the fact McMenamin, bar his clean-through chance, and Gardyne were both very quiet exemplifies this. Scully had a very good game; great block from McMenamin, Schmeichel-esque.

So, merchants of doom, simmer down. We were playing, in my opinion, the eventual league winners, a team that, irrelevant of what that twat Adams says, has the biggest budget in the division and who possess players of great experience. We were outfoxed, it happens and it'll happen again.

Serious question;

How does Ross County FC manage to have a larger budget than us?

serious answers if you please.

Serious question;

How does Ross County FC manage to have a larger budget than us?

serious answers if you please.

They have never gotten into big debt (twice) the way we have.

They have lower overheads: their ground is smaller and easier to maintain and other charges (Business rates, police charges) will be smaller.

Probably better managed (in both senses) and have had good cup runs in recent years.

...and they have a multi-millionaire sugar daddy who balances the books and pays for ground and youth development ( I made up the last two, but he probably does). Roy McGregor, that's his name. Fair play I would do the same for Thistle.

...and they have a multi-millionaire sugar daddy who balances the books and pays for ground and youth development ( I made up the last two, but he probably does). Roy McGregor, that's his name. Fair play I would do the same for Thistle.

And yet just a season or two ago there was an urgent "Save Our Staggies" campaign with folk collecting spare change in buckets as the fans were going into the ground.

Daily Record

I’m guessing that Adams’ team talk went something like this:

Adams: Right boys, gather round. You’ll not believe what that McNamara has said about you all.

Player 1: What did he say, gaffer?

Adams: He said we probably had the biggest budget in the First Division.

Player 1: Let me at them. Anything else?

Adams: Oh yes, he said we spent the money wisely?

Player 2: Wisely?, I’ll give him wisely. I’m hoping he stopped there.

Adams: I wish. No, he said we had an experienced squad.

Player 2: How evil can you get? I’ve only played about 300 games in the SPL. Anything more?

Adams: It gets worse. He said he wasn’t surprised that we were top of the league.

Player 3: Right lets get out there and show them a thing or two. There’s nothing more disrespectful than saying that we are experienced and that you aren’t surprised we are top of the league.

Adams: Right boys, gather round. You’ll not believe what that McNamara has said about you all.

Player 2: How evil can you get? I’ve only played about 300 games in the SPL. Anything more?

Adams: It gets worse. He said he wasn’t surprised that we were top of the league.

Player 3: Right lets get out there and show them a thing or two. There’s nothing more disrespectful than saying that we are experienced and that you aren’t surprised we are top of the league.

:lol::lol:

:D The teuchter air clearly has a strange effect on people up there.

Well, actually, yes. I'm not comparing like with like here, but sometimes watching Thistle is like having a waiter throw your meal onto your table in a restaurant.