Favourite Run Of The Mill Games

Tom Stronach

Thistle doing R*ngers (4-3?) in a dreich midweek affair in 1976(?). Alan Hansen, from midfield, totally bossed the show, scoring a couple and making another. One of the most one-sided games I've ever witnessed with the Queen's XI very fortunate not get absolutely caned. The Hu n support of approx 2000 were barely able to break into a rendition of the sash that night, so shite were they on the park.

Heh heh.

if memory serves me well Jags legend Kenny Watson scored a peach of a free kick for scumgers that night. Another 4-3 win against the scumgers was in april / may 1981 i think

Thistle doing R*ngers (4-3?) in a dreich midweek affair in 1976(?). Alan Hansen, from midfield, totally bossed the show, scoring a couple and making another. One of the most one-sided games I've ever witnessed with the Queen's XI very fortunate not get absolutely caned. The Hu n support of approx 2000 were barely able to break into a rendition of the sash that night, so shite were they on the park.

Heh heh.

Don't know if that can be classed as a run of the mill game, that's one of my all time fav games ever.I was right behind the the goal when Hansen rolled in the late penalty winner and got booted in the arse by some drunken **** of a H*n for celebrating.Worth it though , met all ma H*n schoolmates on the bus back home to the southside and GIRUT.I remember the underated Harry Johnston was fantastic in that game.

if memory serves me well Jags legend Kenny Watson scored a peach of a free kick for scumgers that night. Another 4-3 win against the scumgers was in april / may 1981 i think

Midweek 6-1 humping of Hibs at Firhill under wee Bertie. Think O;Hara scored a hat trick. Thistle scoring 6 under Auld was unheard of!!. Typical Thistle then went to Easter Road at the following weekend and lost 1-3. Although a cup game, another great night was the replay win at Love Street 3-2, when Lambie hadnt lonmg taken over in his first spell. Majic night. Buddie pals were sick!

Midweek 6-1 humping of Hibs at Firhill under wee Bertie. Think O;Hara scored a hat trick. Thistle scoring 6 under Auld was unheard of!!. Typical Thistle then went to Easter Road at the following weekend and lost 1-3. Although a cup game, another great night was the replay win at Love Street 3-2, when Lambie hadnt lonmg taken over in his first spell. Majic night. Buddie pals were sick!

Meant say 3-1 at Love Street!!!

Maybe not a "favourite" game and maybe not "run of the mill" either, but I think this game should be mentioned for its weirdness -

Stenhousemuir 4 Partick Thistle 0 - some time in the late 1990s or early 2000s.

The Jags absolutely pummelled them for 90 minutes, Gary Gow in the Stennie goal played out of his skin, and we came away with a complette gubbng.

Strangely, we thought we'd seen quite a good game and a decent Jags performance (bar the finishing - sound familiar?)

and it was just one of those bizarre games that crop up from time to time.

Maybe not a "favourite" game and maybe not "run of the mill" either, but I think this game should be mentioned for its weirdness -

The Jags absolutely pummelled them for 90 minutes, Gary Gow in the Stennie goal played out of his skin, and we came away with a complette gubbng.

Strangely, we thought we'd seen quite a good game and a decent Jags performance (bar the finishing - sound familiar?)

August 2000 I think that game was. Kenny Arthur was absolutely dreadful that day and I think Isaac English scored 2 against us.

Remember it all too well. Cycled up from embra on an absolutely baltic day, but reasonably sure we'd do them. How wrong I was. Slightly baffled by the result too, as we (Trigger?) hit the woodwork about 5 times and I thought it was a case of when we got back at them. Lambie signed Garry Gow on the basis of that performance....

I believe I was on holiday in Weymouth or Lowestoft that week and got updates later on. Was Kenny not MotM?

No. He had a complete nightmare. I vividly remember some Thistle fans positioning themselves next to the tunnel (or what passes for a tunnel at Stenny) at the end of the game and screaming abuse in Kenny's face. I think he was dropped for the next game and replaced by Michael Brown, and then brought back in a few games later when we played Queens Park at Hampden (think we won 1-0). He was No 1 for the rest of the season from then on in.

I remember that 4-0 Stenny game vividly. Absolutely pummelled them, if the final score had been 10-4 to us it would still have flattered them.

Kenny wasn't at his best but he wasn't helped by his defence playing a high line and allowing Issac English to get in behind them on a couple of occasions. Only difference between him playing for them and playing for us is that on this occasion, his finishing was decent.

We lost 2-0 later in the season but in the 2 home games we beat them 4-0 and 3-0 so we won on aggregate :lol:

I remember that 4-0 Stenny game vividly. Absolutely pummelled them, if the final score had been 10-4 to us it would still have flattered them.

Kenny wasn't at his best but he wasn't helped by his defence playing a high line and allowing Issac English to get in behind them on a couple of occasions. Only difference between him playing for them and playing for us is that on this occasion, his finishing was decent.

We lost 2-0 later in the season but in the 2 home games we beat them 4-0 and 3-0 so we won on aggregate :lol:

The home games being a freezing game in December (was it not around xmas). Archie scored a screamer. Direct from corner Hamilton hit a superb volley that got cleared off the line. Archie from almost the same spot as Hamilton sent it back twice as hard and into top corner. Hardie scored a great third.

The 4-0 was our last game of season and was a great way to celebrate the title. All scored in 2nd half. Craigan's goal and his celebration was great and McGrillen (RIP) scored couple of crackers.

A few facts about that day - both of the ugly sisters got gubbed, as did Gypsy FC. QP were actually top of the league before the game (4 wins out of 4). At the end of the season they were relegated!!!

Amazing day - Hampden, loads of singing. If QP had beaten us that day they'd have been nine points clear at the top of the 2nd Division. McNally and Lennon f*cking RULED that day!

Amazing day - Hampden, loads of singing. If QP had beaten us that day they'd have been nine points clear at the top of the 2nd Division. McNally and Lennon f*cking RULED that day!

Yip, tremendous occasion. I remember there was a reserve game at Lesser Hampden before the big match as well, which drew a really big crowd.

I always preferred the second visit to hampden to play queens Park. Freezing cold day but easy 2-0 victory (Shaw and Hardie) and left that day thinking the league was ours. Remember the monday after the game Bill Leckie wrote a big article on us stating it was not if we won the league but when. He then when on to question if the team was good enough to stay in the first division the following season. Of course we all know we never stayed in it, just left out a different door than the pundits thought we would!

Great times.

Strangely the best run-of-the-mill game I have ever seen doesn't involve Thistle (surely we don't participate in such games?). Mine is St Mirren v. Clydebank in a meaningless League Cup match in 1983 or 1984 - Octoberish.

Both had been knocked out so perhaps they played a bit more expressively than might otherwise have been the case. Clydebank were 2 up - St Mirren fought back to equalise, then with 8 mins left McAvennie gave them the lead - to my astonishment he ran to the Clydebank fans - about 150 of them (I was stood nearby) and gesticulated to them in a "Leigh Griffith" like manner - a strange action given the meaningless nature of the game and the total lack of antagonism previously. Perhaps the fact that Clydebank equalised 6 seconds after taking the re-start was justice but whatever it was it was very very amusing. The joy of that equaliser given what had immediately preceded it wasn't lost on they Clydebank supporters who mercilessly taunted McAvennie thereafter - I suspect a rare occurance of a player being taunted for his stupidity rather than................oh wait it was Frankie Boy so stupidity is probably about right.