Bannigan, Lawless, O'donnell, Muirhead - Scotland Under 21?

simoncordiner

The way these guys are playing just now, and getting regular games, do we think any of them could get a sniff at Scotland Under 21?

From the PTFC website, Muirhead has just turned 22 so that counts him out...

Muirhead only turned 22 in August, so I believe he is eligible. Must admit I was thinking exactly the same. Bannigan must be a shoe in for left back

Hanlon is the u21 Scotland captain and he has been playing left back so there's not a hope that Bannigan would get a game in front of him.

There's not another u21 game for a couple of months anyway. I don't think Stark picks on form since Duffie of Falkirk was in the last squad when he's not been very good this season so far.

I think O'Donnell has got to be better than Ross Perry

Perry has been poor in the games that I have seen. Commentators and pundits have been critical of his performances too. However, they may be others ahead of O'Donnell.

Edit - Lawless could be in contention with his goal scoring record.

Edited by kni

I don't know why the young Scotland squad don't have monthly training meetups to which they invite promising on-form youngsters (like ours). This could boost their confidence and ability and give them the drive to go that bit further in the game. Instead we call them up 4 times a season sticking to that old mantra of the promise is greater than the current form.

I don't know why the young Scotland squad don't have monthly training meetups to which they invite promising on-form youngsters (like ours). This could boost their confidence and ability and give them the drive to go that bit further in the game. Instead we call them up 4 times a season sticking to that old mantra of the promise is greater than the current form.

That's an excellent idea. And it would also maybe have the advantage of making the players currently in favour try to up their game on seeing good players who could take their place.

Of course it'll never happen for two reasons: first it means extra work for the organisers and coaches and two it means they have to look beyond a narrow little clique of clubs.

That's an excellent idea. And it would also maybe have the advantage of making the players currently in favour try to up their game on seeing good players who could take their place.

Of course it'll never happen for two reasons: first it means extra work for the organisers and coaches and two it means they have to look beyond a narrow little clique of clubs.

The SFA would have to insure the players and compensate the clubs if a player was injured during such a get together between matches.

What would you say if Bannigan tore his cruciate ligament and was out for several months? Do you honestly think that the manager would be willing to take that risk?

Edited by kni

The SFA would have to insure the players and compensate the clubs if a player was injured during such a get together between matches.

What would you say if Bannigan tore his cruciate ligament and was out for several months? Do you honestly think that the manager would be willing to take that risk?

But this is what young people participating in any sport on the fringes of national youth squads should be doing. I'm sure the SFA could insure players for such a get together, it would only be a couple of days every couple of months.

By that argument we should drop all forms of international get togethers and m,aybe even international games altogether. If Bannigan was in line to get called up to the under-21s would you much prefer that he wasn't picked?

BTW the SFA is pretty wealthy and could easily afford insurance cover - including cover for players whose value is far higher than our players.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Saw Stark heading up to Firhill for the Falkirk game so he does watch our division.

Perhaps he was too disappointed at the Bairns performance to realise half the Jaggernaut team were eligible for the u21s.

I think Scotland has to install a playing style from the u15s up so the players can develop and feel comfortable each time they step up a grade. Much the way that Swansea started 8 years ago and what Jackie jnr began last season.

By that argument we should drop all forms of international get togethers and m,aybe even international games altogether. If Bannigan was in line to get called up to the under-21s would you much prefer that he wasn't picked?

BTW the SFA is pretty wealthy and could easily afford insurance cover - including cover for players whose value is far higher than our players.

Nonsense! Your logic is faulty to put it politely.

I was not advocating that internationals should be dropped or that our players should not be picked. I just pointed out that the management and fans would not be pleased if a player got injured during a "get together" between games. The squad is thin and we can't afford injuries that could be avoided.

I was also trying to suggest a possible reason (insurance costs) why squads don't get together between matches.

• 2 weeks later...