Centenary Fund

Mediocre Pundit

The thing with a lottery is that you need a gambling license I believe, which costs around £3k a year (from memory, may be wrong), might not sound a lot but eats into profits before any money is made. When you add prizes onto the £3k, you can see why the club may be reluctant to have that expenditure for something that may not take off.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

IIRC, the Club used to benefit from having some sort of charitable status through the likes of the 800 Club or something similar (my memory's a bit fuzzy here) that used to let the Club earn cash without having to shell out too much in taxes etc. I was told recently that a member of the old board shut that down and it's much more difficult now to get the same status without jumping through numerous hoops. So just wondering if that would have helped as I see that Clyde's lottery is run by their Supporters Trust. maybe this is something that the Jags Trust can be asked to look into or perhaps Junior knows already as he was instrumental in setting up the Trusts draw at the time?

IIRC, the Club used to benefit from having some sort of charitable status through the likes of the 800 Club or something similar (my memory's a bit fuzzy here) that used to let the Club earn cash without having to shell out too much in taxes etc. I was told recently that a member of the old board shut that down and it's much more difficult now to get the same status without jumping through numerous hoops. So just wondering if that would have helped as I see that Clyde's lottery is run by their Supporters Trust. maybe this is something that the Jags Trust can be asked to look into or perhaps Junior knows already as he was instrumental in setting up the Trusts draw at the time?

We have the Partick Thistle Community Trust, money raised would go to them though rather than the footballing side of the club, unless an agreement was made (if that's possible).

The thing with a lottery is that you need a gambling license I believe, which costs around £3k a year (from memory, may be wrong), might not sound a lot but eats into profits before any money is made. When you add prizes onto the £3k, you can see why the club may be reluctant to have that expenditure for something that may not take off.

If it wished to do so, then it seems likely that the Club could operate a lottery to comply with the rules for Small Society Lotteries, for which no licence fee is required. http://lotteriescouncil.org.uk/public/legal/running.shtml

If it wished to do so, then it seems likely that the Club could operate a lottery to comply with the rules for Small Society Lotteries, for which no licence fee is required. http://lotteriescoun...l/running.shtml

Not sure about as this is for "non-commercial" societies. Don't think PTFC would be able to get approval by this means.

Not sure about as this is for "non-commercial" societies. Don't think PTFC would be able to get approval by this means.

Too liner, Allan. It might require an entity other than PTFC Limited to operate and run the lottery and one would probably want to ask the Commission to give its blessing to the proposed structure, but I expect it wouldn't be that difficult if there was a desire to do it this way.

It's also possible that some of the funds generated might need to be earmarked for community projects & youth teams, but if the Club is already spending money on this, then it becomes a paper re-allocation of resources rather than a real cost.

Still haven't received any communication from the Club relating to my prize from the July draw and I have now chased them for an update.

It really does nothing to encourage people to upgrade membership or new people to sign on if the draws can't be made and prizes distributed in a timely fashion. Overheads are fixed and every new or upgraded membership goes straight onto the bottom line.

With all the good work that's been done at the Club over the last 12 months, it's a real shame that the main fundraiser has been left to languish in this way.

It's a glorified raffle, not rocket science and if the person currently tasked with running it is incapable of effectively doing so, then he should step aside and let someone else deal with it.

Out of curiosity, and minor boredom, I looked back through the forum to see when the draw results were announced...

Jan 20th 2011

Feb 20th 2011

Mar 17th 2011

Apr 15th 2011

May 19th 2011

Jun 22nd 2011

Jul 27th 2011

Aug 16th 2011

Sep 20th 2011

Oct 20th 2011

Nov 18th 2011

Dec 21st 2011

Jan 23rd 2012

Feb 26th 2012

Mar 29th 2012

Apr 27th 2012

Jun 1st 2012 (May Draw)

Jul 5th 2012 (June Draw)

Aug 1st 2012 (July Draw)

Sep 3rd 2012 (August Draw)

I can't see anywhere on the website where it states the 15th of the month as the draw date, but I have vague memories of it being there in the past.

Also, the Join Now tab page includes an email link to Ami Small. I thought she left a few months ago?

Don,t know if this question has already been raised but when was the last time that a announcement on how much the Centenary Fund had raised has been made. Do they normally only say once a year and when?

Wouldn,t mind knowing how many are in the Fund in comparison to the old 800 Club and the breakdown on membership levels.

As someone says there was a lot of fanfare and now not much news now.

Also I recently recieved a certificate and a membership card. Can the card be used for discounts?

If not I would say it was a bit of a waste of money on printing, post etc that could just as easy be kept in the funds raised.

Edited by topcat

I can't see anywhere on the website where it states the 15th of the month as the draw date, but I have vague memories of it being there in the past.

Also, the Join Now tab page includes an email link to Ami Small. I thought she left a few months ago?

All here - http://www.ptfccentenaryfund.co.uk/join includine the following line 'The draw will take place on or before the 15th of each month'.

Email is just a generic [email protected] so although Ami used to answer from this account, it won't have been used by her exclusively.

Don,t know if this question has already been raised but when was the last time that a announcement on how much the Centenary Fund had raised has been made. Do they normally only say once a year and when?

Wouldn,t mind knowing how many are in the Fund in comparison to the old 800 Club and the breakdown on membership levels.

As someone says there was a lot of fanfare and now not much news now.

Also I recently recieved a certificate and a membership card. Can the card be used for discounts?

If not I would say it was a bit of a waste of money on printing, post etc that could just as easy be kept in the funds raised.

and likewise, how much have the Jags Trust received on the back of this, in shares.

All here - http://www.ptfccente...fund.co.uk/join includine the following line 'The draw will take place on or before the 15th of each month'.

Email is just a generic [email protected] so although Ami used to answer from this account, it won't have been used by her exclusively.

At the risk of sounding paranoid, that has been changed since last night.

At the bottom of the page...

This page last updated on 5th September 2012, 7:45am

At the risk of sounding paranoid, that has been changed since last night.

Yep, it has been changed from Ami's old PTFC address since I looked for CF contact details yesterday. A small error on the website that has now been fixed (though presumably emails to Ami's old address get routed to someone else in the office in any event).

and likewise, how much have the Jags Trust received on the back of this, in shares.

I suspect the answer is zero. The NorthWestThree were supposedly following up on this after the 'leap of faith' and them promptly pissing off all the good guys who tried to steer the JT in a more positive direction.

So what are we left with ? A rump of a Trust with falling membership, a Club Board Rep who the Club is not happy to invite along, the old 1m shares whose value in the light of PropCo is questionable, a shambolic Centenary Fund and apparently no new shares accruing to the Trust. Maybe someone from the Trust can correct any out-of-date items in this list? Donald?

The saddest thing in all of this is that the NW3 coven left the Trust as a lifeless corpse.

Edited by sandy

I suspect the answer is zero. The NorthWestThree were supposedly following up on this after the 'leap of faith' and them promptly pissing off all the good guys who tried to steer the JT in a more positive direction.

So what are we left with ? A rump of a Trust with falling membership, a Club Board Rep who the Club is not happy to invite along, the old 1m shares whose value in the light of PropCo is questionable, a shambolic Centenary Fund and apparently no new shares accruing to the Trust. Maybe someone from the Trust can correct any out-of-date items in this list? Donald?

The saddest thing in all of this is that the NW3 coven left the Trust as a lifeless corpse.

Does the Trust still exist, not heard a peep from them in years, if they do still exist for what purpose on what agenda and representing who?

Going forward I nominate Sigge Sigge for chairman, president secretary and treasurer, let's run the trust like North Korea would, controlled by as little as possible answerable to no one and very secretive and paranoid… wait a minute we already have that

• 4 weeks later...