Team V Falkirk

Alan Murray

I would bring back Archie back in to the side. Balatoni has done well but playing a right sided centre back on the left is not ideal and Archie’s experience is vital.

I would keep Forbes in the side and leave Murray in the stand. Hugh was excellent for us at the start of the season however his form has dropped and Forbes has earned his chance to establish himself in the team.

Games against Falkirk have always been good and their open style of play will suit us. The Falkirk striker Taylor is a big danger; he really impressed me at Firhill.

............................Fox

O'Donnell....Muirhead.....Archibald….Bannigan

.........................Paton......................

..........…… Welsh …………..Forbes

…………...Lawless.............Erskine

....................... Craig

Subs:

Scully

Sinclair

Slane

Doolan

Elliot

I'd play the same side but with Doolan instead of Craig. Doolan is the type of striker that will give Dods a difficult time, especially with Erskine and Lawless alongside since him. I think he has a fairly decent record against Falkirk too.

This. Don't think Craig would be as effective playing against Dods, whereas Doolan's movement will cause him problems.

Funny wee video wit Chris Erskine on the Glaswegian today. Kenny Crichton makes a joke appearance (not quite Yogi Hughes-esque thankfully).

http://www.theglaswe...ick-thistle-fc/

I was concerned by this comment from Erskine in the Glaswegian - http://www.theglaswe...02692-23935797/

“I’m out of contract in the summer and I’ve not been offered anything yet. I don’t know what’s going to happen.

“You want to further your career as much as possible and play at the highest level. So if an offer was to come in then I would definitely have a look at it."

So similar to Cairney last season!!

Edited by kni

Fox

O'Donnell Muirhead Balatoni Bannigan

Paton Murray

Lawless Welsh Erskine

Doolan

Subs:

Scully

Archibald

Forbes

Doolan

Elliot

Stand:

Sinclair

Slane

Agreed with most of that but you have Doolan starting (rightly) and on the bench (should be Craig). Archie is needed on the bench as Muirhead may be carrying his knock from last week. I'd be tempted to have Sinclair rather than Forbes on the bench too. I suspect that we may have an loan obligation to have Slane, instead of Elliot, on the bench.

Edited by kni

I think Falkirk were about the only team to have more possesion than us in the first league game of the season. For that reason I'd keep Forbes in midfield. His passing is better than Murray's and he's getting about the pitch now that his match fitness has improved. He also can hit a good free-kick.

I feel it's hard to drop any of the starting eleven from last Saturday. Falkirk will be more of a challenge no doubt. They are lacking in experience, especially in midfield so I don't see the need to rush Shug back.

Up front Craig has been doing well and I don't think Dods will phase him. Doolan scored a great goal last week but Craig also put in a great shift and created a lot of space for our midfield to exploit. I'd stick with Son of Joe for this one.

At the back Balatoni has slotted in really well the last couple of games. Falkirk have some good forward players in Taylor, Weatherston and Higgins. I feel Balatoni would have a bit more pace than Archie for this fixture. In my view, the hardest choice for Jackie to make as Archie has had a great first quarter.

So after all that I'd stick with the same team :P

Edited by jagfox

Agreed with most of that but you have Doolan starting (rightly) and on the bench (should be Craig). Archie is needed on the bench as Muirhead may be carrying his knock from last week. I'd be tempted to have Sinclair rather than Forbes on the bench too. I suspect that we may have an loan obligation to have Slane, instead of Elliot, on the bench.

Sorry i meant to start Craig and bench Doolan. Apologies. Reason being Craig will bully and harass Dods more than Doolan could.

It's good to have these problems though i guess.

Pretty similar to Alan Murray but would have to go with Doolan if he is fully fit. Wouldn't let Shuggy near the team in the fixture, he really hasn't done enough for the team I don't think, too slow and Forbes seems to be a better all round player.

............................Fox

O'Donnell....Muirhead.....Archibald….Bannigan

.........................Paton......................

..........…… Welsh …………..Forbes

……..Lawless...........................Erskine

....................... Doolan

Good to have these choices and the other thing is if you make the wrong choice you have some really good subs who can make a difference if you have to use them. Not like the old days when a few injuries to the first eleven meant we were reduced to a second rate team.

So far we've played games without: Archie, Murray, Doolan, Craig, Welsh, Sinclair (who we thought would be a regular this year), sometimes with 2 or 3 of them missing and the team has managed with the exception of one game to get a result every time.

Things are looking good.

I'd be inclined to play Archie since he played really well against them in the first game of the season. I'd also play Doolan purely on the principle that I think his scoring record against the Bairns is pretty good. Having said that, I think Craig could allow Erskine the space to create total havoc tomorrow. Really looking forward to his one....

yeah I would have Archie back in the team, that boy Taylor looks like he could be a bit of a handful and we will need Archies presence at set pieces with Taylor and Dods in the box. toss of a coin for me whether Dools or Craig plays,I would probably start with Craig to be honest. I think he will win us a few free kicks with big Dumpling Dods clambering all over him and run him ragged.If Dools starts then there's no complaints, he will probably do the same. looking forward to it, if we can get a win tomorrow it will be massive with Dunfermline at home to Cowdenbeath we will probably have to win to stay top, hopefully being top of the league going into the league game it will give us an edge.

Definitely stick with the same team as last week.

Balatoni wins every header in the air and looks more agile this season.. As for Craig/Doolan, I am not fussed who starts. Both are good players and bring different aspects to the game. Doolan could probably make more of an impact of the bench with his workrate therefor I would start Craig.

Definitely stick with the same team as last week.

Balatoni wins every header in the air and looks more agile this season.. As for Craig/Doolan, I am not fussed who starts. Both are good players and bring different aspects to the game. Doolan could probably make more of an impact of the bench with his workrate therefor I would start Craig.

Agreed...cant believe after last weeks performance that anyone wants to change that team!!

I think Balatoni has played really well, but neither Cowdenbeath nor Airdrie were exactly a big test for defenders. Lyle Taylor, on the other hand, will be. I'm not saying Conrad should be dropped, but Archie's experience could play a big part.

I think Forbes deserves his place. His passing is excellent and his set pieces can, and probably will, win matches, but Murray would allow Paton to move up the pitch and support Erskine and Doolan better.

Really not bothered whether Doolan or Craig starts. I'm inclined to think Doolan will cause the Falkirk defence more problems with his pace and movement, whereas Craig's presence probably wouldn't be as effective. Stopping Erskine and Lawless would be enough to give any defence a headache though, so the choice of "striker" isn't as big as it once was.

Overall, it's a nice problem to have.

If we play the same defence as last week then Muirhead is the oldest at 22 and we have a right sided centre back on the left. Over a period of games this in my opinion this will cost us goals – especially away from home. This is very hard on Conrad, however we have to play the best team and that includes Archie.

If you have a striker scoring goals like Craig then he needs to start imo.