Just In

thistle4tw

I'd like to echo the comments regarding Cairney, he played out his skin. Great shift from him. Dargo also put in a great shift and showed a good level of fitness, considering his lack of game time. I'd start him next week.

Relieved we got the win after gifting Livi their goal. Very poor from Archie and Balatoni, where was the communication?

Paton played very, very well in that position in front of the defence. That was one of the positives on Wednesday night, how well he adapted and played in that new role.

A few of my mates in the pub mentioned the theory that Paton's new role may be down to the loss of Hutton, who I thought was poor today and the last few weeks.

Paton's new role means the issue of his one footedness isn't that big a deal and it allows O'Donnell to come into the team, who offers good pace and width. So we have a team with probably the fastest full backs in the same team I can remember at Firhill.

It's a good sign from the manager and backs up the versatality in the playing squad he wanted at the Club.

Edited by northernsoul

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;)

I'd like to echo the comments regarding Cairney, he played out his skin. Great shift from him. Dargo also put in a great shift and showed a good level of fitness, considering his lack of game time. I'd start him next week.

Relieved we got the win after gifting Livi their goal. Very poor from Archie and Balatoni, where was the communication?

Paton played very, very well in that position in front of the defence. That was one of the positives on Wednesday night, how well he adapted and played in that new role.

A few of my mates in the pub mentioned the theory that Paton's new role may be down to the loss of Hutton, who I thought was poor today and the last few weeks.

Paton's new role means the issue of his one footedness isn't that big a deal and it allows O'Donnell to come into the team, who offers good pace and width. So we have a team with probably the fastest full backs in the same team I can remember at Firhill.

It's a good sign from the manager and backs up the versatality in the playing squad he wanted at the Club.

Eh!! Faster than Danny Kellachan????? ;)

How old are the guts on this Forum? All the talk of Ferranti Thistle and Alan Kellachan makes it sound as if all the contributors are experienced fans. I remember being at the Ferranti game with my Dad (I was 9 years old) and I remember it was a Sunday as my Mum wouldn't talk to us for days for going to a match on a Sunday. I didn't recall how many goals we scored but I do remember the reaction of the Ferranti players when they scored near the end, you would have thought they had won the World Cup!

Always nice to beat that mob, and how sweet that Kenny Deuchar won it for us!

Some really excellent fast passing going on, but I reckon still too much unnecessary sideways stuff. There were a few occasions in the second half when three Jags players were in a line charging towards the Livi goal, but instead of somebody going forward and getting a through ball, they seemed to be waiting for the sideways pass. Apart from that, little to criticize. We tried a couple of different things at corners, but they didn't come off. Our free-kicks just outside their box were wasted.

No "failures" yesterday, except that our strikers are still on strike.

Always nice to beat that mob, and how sweet that Kenny Deuchar won it for us!

Some really excellent fast passing going on, but I reckon still too much unnecessary sideways stuff. There were a few occasions in the second half when three Jags players were in a line charging towards the Livi goal, but instead of somebody going forward and getting a through ball, they seemed to be waiting for the sideways pass. Apart from that, little to criticize. We tried a couple of different things at corners, but they didn't come off. Our free-kicks just outside their box were wasted.

No "failures" yesterday, except that our strikers are still on strike.

Other than Dargo's chip in the first half (which let's be honest, if it had gone in we'd be talking about the quality of the goal for years) and Christie having a shot saved, also in the first half, I don't recall any real chances falling to the strikers. They both worked their socks off and I was exhausted just watching the effort they both put in.

I'd be more concerned if we had put numerous chances on a plate for them and they kept missing them.

That was the first time I'd seen Dargo. On the evidence of Saturday, I hope we can hold onto him as he looks a decent player.

Ferranti Thistle used to get mentioned a lot on John Peel's radio show. For some reason he had a soft spot for them. Don't think he knew much about football mind you.

John Peel was a big Liverpool fan. I remember him doing a music programme about the Bellshill bands (Teenage Fanclub et-al) and he did a detour to go to Shankly's birthplace.

the 11-1 game was superb! 2-0 at half time, hahaha!!!

what/who are ferranti thistle i hear this mentioned time to time what does it mean

Ferranti Thistle were a non-league works side who became Meadowbank Thistle(Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh) when entering the Scottish League before eventually moving to Livingston and becoming Livingston FC.

...and for those who think the current squad got it tough from the fans up at Culter...

the 11-1 team got BOO'D OFF at half time for only being 2 UP!

The motivation seemed to work, mind you ..... :)

Don't remember the team being booed off although there were murmurs of discontent.

However, I do remember that Rovers could feel a wee bit hard done by for being 2 down at half time and reading afterwards that Lambie read the team the riot act at half time.

Funniest thing about that game was Paul Kinnaird setting up Rover's goal with a cross that was attempted as a pass back. Goal was greeted with a huge cheer from the Jags fans (mind you we were 9-0 up at the time).

John Peel was a big Liverpool fan. I remember him doing a music programme about the Bellshill bands (Teenage Fanclub et-al) and he did a detour to go to Shankly's birthplace.

He was a complete obsessive- He got married in red and went up the Aisle to You'll never walk alone. Also his Kids' names are William Robert Anfield, Alexandra Mary Anfield, Thomas James Dalglish, and Florence Victoria Shankly.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

Wee bit late with this, however it was a very important 3 points for us. Got the job done. Paul Cairney was fantastic and I'd say our best threat at the moment.

Here's hoping for a win on Saturday and then a Dundee style resurgence in form going into our two home games, in a row against teams below us in the league.

Edited by broomhill jag

Wee bit late with this, however it was a very important 3 points for us. Got the job done. Paul Cairney was fantastic and I'd say our best threat at the moment.

Here's hoping for a win on Saturday and then a Dundee style resurgence in form going into our two home games, in a row against teams below us in the league.

Unleash the Jaggernaut :lol:

I'd prefer and ICT or St Johnstone style resurgence. You know, one that gets you promoted.

I'd prefer and ICT or St Johnstone style resurgence. You know, one that gets you promoted.

Clever.

However, the squad this season have shown they have neither the bottle or quality to go on such a run or win the league in general.

After a pish start, Dundee are a perfect example of what four victories in a row can do, both psychologically and league position wise.

So far this season, this squad hasn't shown any consistency like this. Yep, we have a young squad but until we manage to string a few wins together we will continue to look over our shoulder at the wrong end of the table.

The Qos and Ayr away games were against as poor an opposition you will get in the First division. They were four points dropped, in my opinion.

An injury ravaged Morton side on Saturday, we won't get a better chance to beat them at home and you'd have to expect, at the very least a point from that.

Edited by broomhill jag