Just In From Crappielow

ayrshire jag

A bad day at office for Jags , can't defend corners, Fox glued to his line, lost 2 goals down to this. Even so we should have been well ahead t ht as played some great football. Erskine and Lawless were poor today. Murray is becoming a liability after his first half yellow it was always on cards he would get sent off. Horrendous tackle IMHO deserved a straight red. And oh nearly forgot the ref, Roach absolute joke denied us a stonewall penalty when it was 2-1.

Finally great support upwards and onwards, hope today was just a lip.

AJ

Agree with much of this. A basic inability to defend corners cost us the game. Oh, and add a basic inability to do anything useful with our own corners.

About playing some great football: well, there were some nice moments of flowing passes, but for me too much of it is just side-ways and backwards tapping that actually gives us no real advantage. I know some people say it's good to be patient, but if there's nothing at the end of all those passes, not even a shot, then what's the point. Yesterday their keeper made one save from a first-half free-kick and that was it. Forbes hit the post with another free-kick, and that was the total number of reasonable efforts that we had all afternoon (even our goal was a deflection).

Great support, yes. Deserved better.

Referee poor, yes. When Craig got pushed in the back in the penalty box my friend noticed that the referee glanced at his watch and then decided not to give the penalty; it was right before half time. That's the kind of performance that sees referees deservedly getting a lot of stick.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus we've lost 1 league game this season, bad day in the office it happens lets see how we bounce back before we unsheath the knives

Yeah, but we've won 1 point out of the last 6, and frankly have looked anything but potential champions. From what I'd read on here until a few weeks ago we were the new Barcelona!

Last season we seemed to kill Morton's aspirations stone dead with that 5-0 hammering. Have Morton done the same to us yesterday?

From where I was the sending off wasn't that clear cut - I saw it as a 50/50, two players going for the ball at full tilt. The picture isn't clear cut either (having trouble getting the pics up so need to wait a bit before seeing for yourselves). So I did think Shuggie was a bit unlucky to walk.

There was certainly a fair shout for a penalty on Craig in the first half and the handball in the second was a hand ball but presume the ref and assistant thought it was more ball to hand.

The ref dictated a lot of the way the game turned out yesterday.

• Members

About playing some great football: well, there were some nice moments of flowing passes, but for me too much of it is just side-ways and backwards tapping that actually gives us no real advantage. I know some people say it's good to be patient, but if there's nothing at the end of all those passes, not even a shot, then what's the point.

The point of it Jaggernaut is you wear teams down. If you can get a team chasing shadows come nearer the end of the game their forwards are more tired and your defence i less likely to lose goals near the end of the game and if you can tire their midfield and defence, they can't cover any runs effectively and therefore it creates more chances for you to score late goals. It's no conincidence that the most successful teams over the past few years are playing this type of football with no need for filling the teams with big powerful players the way Martin O'Neill used to love to set his Celtic teams up.

Referee poor, yes. When Craig got pushed in the back in the penalty box my friend noticed that the referee glanced at his watch and then decided not to give the penalty; it was right before half time. That's the kind of performance that sees referees deservedly getting a lot of stick.

Yeah, noticed that as well and thought it was an odd thing to do. If Craig had still been on his feet he would have had a good chance at a shot at goal as the ball bounced back into the same area.

• Members

Yeah, but we've won 1 point out of the last 6, and frankly have looked anything but potential champions. From what I'd read on here until a few weeks ago we were the new Barcelona!

Last season we seemed to kill Morton's aspirations stone dead with that 5-0 hammering. Have Morton done the same to us yesterday?

Yep, you've definitely jinxed the team Jaggernaut! And no.

The support was pretty pish yesterday volume wise. If you are going to nab the space at the back you have an obligation to get the sing song going.

Conceeding 2 goals at corners was disappointing but we still played much better football than Morton, really isnt the end of the world.

We have lost ONCE in the league this year. You have said elsewhere you have only seen the last two games, so maybe wait until you have seen a few more before writing off our title chances. Jeez.

The last two games were very tough away games so I would not read too much in to that statistic. We have not played to our very best in the last few games but when we do we are an excellent side. A win against Airdrie in a couple of weeks and we will be no worse than joint top - not that bad when you think about it.

I really enjoyed yesterday, up to the point where we went down to ten men. A few pints in town and a wee carry out on the train through to Greenock. The train was packed with Jags fans and some sing songs on the way through helped get a good atmosphere going before the game.

I wasn't impressed with the selection of Forbes to start the match. He seemed to be picked for the purpose of taking set pieces. He was clearly not fit and it showed badly at times, in my opinion. It doesn't matter that he hit the post, I think McNamara got it wrong with that one. I have Sinclair on the left and Bannigan into the midfield until Forbes is match fit to at least stake a claim.

I wasn't impressed with Morton at all but they were effective with their set pieces but our marking was shocking. You can't really make any excuses for the team if they can't do the basics right. I thought we played better with ten men but even with eleven men on the park we didn't test their keeper enough. Craig worked his baws off up front and scored a good goal. I'd definitely start him next week and I can't see how anyone could disagree with that.

I'm not too downhearted and the team has done fantastic so far. The Airdrie game is massive for us, as we are now the ones doing the chasing.

Edited by northernsoul

Morton had already lost 4-1 to QOTS before losing 5-0 to us last season.

Putting things in perspective

Season 2001/2... after 9 games Jags- 18pts

Season 2012/13..after 8 games Jags- 19pts

Having already exceeded our last league winning team's 1st quarter points tally is none too bad. :thumbsup2:

We were second after 8 games in 2001/02 as well. Omen.

Crazy tho' the Murray tackle was I doubt he lost us three points. Felt we might have got a draw with eleven on the park but we were too sluggish in midfield from the kick off. Gordie made a good point about having both Forbes and Murray in the team and Paton isn't exactly that nippy as well.

I fully expected that Shug would pick up many a yellow card and perhaps a red or two. What I never expected to see was such a needless ordering off so high up the park. I feel he owes the fans, manager and teammates a big time apology.

What about the guy with the broken leg, does he not deserve an apology?

The Airdrie match will be crucial I think. We've come off two difficult away games, so a good result against Airdrie (and Cowdenbeath and Cove Rangers too, but less so) would be a good confidence boost going into a couple of difficult games in Falkirk away then Dunfermline and Livingston at home.

I know it goes against everything we learn as Thistle fans, but let's be positive again!

How about we look on the positives? Just for change. :)

Played 8 - out of a possible 24 points we have taken 19.

Played 4 - away out of a possible 12 points taken 7. > won 2 drawn 1 lost 1, and we haven't even been to any of the part time teams yet.

Compare our away record to last year - Won 5 drawn 5 lost 8.

I think you are right, we are no Barcelona, but my god we are a completely different team from last year We can go to away days feeling confident and believe it or not sometimes we might just lose!

There is nothing to worry about just yet, if we get beat by Airdrie at home then maybe we should panic!

Now that the hoodoo is burst....can we get back to being red n yellow Jags yet?

You know we will play better in our real colours!!!!!!

We can't yet, well not until November at least as we don't have any to wear. Problems with supplier and retailer.

How about we look on the positives? Just for change. :)

Played 8 - out of a possible 24 points we have taken 19.

Played 4 - away out of a possible 12 points taken 7. > won 2 drawn 1 lost 1, and we haven't even been to any of the part time teams yet.

Compare our away record to last year - Won 5 drawn 5 lost 8.

I think you are right, we are no Barcelona, but my god we are a completely different team from last year We can go to away days feeling confident and believe it or not sometimes we might just lose!

There is nothing to worry about just yet, if we get beat by Airdrie at home then maybe we should panic!

Thanks for the morale boosting. You're right. Positive it is!

No home strips avail for team to play in, when we changed sponsor from MACB to the Employment sols then back again, no strips were ordered.

you would think we would still have a least a few sets of strips from the start of last season when MacB was the sponsor. All very bizarre really. Maybe the club should give a statement about why we aren't wearing our home strip

Obviously disappointing to lose our unbeaten record but we really only have ourselves to blame. Our incapability to defend set-pieces is a huge concern and, if teams get wise to it, could derail any title challenge before its even started. Raith caused us problems any time they got corners last week and, on Saturday, the first two goals we lost were absolutely criminal. What's more, Cowdenbeath have some pretty imposing players too and I'm sure they will be well aware of our set-piece fragility.

After Saturday, I've got some big question marks over Fox. In terms of shot stopping, I don't think there's many better in the league but his command of his area is absolutely horrendous. Morton stood someone in front of him at every corner and he just allowed him to back into him. Why the hell is Hinchy not telling him to get this guy out of his way at all costs? Push him out the way, elbows out and knees up just as the corner-taker is about to hit the ball - it's the most standard rule of Sunday league football and one that translates to the professional game; I've rarely seen a keeper penalised for doing this. If he's not willing to be so aggressive, get someone else in - simple as; we cannot afford to have a keeper as timid as Fox.

Despite the result, I think there were quite a few positives to take from the game. I thought we dominated large spells of the first half and retained possession well despite threatening little. I thought Stevie Craig was unplayable in the first half and caused the Morton defence no end of problems; so much so, in fact, that I think we slightly altered our game-plan to go more direct which I don't think was the best move. Despite tiring in the second half, I thought Forbes was the pick of our midfield; rarely lost the ball, was always available for a pass and, as we saw, is a big threat from set-pieces.

One thing that seems to have been ignored somewhat amongst the whole furore about Shug is the save that Gaston made from Forbes' free kick. It was well disguised, was heading right into the bottom corner and Gaston has made a terrific save to turn it around the post. Had that went in, we would have been 2-1 up and the dynamic of the game would have changed, with Morton pushing forward allowing us to play them on the counter.

Outwith the set-pieces, I really didn't think Morton were much of a threat. After Shug's red card, the game opened up for them a bit and they were able to carve out a few opportunities but, on the whole, you would have struggled to realise that we were down to ten men at times. I've seen him a good few times now and I still simply cannot comprehend the spunkfest that Morton fans have over Tidser - he's bog ordinary, in my opinion, and wouldn't get near our starting midfield. Bachirou, on the other hand, is an excellent player and broke up many an attack on Saturday. Campbell is a bit of pest and Gaston looks like a decent keeper. Will they in the title race? I'm not sure but any team that can win 3-1 whilst not playing overly well have to be in consideration.

Perfect opportunity to bounce back in a cup semi-final. Hopefully Welsh will be back because it's no coincidence that our form has trailed off in his absence. I had my doubts whether Welsh and Forbes could play in the same midfield but I think it would be interesting to see them playing together with Paton sitting.

Edited by Armand2

So many negatives could be taken from the game.

a couple that spring to mind is Fox commanding the box, he doesn't... some will point to his 2 reaction saves at Raith, but he wouldn't have needed to have made one of them, if he had come for the high ball. His distribuition was terrible at times also.

too many players control and passing was just shocking. if something was going to go wrong, it was going to happen on Saturday. over hit passes, misplaced passes, miscontrolled passes, midfielders hiding and not looking to receive a pass, everything we have built our season on so far, went wrong.

but i'm not going to start wetting my knickers, start threads about individual players questioning their merit in the starting line up or demand they be dropped. i'll leave that to others.

i thought we struggled to find space on Morton's small pitch at times and players were too bunched up... you can imagine how i felt when i saw Cowden's park is even smaller!

on a plus point, it was great that so many stayed behind at full time to give the players a clap. it maintains the "in this together" attitude, and hopefully the players can put saturday behind them and move on.

special mention for the guy shouting "fcksake Erskine" as the ball was passed BEHIND erskine. who then went onto proclaim "when you're in a battle, the last person you want in the team is Erskine".... just as he crunched a guy on the half way line to set up a counter attack!