Pre Match Pint.

distel

I like somewhere with plenty of screens to watch any of the earlier games. The Woodside only seems to show BBC games most of the time although they did show Man U v Reading after the game last week. The best place I found for this is the Rock on Hyndland road although as mentioned in an earlier post its not as close to the ground.

• Like 1

Coopers on Gr Western Rd has lots of tellys and lots of space so no problem seeing the footie on the telly. Not really a gathering place for Jags fans tho, I imagine any pre/post match singing would get you thrown out.

Not any singing but an ever increasing number of Jags fans pre and post match. As stated, is good if you want to watch the saturday lunchtime or evening game.

The Star and Garter and Munns (which apparently is now closed? It was actually the last pub I was in pre-match, before Falkirk in August) are both absolute toilets. I prefer the Belle on Great Western Road, excellent beer, closer to the ground either The Woodside or Crosslands are acceptable.

Harsh. Decent pint, plenty Jags fans, a few hundred yards from the ground and no where near as dingy since it's lick of paint last year. Wouldn't stay too long afterwards but perfectly fine for a quick pint or two before games.

The Star and Garter and Munns (which apparently is now closed? It was actually the last pub I was in pre-match, before Falkirk in August) are both absolute toilets. I prefer the Belle on Great Western Road, excellent beer, closer to the ground either The Woodside or Crosslands are acceptable.

Ha ha check out Lord Rocket!

I hear Claridge's are opening up a new gaff on Garscube Road - maybe you and your mate Abramovich can drop in on your way to the polo?

• Like 1

Ha ha check out Lord Rocket!

I hear Claridge's are opening up a new gaff on Garscube Road - maybe you and your mate Abramovich can drop in on your way to the polo?

I know it's against the forum rules to criticise the Star and Garter, but the original post did begin with 'in your humble opinion', and mine is that the Star is an upholstered men's room. Both Crosslands and the Woodside are close to the ground and a vast improvement.

Great to see the posh west end jags fan stereotype being well and truly upheld on this forum.

Football has been totally gentrified and sanitised amongst many fans.

Me, I prefer boozers with a bit of character, with jags memorabilia on the walls, and proper jags fans at the bar.

Some of the photos that the star have, I bet the club don't even have copies themselves.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info but having been drinking in bars since 1967, owning and running a pub plus also having a further 15+ years or so calling on licensed premises I completely disagree.

It's my opinion. :rolleyes:

You can have all the experience and expertise you want, but if I don't like it i won't drink in it.

Edited by G SUS

Called in at the Star and Garter for the first time before yesterday's game. Good pint of Belhaven Best, the place full of Thistle supporters, and plenty of interesting Jags memorabilia on the walls. Definitely a good atmosphere for a pre-match pint and a place to mingle with Thistle supporters, and only 5 min from Firhill.

The Woody does have Sky / ESPN back and has for a few weeks now. They still never have enough bar staff on and the Tennent's lager is flat as Keira Knightly's décolletage.

I think if I was only going to Firhill for an occasional visit then I'd make a day of it in Byres Rd / West End and get a taxi up.