Just In V Livi

Camallain

fine, give or take the first 1/2 hour.

Livvy are like a Thistle light. Play nice football, like to keep possession, and ping it about pretty well. Fortunately, just not quite as good as us at it!

11 games at Firhill this season, including friendlies and cup games. 11 wins.

Goals scored: a gazillion; goals conceded: gey few.

Brilliant.

• Like 2

Livi reminded me of us last season- not quite there. It was refreshing to see an opponent trying to play football against us for a change. Thought they were pretty decent and that our win was therefore superb- we're not going to hump everyone at home, let's face it. Very happy overall, though I had to laugh at the guy at the end who seemed genuinely put out cos we play the Hokey Cokey at the end of the match. I mean it's not my favourite track but not exactly worth whinging about after a good win like that, I'd have thought.

Poor for the first half hour. Passed the ball really poorly, partly down to Livi pressing us in our own half. Worst culprit was actually Sinclair who barely found a Thistle jersey in that first 30 minutes. He made up for it over the last hour of the game. Gave their right side a torrid time. Thought it was Erskine's run and shot that got us going. Deserved a goal for that. He'd have been my man of the match. Took up some great positions and was a real handful for them.

Once we went ahead you could see the players relax and the passing improved hugely. Had some really good spells of possession. The attitude of some fans is beyond belief though when we keep the ball in our own half, murmuring away for us to get it forward. At one point when we were 2 up we kept the ball like that for a while and the murmurs started. Thankfully the players ignored them, kept the ball and eventually drew Livi on to them before exploiting the space they'd left. It was only a poor final ball from Lawless that prevented a chance for a superb team goal.

No failures today against a decent Livi team. They also played some really good passing football, but didn't have the cutting edge we currently have, partly because we looked really solid at the back. Balatoni is improving week by week and playing with a lot of confidence.

Edited by Duck snort

Livi reminded me of us last season- not quite there. It was refreshing to see an opponent trying to play football against us for a change.

I would agree with that. I think they could be thereabouts in March/April if they can take their play and add a cutting edge to it, and probably should challenge next season. Like us last season, in fact.

Livi are clearly a decent side. As a result it took us a while to dominate possession. I thought the absence of Paton had an affect on Muirhead, as the former usually gives him an easy outlet. With Paton not there Muirhead was constantly looking for O'Donnell, even when the pass wasn't on. This seemed to have been sorted at the break though.

Does anyone know when Welsh is expexted to return? He's vital to our passing game.

And the ref was indeed awful. I work with the guy so I'll give him grief on Monday.

Welsh was in player zone today. He hopes to be fit for Morton game on boxing Day.

• Like 1

As soon as Sinclair knocks the ball past the right back in any given game and breezes past him once the tone is set for the rest of the match. He'd be as we'll pulling their skants down on the way past to demonstrate fully how silly he makes them look. He absolutely knows when he's got his opponent rattled and its glorious to watch.

The Livi right back (McCann) is the same guy who got ripped to bits by Sinclair when we gubbed Morton 5-0 last season.

Livi are a decent team, their wee number 10 was excellent.

No real failures from the jags although still not convinced Murray brings much to the team (might be slightly harsh since he's just back).

The defence still look unsure about Smith as he's very hesitant coming off his line but he did make a few decent saves. Hopefully the clean sheet will do him good.

All in all, a great win against a tricky team.

Livvy are like a Thistle light. Play nice football, like to keep possession, and ping it about pretty well. Fortunately, just not quite as good as us at it!

That's my take on it too. Best away team I've seen us play this season. Some of their passing was super, especially long, fast balls through the centre. What they lacked was that final bit of flair that we get from guys like Sinclair and Erskine.

Not really any failures in the team yesterday. Special mentions for:

Smith: Three very competent saves, good kicking. No crosses to deal with, so can't comment on the flapometer reading, but he looked good and comfortable yesterday.

Sinclair: Scintillating runs down the wing. He's great to watch in that form. Good defensively too. O'Donnell also had some good runs, but just less effective than of late.

Muirhead and Balatoni: Got the potential to be the next Campbell and Anderson. Older members will know what I mean.

Bannigan: Came onto his usual lively game. No doubt that he meant his goal; you could see him clearly looking up and spotting the keeper in the wrong place. Lovely goal.

Forbes: great passes and dead ball deliveries. Tends to slow play down a bit too much for my liking, but maybe he'll get faster.

Doolan: Put in a great shift, especially since for most of the first half especially he was the only man up, and was getting the ball with his back to goal. Unfortunate not to make contact with a couple of crosses.

Erskine: Ran Sinclair close for MotM in my book. A couple of great runs ending with good shots in the first half, and more excellent crosses in the second half.

All in all, a well-earned three points to keep us top of the league.

• Like 1

We were a bit slow getting out the blocks but that's because Livi played so high up the pitch at the beginning it took a bit of time to get used to.

Sinclair back to his best. Balatoni absolutely superb. Erskine unplayable all over the park. Bannigan and Forbes were brilliant as well.

Our team right now is the best 1st Division team I've ever seen.

Thought Forbes played well and is an important player for us, looking forward to Welsh playing in the same midfield. I think the goal margin could well have been more if we had Paton and Welsh fit.

Good to see Sinclair back to his best and on this form I prefer him to Bannigan.

Our defence looks solid and with the oldest being only 22! Cannot be many other teams in Scottish football with such a young backline. A big worry for this season was Archie getting injured but now Balatoni have come in and fulfilled the potential he has shown in previous seasons. He seems perfectly at home playing on his wrong side as well.

Hugh Murray had a decent enough game but little doubt for me Paton is the better option for us, we missed him yesterday.

Think lawless is a little off form at the moment however is still scoring goals so that should keep him in the side.

Edited by Alan Murray

A lot of Livingston's play reminded of us this season. They worked the width of the pitch really well by using their fullbacks/wing backs exactly like we've done this season. Nice passing and they too had similar players like Erskine and Lawless who love getting in behind the opposition midfield and running at the defence.

I don't think we were that bad in the first half. We all know we'll get these sort of games at home when we might not have as much of the ball as we've had before in other games this season. Erskine was unfortunate with his rasper of a shot, which nearly went in the top peg. Bannigan's curling shot was ridiculously close, I genuinely thought it was going to hit the net. Great technique from him.

Sinclair - best game in ages. He took on his man really well and powered down the left when he had the chance. Great to see him get a goal, he's got the height to be dangerous from set pieces.

Balatoni was superb yet again. Doolan worked his baws off as ever. O'Donnell's first touch and ability to make space for himself and others by taking two opposing players out the game at the byline was top notch. Great to see Murray back, he'll be key next week as Paton's suspension includes cup competitions. Bannigan had some shift, a mixture of Paton and Welsh's role mixed into one yesterday and a fabulous goal. Forbes's dead ball delivery is superb, so refreshing and exciting now that we're dangerous from set pieces.

Second half we picked it up and, as someone said earlier in the thread it was the type of performance that wins you the league.

Edited by northernsoul

A lot of Livingston's play reminded of us this season. They worked the width of the pitch really well by using their fullbacks/wing backs exactly like we've done this season. Nice passing and they too had similar players like Erskine and Lawless who love getting in behind the opposition midfield and running at the defence.

I don't think we were that bad in the first half. We all know we'll get these sort of games at home when we might not have as much of the ball as we've had before in other games this season. Erskine was unfortunate with his rasper of a shot, which nearly went in the top peg. Bannigan's curling shot was ridiculously close, I genuinely thought it was going to hit the net. Great technique from him.

Sinclair - best game in ages. He took on his man really well and powered down the left when he had the chance. Great to see him get a goal, he's got the height to be dangerous from set pieces.

Balatoni was superb yet again. Doolan worked his baws off as ever. O'Donnell's first touch and ability to make space for himself and others by taking two opposing players out the game at the byline was top notch. Great to see Murray back, he'll be key next week as Paton's suspension includes cup competitions. Bannigan had some shift, a mixture of Paton and Welsh's role mixed into one yesterday and a fabulous goal. Forbes's dead ball delivery is superb, so refreshing and exciting now that we're dangerous from set pieces.

Second half we picked it up and, as someone said earlier in the thread it was the type of performance that wins you the league.

That's a good summary, and reminder of why it's (usually) great entertainment to go and see Thistle this season.

Decent performance, great win. A few players off their usual level of performance. O'Donnell and Erskine had a slow start but got into it. Same with Shug. Doolan worked hard but struggled a bit due to tight marking. Lawless had another stinker, imo. Great player for us this season, but would maybe be benched/rested if we had more options.

Anyway overall happy with that. 7/10 performance. If we played like that last season we would be raving about it. Being a bit critical shows how far we have improved in a short time :)

Forbes's dead ball delivery is superb, so refreshing and exciting now that we're dangerous from set pieces.

Agree particularly with this. I think his set pieces alone could win us two or three games we otherwise wouldn't.

Cairney was great for us, but his corners last season were absolutely stinking. I've no idea why we continued to let him take them. Clipped cross with no power to the back of the box. What a refreshing change this season

Agree particularly with this. I think his set pieces alone could win us two or three games we otherwise wouldn't.

Cairney was great for us, but his corners last season were absolutely stinking. I've no idea why we continued to let him take them. Clipped cross with no power to the back of the box. What a refreshing change this season

Agreed. Balatoni was so close with another bullet header yesterday.

Agreed. Balatoni was so close with another bullet header yesterday.

Conrad's great in the air. Defensively and attacking.

I've always thought he was a good player, with concentration being the real issue. He's really came on to a game at the moment. Possibly even outperforming Muirhead just now.

Forbes's dead ball delivery is superb, so refreshing and exciting now that we're dangerous from set pieces.

Totally bamboozled as to how some people on here dont seem to rate him. His set ball stuff is the equal or better of some of the old jags masters like Chic Charnley, John Craig, John Donnelly etc

I'm days late, agree with the posts. The difference between us and Livi is the totally scary strikefore we have. Balatoni is brilliant, my eyesight is rubbish... was that a clear off the line at one or two points? O'Donnell was a bit off this week for some reason but hey! Earlier in the season my point was our 'first team' is amazing but it seems that we have two first teams. This is a hell of a season, ideally Dunfermilne will get a bad patch... off to read the threads!

Absolutely delighted with the result on Saturday, and has really proven to me just how far we have come in a short space of time.

Last season we'd have never have broken down that Livi back line. But now we just keep plugging away and get our rewards sooner or later.

Forbes has a great free kick delivery on him, and we look a threat to score every time. Our height and strength in the box is something we have lacked in previous seasons so it's refreshing to see us take our chances.

Also, Balatoni has come on leaps and bounds this season. He read the game so well on Saturday, picking up everything! I don't think there is a better back four in the league this season.

Finally it was good to see Smith having a fine game between the posts. A couple of really good saves, and his kicking was much improved from last Friday night.

Bring on the Scottish Cup on Saturday.

Absolutely delighted with the result on Saturday, and has really proven to me just how far we have come in a short space of time.

Last season we'd have never have broken down that Livi back line. But now we just keep plugging away and get our rewards sooner or later.

Forbes has a great free kick delivery on him, and we look a threat to score every time. Our height and strength in the box is something we have lacked in previous seasons so it's refreshing to see us take our chances.

Also, Balatoni has come on leaps and bounds this season. He read the game so well on Saturday, picking up everything! I don't think there is a better back four in the league this season.

Finally it was good to see Smith having a fine game between the posts. A couple of really good saves, and his kicking was much improved from last Friday night.

Bring on the Scottish Cup on Saturd

Excellent result and performance particularly the second half when we showed our class and this was against a decent Livingston side to be fair.Great to watch this season at Firhill keep it up guys.

This was my first game of the season so I may have missed something, but I think that was the most patient Thistle support I have witnessed. The first half hour was pretty slow, and I heard no complaining. It was a little disconcerting. Magical second goal and Erskine's a joy to watch.

Very good point. I'm as "get up the field" as the next man, but finally I've come around to thinking "Why not? Wear them down/bamboozle them.", then I can have a wee look at my Tolstoy novel until something interesting happens.