Just In

Camallain

Simply can't score !! On the balance of play we should probably have won this but a combination of good keeping from Rab Douglas and poor finishing from our lot resulted in yet another blank. On the positive side we didn't concede a late goal this week.

Cairney was again superb, good display also from Rowser and Paton. Ref was abysmal

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much better performance today in 2nd half anyway the wind kind of spoiled the 1st half but both teams should have had a goal, Dundee tried to walk the ball into the net and Stewart choose to shoot 1st time when he would have been better taking a touch. 2nd half much better Fox had a couple of good stops and Douglas had a couple of brilliant blocks from close in headers. Doolan so unlucky with header that hit post in last minute or so. Robertson did well at the back and i was ever so glad to see him booked when he took out Dundee forward after another shocking pass from Paton, who had one of his poorest games in a Jags jersey imo. Thought Sinclair looked more like his old self and Cairney had a great game too. Typical Thistle we looked to have improved our performance and effort and now we dont have a game for 3 weeks

First half was a bit of a farce from both sides, with the wind really not helping at all (but then don't bloody hit the ball in the air...) and Dundee comically managing to squander about 5 different opportunities to shoot into a goal without a keeper in the space of 8 seconds.

Second half was actually rather entertaining and but for some really good work from Rab Douglas we could have had three points.

The lad Cole at centre-back looked reasonably solid and an able replacement for Balatoni but I didn't like much the look of Naismith. Nothing special and no better than what we already have based on today's performance. Prepared to give him time though.

O'Donnell had an iffy first half but really came into his own in the second. We're at our strongest when we're prepared to have a go down the wing and when Cairney was moved a bit more out left he was much more effective. Sinclair had a reasonably good game.

Tommy Stewart, I'm sorry to say, just isn't good enough. Too slow and no confidence in himself at all. I'd be playing Doolan from the start for a few games as he and Erskine really shook things up from the word go when they came on.

A solid point, but we need to start scoring soon.

First half was pish and Stewart is rubbish.

Second half was as good a spectacle in terms of entertainment that I've seen at Firhill for a long time. You can't win em all but some fast direct play, some tasty challenges and our players taking the opposition on was great to watch. Unlucky not to have sneakd a 1-0 win. Paul Cairney is outstanding and it really is crucial he goes nowhere in the summer.

First half was pish and Stewart is rubbish.

Second half was as good a spectacle in terms of entertainment that I've seen at Firhill for a long time. You can't win em all but some fast direct play, some tasty challenges and our players taking the opposition on was great to watch. Unlucky not to have sneakd a 1-0 win. Paul Cairney is outstanding and it really is crucial he goes nowhere in the summer.

Satisfied then?

I thought Robertson had a good game.t

Best I've seen the big guy play for us. Thought he looked leaner and sharper.

Stewart is devoid of confidence, everything he tried failed to come off. Needs a goal fast but I think most of the support have already made their minds up about him. Elliot wasn't great either.

Cole looked ok but I reckon he'd be better at full back. Kinniburgh back in the middle with Cole at RB and push O'Donnell back up to right mid where he is a lot more comfortable.

Naismith didn't impress me at all, I fear he might have a touch of the Stevie Lennon's about him.

Not starting Doolan was a mistake.

Decent enough 2nd half but again when it counts, we don't have the composure in front of goal.

Lastly, thought both keepers were excellent.

Dundee started well and should have gone ahead. We were too narrow in the midfield and after some switching around we looked better.

Whatever Jackie said in the dressing room at half time worked because the team came up and raised their tempo and put Dundee under pressure.

I thought Paton was man of the match for a simply super performance in the second half. Cole looks a class act at the back and Cairney after a quiet first half gave Dundee a lot of problems. Once he got moved in to the centre of midfield we looked a lot better.

A few decisions I did not understand, why was Doolan on the bench? Why was Stewart taken off in front of Elliott, apart from his miss Stewart played well for me. Putting Naismith up front was so wrong.

In the end in was a good performance that proves if we can get back on the goal trail there is little wrong with this side.

Edited by Alan Murray

Quite an entertaining 0-0. It's what I was thinking earlier in the season as well until they cheated and stole the three points.

Hutton as a loan signing was good and deserved to play as much as he did. However, just because we sign somebody on loan from Rangers shouldn't mean they get on from the start and play 90mins - they should have to earn the right. Naismith should have been subbed when Doolan came on - he just didn't look up for it. Maybe he was tiring, but on todays evidence, I really would rather have any one from Stewart, Elliot, Burns or Fraser instead of him. I just don't see what he adds.

Lockwood was having a mare for Dundee and was subbed (though I rate Weston about as highly as a lesson on pronunciation from Hawking). Why can other teams sub their least performing players, but we persist with ours, leaving the options to warm the bench?

As a good as a 0-0 as I've seen in a while. Dundee looked more than capable of winning the league in the first half or so - their movement and passing was pretty impressive. Thereafter, as Paton, Rowza and Cairney got going, we came onto a right good game. Great to see both teams really going for the win right to the end too.

Finally, Douglas's save from Dools after 70 mins - best save you'll see this season? Big fkr...

I thought the second half was a good game of football. Glad the players eventually saw the folly of playing high balls and tried to keep it down. Paton disappointed me today with too many astray passes. Defence did well today as did Fox in very difficult decisions. Still a concern at not scoring but team looked a lot sharper when Doolan and Erskine came on. Elliott and Stewart were disappointing today as well.

2 loanees looked OK and more to come from them methinks.

Naismith should have been subbed when Doolan came on - he just didn't look up for it. I really would rather have any one from Stewart, Elliot, Burns or Fraser instead of him.

I know it's only his first game, but he must be stinkingly bad if you'd rather Stewart, Burns or Fraser in front of him. Surely to feck he wouldn't be at Rangers if they diddies were better than him?

Tommy Stewart's inability to, never mind score but hit the target from that sitter in the first half was criminal. That was a proper clear cut chance for our strikers and the first one in a few months at Firhill and he completely ****** it up. His attitude after it up summed him up. Drop him and I don't want to see Tommy Stewart start for us for a considerable time. You wouldn't of seen him committing and flinging himself for that great O'Donnell cross at the end, in which Doolan hit the post.

Looks like the manager opted to pick the strikers who scored against against Cowdenbeath reserves and drop the best striker we have - Doolan. Massive mistake.

Wasn't impressed with Naismith, was it a heavy touch which messed up the chance of a one on one near the end? Stewart's sitter, O'Donnell's header, which he had so much time to place and our second half pressure should of meant we won this game. Missed opportunity.

Rab Douglas :angry2: (Some save though)

Edited by northernsoul

I thought the fight in the team especially as the game progressed was impressive. Something that justifiably could be questioned lately in recent games.

The match itself was obviously seriously spoilt by the weather but for once we seemed to play the conditions reasonably well. As a spectacle it was helped by a Dundee side who were actually looking for a win and won't be happy with a point. Most recent games with Accies, Q o S (twice) and Raith have been against teams that would have settled for a draw.

Rowson was a worthwhile choice as MoM but I thought both Robertson and O'Donnell were very good today. Robertson was steady and seems to read the game fine when the ball is in front of him. I think he may be one of the worst central midfielders I've seen us play since the Brady/Jimmy Gibson days but in the back row he's steady if unspectacular. O'Donnell has his faults but for such a young lad he keeps his head up well and was unfortunate not to supply the match winning ball.

As for the result probably correct. We didn't create that much but I won't be too critical given the conditions.

NS, I keep thinking back to Naismith's heavy touch. It was bad, which was fair enough as it took a big bobble on the pitch. However, he completely gave up on it when he still looked favourite to get to it before 40 year old Douglas.

If he'd bothered his arse, he would have at least got a penalty with Douglas rushing out to him.

He had a few moments like that today, but that was the worst of them. Stevie Lennon springs to mind.

Darren Cole was excellent, I believe he's only 17! Crackin prospect for club and, why not, country. Look at Danny Wilson.

I'll reserve judgement on Naismith until I see him a couple of times, when it will be fair to assess how well he has adapted to First Division football.

However, I've made my mind up about Stewart after 9 months and despite some cracking strikes, since he has arrived for me he just isn't good enough. I'm fed up watching him starting games and offering nothing, especially when he is picked ahead of Doolan.

People have written off Burns, fair enough that's your opinion and judgement but Stewart has been given more of a chance under McNamara. Until Burns (if given the opportunity) proves that he is completely out of his depth at this level then I'd rather see him play than Stewart.

Edited by northernsoul

My thoughts on the game all captured above. Just to say, though, a top class Jags performance today; even a decent, if not spectacular, first half where we contained a lively Hundee without losing composure.

Big plusses to Rowson - a well deserved MoTM for me - Cairney, Sinclair, Fox and the boy Cole. That second half heart-in-mouth bombscare moment apart, I thought Paton was quite effective today.

I'm afraid to say that Elliott, despite his willingness to get stuck in, just doesn't have what we need in this division. I'd let him go to find his true level and wish him well.

Ref? Can never remember his name, but he's an erse of the top order; we never get anything off him.

Anyway, I was encouraged by that show today and when that goal does come, somebody's gonnae get hammered the way Morton did a while back.

Monni Thistle.

Re: Naismith's chance - it was a poor pass from (I think) Rowson which deflected off the defender's heel and rebounded against Naismith. That apart I agree with most folks opinion of him, looks to have a bit of talent but lazy.

Also agree that if Willie K is fit for next game then Cole to RB and o'donnell to RM is a good idea, he's clearly more at home further up the park.