Attendances

Lenziejag2

if we stay up the spl next season, and we are therefore on a more solid financial footing, would it be worthwhile putting seats in the enclosure section. How many extra seats could we get, and what would the cost prohibitions be like?

You seem to be forgetting that PropCo has plans to demolish the main stand and replace it with a much smaller one.

You seem to be forgetting that PropCo has plans to demolish the main stand and replace it with a much smaller one.

that is true, but when those plans were getting drawn up it was pretty inconcievable that the main stand would be used at all at the time, now its become a regular feature, so maybe plans will change??

The case for a new stand at the city end is getting stronger by the day. And I don't mean a 300-seater. Something similar to the north stand is required, and then the main stand can be finally retired until it gets demolished and redeveloped.ETA: No idea why this is all underlined.

And easy to edit out Jaggernaut. :admin:

Edited by Willjag

The case for a new stand at the city end is getting stronger by the day. And I don't mean a 300-seater. Something similar to the north stand is required, and then the main stand can be finally retired until it gets demolished and redeveloped.ETA: No idea why this is all underlined.

And easy to edit out Jaggernaut. :admin:

Thanks, admin. I'd tried and failed!

You just needed to highlight the whole text and then click on the U above in the editing field. :admin:

• 2 weeks later...

I realise I am being selective, but these attendances from the weekend 16-17 August 2013 are worth noting, even for simple contrastive purposes: PTFC v Hearts - 6540; St Mirren v Killie - 4625; Dundee v Alloa - 4167; Stranraer v Rangers - 3473; Falkirk v Morton - 3058; ICT v Motherwell - 3031; St Johnstone v Ross County - 2833. How "Premier" do the last four on this list think they really are?

How "Premier" do the last four on this list think they really are?

Are you really as simple/arrogant as this comment makes you sound?

For the record our own crowds are sh1te when you consider we have over 1million people living on our doorstep. Given that historically our crowds don't compare well to teams of a similar size I can't really understand why you make snooty comments each week about other teams crowds.

Rather than judge teams by their following why not applaud them for their achievements? For example St Johnstone crowds are awful but I would love for the Jags to achieve what they have over the last 12 months. Livi & Hamilton have terrible crowds but their youth policies are amazing and their home produced players populate international squads.

And as for your fortnightly inclusion of Rangers away crowds in grounds of limited capacity...what's the point of that?

Edited by ClydebankJag
  • Like 3

Are you really as simple/arrogant as this comment makes you sound?

For the record our own crowds are sh1te when you consider we have over 1million people living on our doorstep. Given that historically our crowds don't compare well to teams of a similar size I can't really understand why you make snooty comments each week about other teams crowds.

Rather than judge teams by their following why not applaud them for their achievements? For example St Johnstone crowds are awful but I would love for the Jags to achieve what they have over the last 12 months. Livi & Hamilton have terrible crowds but their youth policies are amazing and their home produced players populate international squads.

And as for your fortnightly dig at Rangers away crowds in grounds of limited capacity...what's the point of that?

Good points especially those regarding St Johnstone and Hamilton with the success one club has had recently and the excellent youth set up at Accies.

I was a bit suprised that the North Stand wasn't busier against Hearts (going with the tv pictures) but this will get better if Thistle can sustain this present level of performance and stay in the top flight.

Build on this and become an established SPFL club for years to come and it will attract more folk along and extra revenue for ground improvements and to keep the youth academy going.

That will attract the best young talents to the club and hopefully Thistle will find a few gems like Accies have done.

I realise I am being selective, but these attendances from the weekend 16-17 August 2013 are worth noting, even for simple contrastive purposes: PTFC v Hearts - 6540; St Mirren v Killie - 4625;FC Dundee v Alloa - 4167; Stranraer v Rangers - 3473; Falkirk v Morton - 3058; ICT v Motherwell - 3031; St Johnstone v Ross County - 2833. How "Premier" do the last four on this list think they really are?

Based on the Hearts number of fans going to away matches, it should be as follows when Killie visits Firhill and Hearts go to Paisley:

PTFC v Killie. - 4540

St.Mirren v Hearts - 6625.

Dear Fellow-Listmembers: I am happy to aver that I am neither simple nor arrogant! I am, however, interested in attendances at football matches and am content to give the numbers as officially reported by the various clubs, without attempting to evaluate other aspects - which other Listmembers are more qualified to do. I do retain a concern that - irrespective of their on-field achievements - St Johnstone and ICT seem incapable of drawing statistically decent 'Premier' crowds - a concern which Terry Butcher has also cogently expressed often. The inclusion - on this occasion - of the attendance of the Rangers game at Stranraer (something which I do NOT do fortnightly!) was simply to highlight the paucity of the attendances at Perth and Inverness. I hope this helps to clarify my stance.

Inverness is H*n territory, isn´t it? I spent a day there in April and saw a few Rangers shirts, a few h*ns in the pubs also talking about events at Ibrox in those days. It must be hard for Caley to change that stance. Maybe if they get into European competition next season, they might be able to do a sell-out in an August preliminary round without the need of away fans. Otherwise, getting an average of 5,000+ seems highly unlikely.

Inverness is H*n territory, isn´t it? I spent a day there in April and saw a few Rangers shirts, a few h*ns in the pubs also talking about events at Ibrox in those days. It must be hard for Caley to change that stance. Maybe if they get into European competition next season, they might be able to do a sell-out in an August preliminary round without the need of away fans. Otherwise, getting an average of 5,000+ seems highly unlikely.

Is this not the problem all over scotland. Sadly the majority of people don't support their local team, they support one of the ugly sisters. It's something that we will never be able to change and because of this Scottish football will always be doomed with no competition at the top.

In saying that I lived in Aberdeen for a year and everyone seems to support them but they seem to struggle to get the crowds in ( years of no success). If they could average 18000 a game they would be able to strengthen so much to compete with the OF.

The points about Inverness, county and st Johnstone is that these clubs can offer better money than thistle and have lower attendances. How long can these teams sustain that!

I can in a way understand how much of the Western Highlands and Islands have a leaning towards sevco/rangers. They have no local side to support so they gravitate to one of the two big clubs. Religion no doubt settles which one they "support". Inverness until relatively recently had no senior club so the same can be said of that city. Besides Inverness is about the same population as Cumbernauld and not that much larger than Glenrothes and neither of those towns can sustain a senior football club.

I think you'll find very few places if indeed any outside of Edinburgh and Aberdeen where the local team isn't at best the third best supported club in the town. Just a sad fact,

Incidentally is Ross County the only football club where the entire population of the club's town can fit in its stadium?

I do retain a concern that - irrespective of their on-field achievements - St Johnstone and ICT seem incapable of drawing statistically decent 'Premier' crowds

Each to their own.

• Perth population - 137,520
  • Inverness population - 72,000
  • Glasgow population - 598,830

Are our crowds 4 to 6 times greater than the clubs you are having a go at? Is around 4,000 home fans reasonable in a city with a population of 600k? What do our crowds say about us in your view of 'Premier' class crowds?

Knowing our history there is a real chance that we will have home crowds lower than both those at St Johnstone and ICT this weekend, I'd hate for some snotty nosed fan from another club to use that as a tool to have a dig at us.

I can in a way understand how much of the Western Highlands and Islands have a leaning towards sevco/rangers. They have no local side to support so they gravitate to one of the two big clubs. Religion no doubt settles which one they "support"

You obviously have never been to Barra, Erriskay or South Uist (Western Islands) or huge tracts of Ardnamurchan and Moidart (Western Highlands) where religion does indeed settle who many support but it's certainly not Sevco.

• Like 1

Are our crowds 4 to 6 times greater than the clubs you are having a go at? Is around 4,000 home fans reasonable in a city with a population of 600k? What do our crowds say about us in your view of 'Premier' class crowds?

We have the adequate reason (excuse?) of the OF being right on our doorstep though. It's a disgrace that towns like Inverness, Perth, Motherwell and Kilmarnock have more OF fans in them than fans of the local team.

Edited by Roque

Each to their own.

• Perth population - 137,520
  • Inverness population - 72,000
  • Glasgow population - 598,830

Knowing our history there is a real chance that we will have home crowds lower than both those at St Johnstone and ICT this weekend, I'd hate for some snotty nosed fan from another club to use that as a tool to have a dig at us.

This is an instance where you can make numbers say what you want.

Clydebank has omitted to include the number of senior teams in each of those towns - 1 each in Inverness and Perth and 4 or 5(depending on whether you include Clyde).

Having said that, I don't think that 6500 vs Hearts, compared to almost 8,000 vs Dundee Utd is particularly good. Where did 1500 fans disappear to.

Clydebank has omitted to include the number of senior teams in each of those towns - 1 each in Inverness and Perth and 4 or 5(depending on whether you include Clyde).

Having said that, I don't think that 6500 vs Hearts, compared to almost 8,000 vs Dundee Utd is particularly good. Where did 1500 fans disappear to.

Neutrals with a soft spot for the jags that have been starved of football over the summer. Many fans who can't make every game choosing DU over others because of the perceived grudge match, first game of the season, flag "raising" ceremony, etc.

I can in a way understand how much of the Western Highlands and Islands have a leaning towards sevco/rangers.

You obviously have never been to Barra, Erriskay or South Uist (Western Islands) or huge tracts of Ardnamurchan and Moidart (Western Highlands) where religion does indeed settle who many support but it's certainly not Sevco.

What the f**k!

Read my post again and tell me how you interpret the meaning of "much of"?

The dangers of selective quoting I suppose

Came up for the DUFC and Hearts games.Like a lot of folk cant afford this every week.A lot of people just have to be selective.

Spot on, a lot of people can't make every game so they will pick ones that interest them ie. first game of the season.

Games against Ross county & ICT don't interest the average joe bloggs and couple that with small away supports for these fixtures think we would be looking at under 4000!

Like this entire pointless thread?

• Like 3

Purely for noting and report, the Premiership attendances this Saturday (24th August 2013) which are within our range were as follows: Dundee Utd v St Johnstone - 6992 - they regard this as a local derby; Motherwell v Partick Thistle - 5527 - with over 1200 Jags fans present; Killie v Hibs - 3807 - and the Sunday papers are asking whether SPFL Premiership football is sustainable on attendances at this level; and Ross County v St Mirren - 3142 - 189 fewer than for the recent Thistle visit.