1-1 Vs. Falkirk

Jaggernaut

There doesn't seem to be any discussion of the actual match yesterday, which probably accurately reflects the feeling of apathy that seemed to be around.

I reckon a draw was about right. We should have scored a couple in the 1st half, and they looked better in the 2nd half.

Cairney was his usual terrier self; love to see the way he barges much bigger guys and manages to disposess them. O'Donnell and McGuigan made some great runs down to the bye-line. Archie was gallus, Bannigan again looked like a much more experienced player than he is. Erskine almost looked unplayable again.... In all, not a bad performance, but still a bit prone to one or two passes too many when a more direct route to goal seems on (the team, that is, not Erskine).

Not much to go on to form an opinion on the two new boys.

Interesting that yesterday we were without a few 1st-team experienced players: Rowson, Willie-K, Paton, Sinclair. I'm feeling that we do indeed have the nucleus of what could be a pretty good team next season.

If only PC could be persuaded to stay on.......

Oh, Falkirk's goal was a beezer of a shot; out of the blue.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I think the Beeb have been April-fooled there. Or at it themselves!

On the game - same old, same old. We should have been out of sight by HT. Yes, Falkirk were much better in the 2nd, once they'd kicked Erskine off the park. He took 2 sore ones soon after HT which made me wonder about Elvis's instructions. We were not as potent when Erskine was gone. So 1-1 was a fair reflection of play I will grudgingly admit.

I though Welsh has his best game in a Thistle shirt (I wasn't at Dens), and Bannigan continues to delight me. He's made huge progress from the wee lost boy of earlier this season. Hulsman was a bit of a wee lost boy too but you have to start some time. Griffin looked the part during his short stint. We'll miss Cairney, he was great in the 1st although he seemed to fade out. Robertson's also worth a mention, reads the game well. As does Balatoni, but too many bombscares.

I think the Beeb have been April-fooled there. Or at it themselves!

On the game - same old, same old. We should have been out of sight by HT. Yes, Falkirk were much better in the 2nd, once they'd kicked Erskine off the park. He took 2 sore ones soon after HT which made me wonder about Elvis's instructions. We were not as potent when Erskine was gone. So 1-1 was a fair reflection of play I will grudgingly admit.

I though Welsh has his best game in a Thistle shirt (I wasn't at Dens), and Bannigan continues to delight me. He's made huge progress from the wee lost boy of earlier this season. Hulsman was a bit of a wee lost boy too but you have to start some time. Griffin looked the part during his short stint. We'll miss Cairney, he was great in the 1st although he seemed to fade out. Robertson's also worth a mention, reads the game well. As does Balatoni, but too many bombscares.

Agree with pretty much all of that. We need however to be able to handle losing an influential player, whether by accidental or deliberate injury, and still compete in a game. Thought we sat back a bit after half time and let them into the game - more so because when we did get the ball we kept giving it away with poor passing.

Think we need to bring in the kind of player who can be a real captain, I don't think we've had a real leader in the team since Danny Lennon. Re the defence: I like Robertson but he is slow and Balatoni doesn't seem to have developed that much. I'd move one of them (at least) on and try to get in a good centre back.

From rumours going round there may be some interesting news after the last game of the season. I hope so anyway otherwise I will have egg on my face from posting this.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Agree with pretty much all of that. We need however to be able to handle losing an influential player, whether by accidental or deliberate injury, and still compete in a game. Thought we sat back a bit after half time and let them into the game - more so because when we did get the ball we kept giving it away with poor passing.

- YES. There's too much poor and UNNECESSARY passing much of the time.

Think we need to bring in the kind of player who can be a real captain, I don't think we've had a real leader in the team since Danny Lennon. Re the defence: I like Robertson but he is slow and Balatoni doesn't seem to have developed that much. I'd move one of them (at least) on and try to get in a good centre back.

- YES and no. A Danny Lennon type would be great. I see little wrong with Robertson and Balatoni; our defensive record really isn't bad. We've got Willie-K to come back into the central defence too.

From rumours going round there may be some interesting news after the last game of the season. I hope so anyway otherwise I will have egg on my face from posting this.

I WOULDN'T worry; you've left that sufficiently vague that it should be easy to wriggle out of.

Again this was a game we should have gone on to win.

Our goal came from a good piece of play from O’Donnell and McGuigan could not miss. As usual with O’Donnell he a bit hit and miss, just before the goal he had made a mistake going for the wrong man. Roberson let him know he was unhappy with him during the goal celebrations!

Cairney and Erskine were linking up well and again it’s frustrating that we have a player taken because they have been injured by a bad foul.

I thought Welsh was man of the match, he really got himself about the park. It would be fantastic if we could get him signed up for next year.

Surprised there has not been more comment on the referee, two decisions stand out. First the head height kick by Bennett in the box that appeared to strike Doolan and the rash tackle on Bannigan that he hurdled and lost the ball because of this challenge. If the Falkirk player had made contact with Bannagin - It would have been a red imo.

Hopefully both will be included in the highlights so we can have a second look.

Edited by Alan Murray

Typical BBC, can't get anything correct.. The ball grazed the bar.

So, for the sake of the confused nomad.

Did we even get a penalty?

if so, did Archie (if he took it) keep it within the confines of G20?

Or is this an elaborate hoax by the BBC to deflect attention away from Chick Dung's illiterate meanderings about you-know-who?

So, for the sake of the confused nomad.

Did we even get a penalty?

if so, did Archie (if he took it) keep it within the confines of G20?

Or is this an elaborate hoax by the BBC to deflect attention away from Chick Dung's illiterate meanderings about you-know-who?

there was no penalty at all for any team, BBC have made a complete baws up

Being a nomad this game was the first i had seen since last year,all in all i didnt think we were that bad.Falkirk are a fair side but it was pretty blatant the way The Bridge was targetted after half time.We appear to lack the killer touch,a second goal,which we deserved,would have finished them off as beside the cracker of a shot with which they scored,their much vaunted forward line did not threaten.Thought the refferee ducked the important descissions,how you can get kicked on the head when "jumping for the ball" and it not be a foul/penalty defies explanation.Thought most of the team played well,if Cairney goes he will be a miss,we have a bit of pace around the park and besides lacking a proven goalscorer i think we need a leader to bang the heads together as and when required.I thought the lad Halsum did pretty well considering that was his first game,heres hoping we can keep the nucleus of the squad together,with a couple of additions,we could be pretty useful next season

- YES. There's too much poor and UNNECESSARY passing much of the time.

- YES and no. A Danny Lennon type would be great. I see little wrong with Robertson and Balatoni; our defensive record really isn't bad. We've got Willie-K to come back into the central defence too.

I WOULDN'T worry; you've left that sufficiently vague that it should be easy to wriggle out of.

Ive heard Willie is off to join the polis

Won't be surprised if this is true. I think he has been injured more often than he's actually played for us in his time here. And he'll get better paid in the polis.

And I suppose he could join his new comrades in continuing to make football even less enjoyable to watch than it currently is.

Anybody notice the high ratio of police and stewards monitoring the small group of "freebie" youngsters among the Falkirk support?

Does it make any economical sense to open the North stand for a few hundred away visitors?

Well as that's our last home game your question is effectively redundant as away fans won't be in there again for the foreseeable future. In any case the North Stand has been shut for the majority of home games of late.

Ive heard Willie is off to join the polis

I think Wullie will be a highly successful copper, either on the beat or with the Regional Crime Squad or whatever. His arrest technique will require little or no adaptation from that which he has always used to win headers. At least in the polis you can't give away penalties or get a yellow card for huckling miscreants using the 'octopus' method.

Felt it was a very good first half performance, second half we sat back, a bit like the 2-0 win over Hamilton. We seemed to go to a more rigid 3-4-3.

In the first we played a lot of our best stuff down the right with O'Donnell playing well along with the front three. Second half it was more down the left and was a little ineffective, imo.

Overall we had the lions-share of possession with.Falkirk only having one shot on goal. Unfortunately it was a peach, up there with Vigurs effort for County.

Our keeping of the ball has helped a decent defensive record. It's frustrating that we manage to limit the oppositions chances this season but lose goals from set pieces; individual errors and the odd screamer. If we can sort out the first two we are looking at a championship winning amount of goals against. Couple that with better balls into the box and things are looking ok for next season, imo.