Just In...

jagscast

I was debating whether to go to this game, but I'm glad I went in the end ( apart from the bloody cold!)I thought we were comfartable, though to be fair Morton were sh*t, especially in the first half. To be honest after due reflection and a couple of shandies, I thought it was an OK performance. Particularly, in light of last weeks result.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First half I thought we played some really nice stuff and we should have been out of sight by half time. Stewart made two good saves (never did that for us!) and some poor finishing. Second half overall I thought Morton were the better team and obviously got a kick up the ar5e at half time. But some poor decision making in second half - shooting when a pass was more appropriate and vice versa.

However, a point is better than none. Thought Cole had a really good game today on a shocking pitch, as did rest of defence.

Thought it was really funny when MacNamara and Donnelly both jumped off bench at exactly the same time - reminded me of the Chewin the Fat sketch of the two coaches when one if copying the other one.

Interesting Ian. I thought the one in the first half was a dive, but Chris thought the boy was clipped.

Booked for making a meal of it, apparently!

There was a decent shout for us in the second half. Big shove in the back, might have been outside the box though.

Great thing about football, everyone sees thing differently.

was also in line and everyone around me agreed the ball was won clean and the booking was justified. big shove was outside the box, in the D, ref had an excellent view but morton defender had already been booked. shat-it.

seemed a crude tackle from a distance for their pelanty but thought game should've been stopped prior to that with thistle defender being pulled to the ground.

poor officiating, for both sides tho' morton lads 3 or 4 to one on the ref every time they felt particularly aggrieved.

can't really understand the accusations of shot-shy, stewart had two fine match saving blocks in the first half. plenty of weak shots on target, plenty more with pace way off.

I went up Arthur's Seat instead as I thought it would be 0-0. Clear out towards North Berwick Law but the Lomond Hills to the north covered in cloud.

Could you pick out Easter Road? How about the Eildon hills?

Much as I love the view from Arthur's seat, my seat in the JH was just about worth occupying today. Frustrating stuff though as we were all over them in the first half and really should of gone in a couple up. I thought we had the better of the second half as well although they did at least manage a shot on target as well as their amusing penalty miss.

Pitch was bad but it was still a reasonably entertaining game. Thought we looked reasonably solid at the back today.

I think the lack of goals is a lot to do with lack of confidence. We are creating goalscoring situations but maddeningly people keep looking to lay the ball off (usually backwards) or make an extra turn. If we could get in front in a game this might change and a few goals might come. Three points on Tuesday might put a lot of worries to bed.

:detective: Scottish Football is about to change big time because of the Rangers stuff (however it pans out). We should be patient and hold on in there. Lets just wait that little bit longer and see what comes. Surely, after so many years, fate will eventually have something good in store for us again...........

:detective: Scottish Football is about to change big time because of the Rangers stuff (however it pans out). We should be patient and hold on in there. Lets just wait that little bit longer and see what comes. Surely, after so many years, fate will eventually have something good in store for us again...........

couldn't help thinking today how the game would've been played if it was on an artificial surface. the (second half) kick and rush and two footed flying/sliding tackles is undoubtedly related to weather and conditions.

You get more satisfaction if you go to the game presuming we're not going to score. Then the best result we can get is a goalless draw.so you can go home not so despondent :)

I agree Morton do look a poor side and we really should've been out of sight by half time. maybe tho' they're not as bad as they look. Previous two games were a draw with Falkirk and a win at Hamilton losing only one goal in those games kinda backs that up.

Sitting in the Star. Just gave my season ticket to a mate. I can't go to firhill and stand and watch that anymore.

No idea how long you've been at this, Potty, but presumably you've sat through:

• multiple relegations,
  • Dick Campbell,
  • humiliations by everyone from Gretna to Aberdeen,
  • Murdo MacLeod,
  • Derek Johnstone, and
  • Sandy pish-flaps Clark

yet it is NOW that you've taken the huff and are chucking it? What's all that about?

Their penalty shout in the first half was an absolute stone waller, then that muppet ballooned it over the bar for their second one. We had that great chance when The Bridge slotted it through to Elliot who was offside allbeit by a bawhair. But basically we were pish.

Is/was Cairney injured because if not why the fuuck was he subbed? Jackie Out!

No idea how long you've been at this, Potty, but presumably you've sat through:

• multiple relegations,
  • Dick Campbell,
  • humiliations by everyone from Gretna to Aberdeen,
  • Murdo MacLeod,
  • Derek Johnstone, and
  • Sandy pish-flaps Clark

yet it is NOW that you've taken the huff and are chucking it? What's all that about?

I can't talk for Potty, but I think I must feel exactly the same way he does. Yes, all of the above were dire times, but with maybe one or two exceptions we had players on the park and a manager in the dugout who sometimes looked like the gave a flying f***.

If the playing staff and management team don't appear to care, why should the fans? This is not about being "off message" or "negative". It's about feelings. And surely no-one can deny a Jags fans feelings of utter hopelessness and weekly reinforced despair. Cos turning-up week-in and week-out to watch that half-@rsed p*sh is beyond a joke.

We had more than enough to give them a battering yesterday - they looked a poor, poor side.

The team shape looked good and worked well. Didn't realise how much we miss Archie and thought he was solid, as was the lad Cole.

How many chances is that plumb Erskine going to get though? Gets into good positions time and time again yet either beats himself, picks the wrong pass and just generally ****s it up. The offside "goal" was schoolboy at best - just hit the bloody thing!

Also Jackie - why was Cairney hooked? Maybe he was injured then fair enough but that's 2 weeks on the trot the best player has been subbed. Your decision making is baffling at times and I'm afraid is leading me to think that you just ain't got enough to cut it.....

Plenty plusses yesterday but plenty of the same negatives that have dogged our season, which again questions the management and their ability to do their jobs.

Anyone sick of shouting "shoot" week after week? Controlled the game, glad to see some grit, just need rid of these non scoring strikers.

I thought the team battled hard, although in fairness that is the least we should expect. By rights, we should have gone in at half-time at least one goal up but Stewart pulled off a couple of good save (wow, those are words I never thought I would type!).

Morton came in to a bit more in the second half but we were still the dominant side. But for some appalling refereeing decisions (I thought we had a reasonable shout for a penalty, as well as a free kick on the edge of the box, both of which were ignored), as well as some equally poor decision making from our attackers, q.v. Erskine passing it to an offside player when if he had shot himself he would probably have scored, then we should have won the game.

Just one other thing - how hard can it be for a professional footballer to take a free kick? Some of the free kicks we got today in good positions were absolutely shocking! Ach well, at least we managed to put in a few decent crosses for a change.

Jackie described each players' performance as "excellent" in one newspaper today. These are the sort of quotes that saw the tide turn very quickly on Dick Campbell and, if he's not careful, he's going to find himself in a similar predicament. What also saw Campbell vilified was his bizarre substitutions and insistence on playing certain players who were evidently not good enough. Paul Cairney, along with Doolan, were the only players showing any sort of urgency or creativity yesterday yet the manager saw it appropriate to replace the former with Tommy Stewart.

Let's get one thing straight here; that Morton team yesterday was one of the worst sides I've seen at Firhill in a long time. The right-back couldn't run nor kick the ball very well at all and the lanky centre-half put in, comfortably, one of the worst performances of the season so far. I thought Tidser was Marc Smyth for quite a long percentage of the game which tells you all you need to know about his performance.

Yet, all of this considered, we could hardly muster a shot at goal. Indeed, the best chance of the game was for Morton from the penalty spot.

I'm not even going to comment on the Erskine debacle, other than to say it was one of the most idiotic decisions I've seen from a professional footballer.

If we are going to persist with a strike-force of Doolan, Stewart, Elliot, Burns and Fraser, I'll see you all at the play-off's.

Yet, all of this considered, we could hardly muster a shot at goal. Indeed, the best chance of the game was for Morton from the penalty spot.

excepting the many shots on goal we had in the first half, in particular two match-saving saves by Stewart. and not forgetting the actual best chance of the game, fans favourite Erskine's offside idiotic square pass. which was, incidentally, crafted by the maligned stewart.

That is a bizarre comment, we had a lot of shots on goal yesterday, in fact at times I thought we were too eager to shot and Morton were blocking a lot of them.

I thought the team did play well yesterday apart from the obvious lack of goals. If we were more clinical in and round the box it could have easily been another 5 – o score line. If we continue to play as we did I am sure it will start to happen for us in front of goal.

I thought Cairney was way below his normal self, though I was a little surprised about him being taken off. I thought Elliott should come off because he was clearly tiring, but Jackie put him out to right midfield which is a position he struggles in.

excepting the many shots on goal we had in the first half, in particular two match-saving saves by Stewart. and not forgetting the actual best chance of the game, fans favourite Erskine's offside idiotic square pass. which was, incidentally, crafted by the maligned stewart.

Are you sure I didnt think Tommy was on at that stage? Stewart might be maligned but I would say Damon Gray got worse and he was far younger. Interestingly Gray appeared about 28 times for Thistle so has Stewart but Stewart has only scored half what Gray did. I wouldnt say Stewart, Elliot, Burns or Dargo have taken any more abuse on the forums than Buchanan did at the club and he was far more prolific than them Edited by Third Lanark

He should have hit it mate, passing it was the wimps way out.

Correct. Also text book stuff not to pass unless sure the other is onside.

That one incident probably summed up our game yesterday. Good chances spoilt by either dithering or poor decision making. Coming to think of it that kinda sums up much of our season.

Anyone else think Erskine did the right thing by squaring the ball for the offside goal that never was? Had whoever it was who was offside not hit it we had anotehr player behind him onafflesside who would have slotted it away, can't remember which one was which.

A forward should be coached to shoot at goal at every single opportunity they get. Most goals scored from inside the box are first time shots.The fact that the ball didn't end up in the net shows Erskine didn't do the right thing .Tommy Stewart ,right at the death , also squared the ball.It was a tighter angle but he should have shot.The whole objective of football is to put the ball in the opposition net so why forwards dont shoot when they have a chance totally baffles me.It's became quite bizarre at Firhill now ,on a couple of occasions yesterday the whole of the stand was shouting shoot only to see a useless pass instead.Whoever is coaching the forwards needs their arse kicked.

A forward should be coached to shoot at goal at every single opportunity they get. Most goals scored from inside the box are first time shots.The fact that the ball didn't end up in the net shows Erskine didn't do the right thing .Tommy Stewart ,right at the death , also squared the ball.It was a tighter angle but he should have shot.The whole objective of football is to put the ball in the opposition net so why forwards dont shoot when they have a chance totally baffles me.It's became quite bizarre at Firhill now ,on a couple of occasions yesterday the whole of the stand was shouting shoot only to see a useless pass instead.Whoever is coaching the forwards needs their arse kicked.

Saturday was very worrying we do not even look like scoring and the inevitable relegation battle looms lets hope for three points against Ayr