Lay Off Chris Erskine

Jago1953

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players that try to be positive and make things happen ,like Chris, are always liable to give the ball away more than players who just try to retain possession , like Shug Murray. If he was solely losing possesion and not making things happen there would be a problem. But thankfully that's not the case!!!! His goals yesterday were of a quality rarely seen in the first division. Love the guy. Players like Chris should be given full support.

Players that try to be positive and make things happen ,like Chris, are always liable to give the ball away more than players who just try to retain possession , like Shug Murray. If he was solely losing possesion and not making things happen there would be a problem. But thankfully that's not the case!!!! His goals yesterday were of a quality rarely seen in the first division. Love the guy. Players like Chris should be given full support.

I agree, Thistle have a long tradition of players like Chris. I have a vague recollection of Denis McQuade attempting to back heel a ball in the net in the League Cup Final in 1971. We are lucky to have Chris at the club, his goals yesterday were worth the admission money alone!

I hope he continues to play this shite and people continue to get on his back. Lol.

Feck sake sometimes it doesn't come off for flair players but I can guarantee you one thing. In any 90 mins of football Chris will give you a piece of brilliance that no-one on the pitch is capable of even thinking about.

I hope he continues to play this shite and people continue to get on his back. Lol.

Feck sake sometimes it doesn't come off for flair players but I can guarantee you one thing. In any 90 mins of football Chris will give you a piece of brilliance that no-one on the pitch is capable of even thinking about.

My view entirely. Maybe at one time if Chris had a poor start he lost confidence in himself and possibly those around him did to a lesser extent as well. Much more self confident these days. Didn't let a first half when next to nothing was coming off for him effect him in any way.

A wee bit harsh on the 60s & 70s, Junior. There were countless quality creative midfielders (wing halves and inside forwards who played deep) who you could hardly describe as kick and rush. If anything the impatient, direct, punting the ball upfield stuff was more prominent in later decades as quality midfielders became thinner on the ground.

I know this is probably just pedantic but in the 60s and 70s nobody played the W-M formation any more (well maybe at the start of the 60s). After all in 67 Celtic won league and European Cup playing 4-2-4, with Bobby Murdoch and Bertie Auld in midfield (players who were equally hard cases and skillful passers of the ball, which you had to be when you only had two in midfield).

Though admittedly some teams went more for two tough guys in the middle with the skill coming from the wings.

Erskine is on fire at the moment and is reminding me why I'm a Thistle fan. I've been mildly critical at times in the past, but the TV coverage showed things you don't always see when you're at the game and yesterday I saw some stunning control from the man, first class judgement skills in close situations and top drawer finishing ability.

I don't know anything about Chris's state of mind and stuff like that, but I'm sure that hearing the whole support getting right behind him, both when he's firing on all cylinders AND when he has an off patch, will be good for his confidence levels. In my opinion, we need to make a big fuss of this talent and give him every reason to want to stay a Jag for as many years as poss.

Not seen anything like him for decades, but this guy is special; he's a winner and just what we need for the next few seasons. Just how I see things.

Erskine is on fire at the moment and is reminding me why I'm a Thistle fan. I've been mildly critical at times in the past, but the TV coverage showed things you don't always see when you're at the game and yesterday I saw some stunning control from the man, first class judgement skills in close situations and top drawer finishing ability.

I don't know anything about Chris's state of mind and stuff like that, but I'm sure that hearing the whole support getting right behind him, both when he's firing on all cylinders AND when he has an off patch, will be good for his confidence levels. In my opinion, we need to make a big fuss of this talent and give him every reason to want to stay a Jag for as many years as poss.

Not seen anything like him for decades, but this guy is special; he's a winner and just what we need for the next few seasons. Just how I see things.

I could not agree more but I do.

Amen.

Only other shirt i want to see The Bridge wear in the next 5 years, is a Scotland shirt.

I've just watched the highlights of the Livi and Raith matches, and on the strength of those two matches alone:

Chris Erskine is a terrific player! We're lucky to have him in this team, and we'll be lucky to hold on to him. I'd say that he is our single biggest threat to other teams' defences, causing panic every time he goes on a run. He tackles, he dribbles, he passes, and he scores, and he entertains.

Great player.

Footballers live off confidence. I played fives last night, made a few bad passes, and was gash the rest of the game as I was worried I would let me team mates down. Now my skill level is 2.3% of Chris Erskine but when people start shouting at each other and getting on at each other it will cause problems for that player unless they are made of steel.

I've just watched the highlights of the Livi and Raith matches, and on the strength of those two matches alone:

Chris Erskine is a terrific player! We're lucky to have him in this team, and we'll be lucky to hold on to him. I'd say that he is our single biggest threat to other teams' defences, causing panic every time he goes on a run. He tackles, he dribbles, he passes, and he scores, and he entertains.

Great player.

Spot on.

I'd argue that against Livi Erskine played better overall than the Raith game and he was a worthy MotM for that one.

Footballers live off confidence. I played fives last night, made a few bad passes, and was gash the rest of the game as I was worried I would let me team mates down. Now my skill level is 2.3% of Chris Erskine but when people start shouting at each other and getting on at each other it will cause problems for that player unless they are made of steel.

Not disagreeing but I sense the big difference this season is that players typified by Chris have upped their confidence and an indifferent first half performance no longer means a quiet second half where they're waiting/expecting to be subbed. I remember Jackie saying about this time last season he had to take a players off as their confidence was shattered. Not happening now and apart from the few usual suspects the fans are both far more supportive and patient.

Some, maybe, but, as in all other walks of life, others have nerves of steel.

(BTW, are you sure you aren't just gash at five-a-sides, regardless of your confidence? :innocent2: )

Depends on your point of view. If it's my POV then my team let me down, everything was against me, the ref was blind, the opposition were dirty etc. If it's the other members of the team then yes. I am gash.

Great player.

Erskine is hitting top form just now but think both Doolan and Lawless are ahead of him. Would love to know lawless's goal per shot ratio!

Edited by Alan Murray