Hugh Murray Signs

stuthejag

• Members

I must be the only Jags fan not particularly excited by the prospect of a Rowson, Murray, Paton midfield. At best I'd have two out of the three of them, perming them with the best two out of three of Welsh, Erskine, Bannigan.

Then again I expect it will only be 3 of those named with Sinclair and O'Donnell/New Signing once again filling the other two midfield places when we switch about 5-3-2 with 3-5-2. Unless we sign Welsh, I cant see where the creativity is going to come from and it doesn't matter who we have up front, we'll struggle again at times to score goals. Can't see Bannigan getting a start unless it's in place of Sinclair.

I think we have the potential up front already for a good goal return with Doolan. McGuigan, Erskine (if not played in midfield) and i think Elliott will benefit from his first full pre-season and can hopefully take the next step. Unless we are going to pair Kris with a proven goalscorer, i don't see the point in signing another Tommy Stewart.

I still think the biggest problem we have is Central Defence. With the exception of Willie K, I don't think any of the other defenders are aggressive and 'bad' enough. I'd prioritise that ahead of a forward. I don't think Robertson is worth re-signing for that position and we're now well covered in the centre of the park for his style of play.

• Members

I hope to God this turns out to be as great signing as many people think it will be.

I don't know how many more Derek Whyte/Stevie Fulton/Brian Martin/Ray Montgomery wash-ups at Firhill I can take.

I thought Monty was alright. Unfortunately he was amongst some of the biggest diddies I've ever seen at the Club at the time.

Don't mean this to come over wrong, but I'm glad we're signing a bit of a bam. Quite a while now since we've had anything resembling a mad ball winner; probably BMMMH was the last of that type, and of course he could play and score.

Got to agree with Willjag that we shouldn't take our eyes off our frailties in central defence. A solid, competent centre half is our remaining priority imo. We managed to return a decent account in the goals against column last term despite my worries to the contrary, but that's still where we need to bolster I reckon.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Hugh Murray was a player I thought would have had all the first division clubs lining up to offer a contract so surprised we got him.

Share some of willjags concerns about creativity in the midfield, Erskine can only be relied on to be unreliable and Bannigan has plenty of potential but can he forfill it? Also if Sinclair goes then Stuart may be asked to take the wing back role again.

I would like to see an experienced centre back come in but for me an experienced striker would be the priority now.

Edited by Alan Murray

Well said Dave :thumbsup2:

Most St Mirren fans seem absolutely gutted to have lost him. Think Maxi played a big part in getting him signed up with the Jags

I remember chatting to a St Mirren fan who was gutted when they lost Maxi to us :innocent2:

Don't mean this to come over wrong, but I'm glad we're signing a bit of a bam. Quite a while now since we've had anything resembling a mad ball winner; probably BMMMH was the last of that type, and of course he could play and score.

Got to agree with Willjag that we shouldn't take our eyes off our frailties in central defence. A solid, competent centre half is our remaining priority imo. We managed to return a decent account in the goals against column last term despite my worries to the contrary, but that's still where we need to bolster I reckon.

Martin Canning from Hamilton has been mentioned on here a few times. I reckon he could probably do a job for us in the centre of defence.

Very pleased with the signing of Murray, and I think he could potentially fill the captain's roll (I don't expect Archie will continue as captain since he is getting involved in the coaching side of things). Like others, however, I am not sure how Paton fits in to all this. He could possibly return to right-back, in turn allowing O'Donnell to play further forward (where he is better suited, IMO), but I thought Paton looked much more comfortable playing in a midfield holding roll.

Martin Canning from Hamilton has been mentioned on here a few times. I reckon he could probably do a job for us in the centre of defence.

Very pleased with the signing of Murray, and I think he could potentially fill the captain's roll (I don't expect Archie will continue as captain since he is getting involved in the coaching side of things). Like others, however, I am not sure how Paton fits in to all this. He could possibly return to right-back, in turn allowing O'Donnell to play further forward (where he is better suited, IMO), but I thought Paton looked much more comfortable playing in a midfield holding roll.

I was thinking the same, though we could switch to the 4-2-3-1 that Jackie wanted at the start of last season. Would be good in theory as the two defensive midfielders would give similar cover to two centre backs with a sweeper, but it didn't really work last year.

I think the fact that Paton can play defensive midfield, right back and centre back means he can still play a regular role even if Murray takes over his midfield spot. It maybe explains why Paton was re-signed ...a player that can play several positions is valuable when you have a relatively small squad.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Noticed that Rowser filled in at sweeper when he came on at Hamilton.

Rowser has played in defence in the past when emergencies occurred and done OK - another example of a versatile player in our squad - but I can't see that being his main role if it leaves Paton and Murray in centre midfield. Not unless we either change formation to a 4-2-3-1 or we actually play one of them in a more attacking role ... Paton is the obvious choice as younger and does have a decent shot in him but I don't think his passing's good enough. Still we'll see. A lot will depend on whether we sign Welsh.

I must be the only Jags fan not particularly excited by the prospect of a Rowson, Murray, Paton midfield.

It has been mentioned, Will, but perhaps Rowson won't be a ninety minute man week out week in. Besides, and only half joking, one of the three will be suspended most weeks later on in the season.

It is tho' a bit puzzling. Even with just Paton & Rowson in front of three centrebacks I thought it was over defensive.

It has been mentioned, Will, but perhaps Rowson won't be a ninety minute man week out week in. Besides, and only half joking, one of the three will be suspended most weeks later on in the season.

It is tho' a bit puzzling. Even with just Paton & Rowson in front of three centrebacks I thought it was over defensive.

Think back to when we had Hutton, he sat back and allowed Rowson to push further up the park and this was reflected in his goal return. I'd imagine and hope that this would be a similar scenario.

Just a thought, with Ross County grinding results out last season to win the league, could this be the strategy for this coming season, a hard aggresive team that doesnt lose goals and wins by the odd goal??

Why, Armand?

A few reasons but one of the main ones is that I don't think he fits into the system that Jackie wants to play. The way I see it, we want three central midfielders - a ball winner, a ball player and a goal threat. Rowson could certainly fit into the ball winner category but Murray has first refusal on that; if he didn't, he would have gone elsewhere. I think Rowson might be happier pursuing a deal with a part-time club where he's not missing training to work around his studies to become an IFA.

We're also still talking to two central midfielders, Welsh and one other, which suggests that someone is for the chop or that we're really pushing the boat out for promotion.