Scotland Withdrawals

kni

Six players out already - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/15610953.stm

"Charlie Adam, Graham Dorrans, Alan Hutton, David Marshall, Russell Martin and Lee Wallace have all pulled out... Adam, Hutton and Martin all completed 90 minutes for their respective Premier League clubs on Saturday, while Dorrans was subbed late in West Brom's defeat away to Arsenal."

If the injuries are mere knocks, the withdrawals are a huge insult to the fans and their fellow players. Any Scotsman who loves his country would love to play for his national team, even for a few minutes.

It is a bit of a joke, but are you surprised?

Surprised by those who are not regulars and need to challenge for a place in the team. They could be thinking that Levein will not give them a competitive start and could not be bothered to turn up.

I'm more concerned by the calibre of player that is getting called up as opposed to the withdrawls.

I repeat again, what does Ross McCormack have to do when he is getting overlooked and watching players from teams like MK Dons getting a game??

Craig Samson isn't even the best keeper at St Mirren!

I'd have no objections if there were more like Rhodes being given a chance in this situation - a youngster who might develop into a decent player for us - instead of guys like Cairney who've never ever looked like being good enough.

Considering the opposition we ought to be playing a few youngsters, bringing on players with potential (even if only a little) rather than guys that have been around for a while and not done much. Yeah, I know these days any opposition can make it difficult but I'm not saying all kids - a spine of experience, say Caldwell or Berra (maybe alongside Hanley or Wilson), Fletcher with the likes of MacArthur or Snodgrass, and Goodwillie or Rhodes up front. In fact aren't there other youngsters who could be getting a run out?

Edited by Mr Bunny

Yip, a complete joke. Would Adam be pulling out if he was still playing for St. Mirren?

If Adam is carrying a knock, I'm glad he's pulling out and getting fit for Chelsea. Far more important game for him, than some meaningless friendly in Cyprus.

Loved it when Levein stated he hoped to get two forwards on the park at the same time......just hope he realizes the warm up does not count.

I'm more concerned by the calibre of player that is getting called up as opposed to the withdrawls.

I repeat again, what does Ross McCormack have to do when he is getting overlooked and watching players from teams like MK Dons getting a game??

Craig Samson isn't even the best keeper at St Mirren!

There was no need to pick Miller for this game and he should have been replaced by McCormack. By not picking him, there is every likelihood that Levein could ruin the guys confidence.

Let's face it, the only point of going ahead with this game is to ensure that no-one else gets their filthy hands on Jordan Rhodes.

It is amazing to see the amount of players in that squad who have played league games against Thistle *fairly* recently:

Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool), Allan McGregor (Rangers), Craig Samson (St Mirren)

Defenders: Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Stephen Crainey (Blackpool), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Gary MacKenzie (MK Dons), Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfielders: Craig Conway (Cardiff City), Don Cowie (Cardiff City), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Barry Robson (Middlesbrough), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United), Ryan Stevenson (Heart of Midlothian)

Forwards: David Goodwillie (Blackburn Rovers), Craig Mackail-Smith (Brighton and Hove Albion), Jamie Mackie (Queens Park Rangers), Kenny Miller (Cardiff City), Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town)

Slightly - but only slightly - off topic, I'd forgotten about this guy's appointment.

He's certainly saying all the right things (which we all knew already of course). I wonder what the chances are that he'll make much difference? It's not that I doubt his sincerity or that he has the knowledge but I do doubt the willingness of the various cliques in Scottish Football to really help him.

Andy Roxburgh once said he instituted some key changes to youth football development when he was technical advisor (after he lost the job as Scotland manager) then he got work abroad. When he returned some years later it had been totally undone.

That's the real problem in our country - too many wee cliques with their own agendas and they care a lot more about their own wee bit of turf than what's good for the whole game.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'd have no objections if there were more like Rhodes being given a chance in this situation - a youngster who might develop into a decent player for us - instead of guys like Cairney who've never ever looked like being good enough.

Considering the opposition we ought to be playing a few youngsters, bringing on players with potential (even if only a little) rather than guys that have been around for a while and not done much. Yeah, I know these days any opposition can make it difficult but I'm not saying all kids - a spine of experience, say Caldwell or Berra (maybe alongside Hanley or Wilson), Fletcher with the likes of MacArthur or Snodgrass, and Goodwillie or Rhodes up front. In fact aren't there other youngsters who could be getting a run out?

If there wasn't an under-21 qualifier on Monday then I think we would have seen James Forrest in the squad and possibly Danny Wilson too. I know Rhodes is likely to feature in that match as well but I think he has been included with the senior side to ensure that England aren't able to cap him!

If there wasn't an under-21 qualifier on Monday then I think we would have seen James Forrest in the squad and possibly Danny Wilson too. I know Rhodes is likely to feature in that match as well but I think he has been included with the senior side to ensure that England aren't able to cap him!

But they still could, if they wished, friendlies don't tie a player to a country, as was seen by McCarthy being linked with being called up for Scotland despite him having several Irish caps already.

A couple of good goals last night.

I watched the game and then the RoI match with an Irish friend, who said that for him and many Irish guys it's a mystery why Scotland is so crap. He pointed out that the RoI doesn't have guys of the same quality as (to take modern examples) Adam or Fletcher, and yet their team regularly seems to punch above its weight.

I couldn't give him a satisfactory answer, and instead pointed to a succession of managerial failures. I do feel that we've never quite recovered from the psychological blow of Gascoigne's goal against us in Euro '96. I know it still makes me feel sick every time I fail to avoid watching it.

A couple of good goals last night.

I watched the game and then the RoI match with an Irish friend, who said that for him and many Irish guys it's a mystery why Scotland is so crap. He pointed out that the RoI doesn't have guys of the same quality as (to take modern examples) Adam or Fletcher, and yet their team regularly seems to punch above its weight.

I couldn't give him a satisfactory answer, and instead pointed to a succession of managerial failures. I do feel that we've never quite recovered from the psychological blow of Gascoigne's goal against us in Euro '96. I know it still makes me feel sick every time I fail to avoid watching it.

That's a good point. There aren't many RoI players I would have in the Scotland squad; but I think the fact that the Irish went out and got a genuinely top class manager, whilst we went out and got a guy who was sacked by Leicester City, probably explains a lot.

RoI don't have many great players but they do have a few good ones and Trappatoni has moulded them in to an effective, hard tae beat outfit - a bit like then Craig Brown era Scotland team.

That's a good point. There aren't many RoI players I would have in the Scotland squad; but I think the fact that the Irish went out and got a genuinely top class manager, whilst we went out and got a guy who was sacked by Leicester City, probably explains a lot.

RoI don't have many great players but they do have a few good ones and Trappatoni has moulded them in to an effective, hard tae beat outfit - a bit like then Craig Brown era Scotland team.

McGeady, Doyle, Keane, Given, McCarthy,Duff and Dunne would all easily make any Scotland squad.