Proposed Move Of Singing Section

ian_mac

The chances are slim but Beattie was banging on about bringing it back recently was he not? This now gives us the perfect place to try it, in a new stand with no kids, so if he was serious about wanting it let's get lobbying the relevent people and tell them we will trial it at Firhill for a year in this one stand.

Tell you what big man, you are on to something here!

If the shed was the only stand in Scotland selling booze I'm sure we would have no trouble filling it!

Brilliant idea, how could we as fans work with the club to actually get the message across to the relevant people? You always see petitions for things like this but rarely any evidence that the messages reach those they're aimed at. For that reason it is important the club are involved, as they have media contacts and would be better placed to spread the message to other SFL clubs and then their fans.

There is absolutely no reason why alcohol should not be available in the SFL divisions. The SFL might as well be considered non-league football with the current quality and something must be done to entice fans back and provide new revenue streams. The North Stand would be a good place to trial this too, as the numbers there won't be great it will be easier for stewards/police to spot any drunkenness.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely no reason why alcohol should not be available in the SFL divisions. The SFL might as well be considered non-league football with the current quality and something must be done to entice fans back and provide new revenue streams. The North Stand would be a good place to trial this too, as the numbers there won't be great it will be easier for stewards/police to spot any drunkenness.

Unfortunately, I think that a lot of the largely booze-related fighting and abusive behaviour that used to go on in and around football matches suggests otherwise. All it would take is for one numpty (and let's face it, like other clubs we have more than a few) to be half-tanked and causing trouble, and the entire thing would backfire big style. As somebody who takes a drink, I'd counter with this: there is absolutely no reason why somebody shouldn't be able to attend a football match without drinking alcohol for less than 2 hours. People can drink as much before and after as they want. Is it really that important? Same goes for cigarettes.

there is absolutely no reason why somebody shouldn't be able to attend a football match without drinking alcohol for less than 2 hours. People can drink as much before and after as they want. Is it really that important? Same goes for cigarettes.

:shok:

I'm sure many would counter that with the argument: it is possible to support the Jags without smokes and bevvy but my god they'd bloody help!

Thing is alcohol is a revenue stream which could add to the matchday experience for lapsed or neutral fans. Works fine down south and I've not heard any negative feedback from the rugby crowd, and those boys can drink ;)

I assume the north bank Lambie doo cot stand will need pumps installed?

Could lead to sponsorship from a brewer as well....

Unfortunately, I think that a lot of the largely booze-related fighting and abusive behaviour that used to go on in and around football matches suggests otherwise. All it would take is for one numpty (and let's face it, like other clubs we have more than a few) to be half-tanked and causing trouble, and the entire thing would backfire big style. As somebody who takes a drink, I'd counter with this: there is absolutely no reason why somebody shouldn't be able to attend a football match without drinking alcohol for less than 2 hours. People can drink as much before and after as they want. Is it really that important? Same goes for cigarettes.

When was the last time a Thistle fan actually caused real trouble at a game home or away?

No people don’t need a pint, no people don’t need a smoke but at the same time people don’t need a pie and bovril. If people want these things and it can make the club money then everyone is a winner.

The arguments about people being drunk at football have been discussed over and over on here in the past when this subject has been brought up. What I always say to that is if someone wants to turn up wrecked they will, the ability to have an additional pint at half time is going to make absolutely no difference to their behaviour.

If Thistle sold beer I would leave the pub at 2.20 rather than 2.50, I’d get a pint before the game then get another at half time. So that’s £7 into the coffers. How many others would do likewise, it’s a revenue stream that is there but not being tapped into.

If Beattie was serious about getting this back on the agenda with the relevant authorities this new stand initiative gives us the perfect platform to push for us to trial it for a season.

All that would be required to stop that would be a fully trained security officer (one with proper badges) to stand next to the bar (only one bar would be needed) checking people's ID if they appear to be underage and assessing their state of inebriation. This is quite common in public bars at concerts in large stadiums.

You ask why people can't go two hours without a drink, I'd ask why shouldn't they if they want to. When was this fighting and abusive behaviour you are talking about. To compare it, it must have been pre-1980. Back then you could bring your own carry out along and run about in a packed terrace. Now with the layout of grounds it is much easier for stewards to spot nonsense, particularly when the North Stand will have one or two hundred at the most with a 2,000 capacity. Alcohol would only be available in the concourse, as in England (wait, does the north stand have a concourse?), so it would be easier to monitor how much people are having once in the ground.

Even if Thistle and other teams were given to go ahead to sell alcohol in their grounds, I would expect it to be trialled in the Jackie Husband Stand first. Beer pumps are already installed there, due to the Glasgow Warriors.

Of course the North Stand could sell cans or bottles and pour them into plastic cups but I can't see this happening in the foreseeable future.

All that would be required to stop that would be a fully trained security officer (one with proper badges) to stand next to the bar (only one bar would be needed) checking people's ID if they appear to be underage and assessing their state of inebriation. This is quite common in public bars at concerts in large stadiums.

You ask why people can't go two hours without a drink, I'd ask why shouldn't they if they want to. When was this fighting and abusive behaviour you are talking about. To compare it, it must have been pre-1980. Back then you could bring your own carry out along and run about in a packed terrace. Now with the layout of grounds it is much easier for stewards to spot nonsense, particularly when the North Stand will have one or two hundred at the most with a 2,000 capacity. Alcohol would only be available in the concourse, as in England (wait, does the north stand have a concourse?), so it would be easier to monitor how much people are having once in the ground.

Yes, I'm going back to the 70s. (Some might say that I've never really left them.) My point is, if somebody who's already tanked up then gets refused another pint by a jobsworth, watch what happens. I'm all for a trial, but it would probably need to be the same as with current drinks, i.e. bought only at the match, in soft containers (no cans or bottles allowed). And even then, although we all like to think that we are sophisticated and able to behave properly, just wait until there is some trouble at a match where alcohol was being served.

Good move, I personally won't be in it, prefer the side of a pitch, but I'm sure i'll join in the songs from the side. I think the north stand should be called The Lambie Shed. Leave the Main Stand as the Main Stand. As for the away fans and segregation after the game, home fans go right, away left ans everyone congregates on Firhill RD as normal, no big deal. Good idea.

Really good idea to move to the smaller stand - it will be easier to create a good atmosphere.

I only hope we don't have to go to the back of the JH to pay to get in and then go back down to Firhill Road to get in the gate - they should do away with the Portakabins altogether

Now with the layout of grounds it is much easier for stewards to spot nonsense, particularly when the North Stand will have one or two hundred at the most with a 2,000 capacity.

I think it will start off at about 300 to 400, and depending on the success on the park and it being proved an improved match day experience for those in it, numbers could rise further.

If a combination of poor on the park performances and it not succeeding to improve the match day experience, numbers may drop to nearer your 100 to 200 figure.

Baby steps. Should first look into seeing stadium bars could serve drink up till near kick off and allow direct access from bar to ground. While the present law (interpretation of law) with regards to that is still in place it makes serving drinks inside the ground a pipe dream.

On the subject of should be be able to buy booze in the ground, 'Baby Steps' was the words that kept playing in my mind as i read each individuals thoughts on the debate of drink or no drink.

First off, the OneThistle team and our two resident rock stars, should aim to show that as a 'Singing section' which is essentially self-policed and allows standing, lots of colour and vocal backing, merriment and helps bring back fun to football and those attending games, is a success and is backed by the relevant authorities, and does not add to policing or stewarding costs.

If this can be achieved, then the next logical step would be to push for a trial of allowing selling booze to, ideally, those in the North Stand initially (after all, the whole point of the relocating the Shed/singers, is to try improve the atmosphere and match day experience for everyone, but in particular, create a area in the ground where rules are relaxed - but do not cause any additional policing, stewarding or crowd trouble issues)

I'd suggest spending the next few months, lobbying the local MSP, and trying to get them to take it to Holyrood, and table a motion to get government backing to pass a motion to allow a trial of selling booze within the John Lambie Pigeon Shed (also use the example of the rugby at Firhill selling booze in the past, with no problems etc), commencing January 2013 for the remainder of the season, that's based on OneThistle et al, in the first half of next season showing that the new relaxed rules in the JLPS, adds to the match day experience, and causes no additional problems or issues to the policing and stewarding of games at Firhill.

So, first half of next season, get the JLPS up and running, smoking area and all, decked out in Thistle banners, flags, a vibrant and enthusastic few hundred supporters, have it monitored by police and government, try get as much good press and feedback on it, and if it is shown to be troublefree and a success by December 2012, an approximate 4 month trial to end of season should be allowed (with view to it being extended to JHS in time).

If this booze trial is also proven to be a success, then we could aim to have Firhill Arena Stadium, the first stadium in Scotland to sell alcohol during games in all 4 3 :confused1: 2 stands, in season commencing 2013/2014, as we welcome SPL football back to Firhill, after our championship winning success of 18 games unbeaten at home, where the team were all-conquering, thanks in no small part to the incredible off the park backing of those in the JLPS (and those roused in the JHS :evil:)

So, Baby Steps, yes, but not too small ones.

. May the Jagsforce be with you. Edited by yoda-jag

Great work Ian and Dave! :thumbsup2:

I quite enjoy sitting where I do but anything to improve the atmosphere at the stadium has my backing. Only ever been in the North Stand once and that was during the early hours of the morning after a Player of the Year event. Will need to give it a try.

Dont know about it previously being a home end, but it was where my grandad and dad stood, and where i stood for my "first" game.

Im not sure about the name: The Shed. Still seems a bit corny.

I like The Northbank... But id settle for... We're the Northbank, shed boys!

I quite like naming it officially after John Lambie. It would be great to have him out on the pitch to "open" the stand, next season hearing Johnny Lambie's Red & Yellow Army sung from it!

Corny? Those bottom two paragraphs are corny. Wasnt a stand at love street called the northbank? simple north stand seems fine, lambie opening a 10 year old stand lol why?

Corny? Those bottom two paragraphs are corny. Wasnt a stand at love street called the northbank? simple north stand seems fine, lambie opening a 10 year old stand lol why?

Avie,

The North bank was at Highbury.... which infact singing would make an absolute shambles of the Bertie Meah song.

Open, was in inverted commas, hence not actually opening it, but celebrating his name being put to it and it being opened to jags fans.

Would the whole stand be opened or just the central part to begin with? It would be a better atmosphere if people were quite close together.

Overall I think it's a great idea. Almost as good as my campaign to get the bing transformed into world football's largest floral clock.

:shok:

oh right, clock!

:blush:

Good effort gents.

Nice to see a bit of positivity on the forum at the moment.

I reckon the idea of opening it for the first home league game next year would be the best option as there is usually always a healthy crowd.

Even if it is only a few hundred who take it up initially it will still be an improvement on what we have at the moment.

If the shed all sat centrally with the areas to the sides covered in lots of different flags then I think it would look brilliant.