Just In V Falkirk

Camallain

Back to winning ways! Great result although the score was maybe a bit harsh on Falkirk……….but that’s their problem. Quick out the blocks today with a headed goal in about three minutes from Conrad Balatoni. Falkirk equalised very much against the run of play and yet again down to a refereeing error. Chris Erskine appeared to be fouled near the half way line, the ref failed to penalise the bairns player and 20 seconds later it was all square. Chris however had the last laugh as he headed the Jags back in front a minute later.

Thistle started the second half rather sluggishly and had a major let off when the Falkirk centre forward missed a sitter from close range. Thistle wrapped up the points with two goals in two minutes, Conrad Balatoni drilling home his second of the afternoon put the Jags 3-1 up and then a quite sublime strike from Chris Erskine as he chipped the Falkirk keeper from 20 yards.

Conrad was awarded man of the match and I would have to agree with that. Other stand outs for the Jags were Paul Paton and Sean Welsh however Hugh Murray was awful.

Referee was the same as all the others we get at Firhill……………….abysmal!

Actually thought Murray was ok today, shielded the dfence well, played a couple of excellent lobs over their defence. Sure gave tha ball away a few times but that's Murray

My MOTM was Bannigan, closely followed by Paton. Archie was immense. Hope Lawless ok after GBH by their keeper (for which we were awarded a throw in!! Ref bottled it - would have had to send him off if he'd given us the free kick)

Great to be back on the promition bus

Good win, not a great performance. I thought we were poor at the back, but that was to be expected with a makeshift defence. Going forward we were good though. Erskine's second goal was ******* beautiful, words cannot describe. I thought Bannigan had a game game considering the position he was playing. Erskine was a constant threat, eapecially in the second-half. Everyone else played well apart from Murray. It probably seems as if I have some sort of agenda regarding him, but I just don't see what he brings to the side. Yes, he's experienced but he's also a liabilty and his passing was dreadful.

Great win. The bus is back up and running.

The only negative on today was Lawless. The boy who was doing the holding the speed camera thing at HT and who I think is a youth coach, was sitting a few seats along from me in the second-half and he said that Lawless looks as if he's fractured his jaw. Hopefully not though.

I think I must be the only one who though that McGovern didn't do much wrong? I really hope lawless is OK, but I saw it as a 50/50 where Lawless came off worse, though I'd like to see a replay. Having said that, the referee had horror show, and screwed both teams.

Anyway, that was well worth being frozen to be bone for. We scored 4 goals and would have scored a couple more without some inspired goalkeeping. I think much of the problem with Falkirk is that their entire attack involves getting the ball to Lyle Taylor and letting him do the rest. While he is their standout player (seriously, no-one else even comes close), it's pretty easy to snuff out.

Erskine, Balatoni, Archie and Bannigan all stood out, while Sinclair and Fox were also good. Murray was good in the first half but stood out for the wrong reasons in the second. Like many here, I'm not sure what he adds besides experience.

• Members

Thought the Lawless incident looked 50-50 with the keepr maybe getting there fractionally late and had the incident been in reverse I'd have expected Fox to challenge similarly. Will need to wait for the highlights though to be sure.

Murray had a steady game, unspectacular but steady. Exactly what we've been lacking in recent weeks, allowed those around him to play, particularly Forbes before Lawless got subbed. Thought we lost our way a little after Welsh came on and wasn't surprised to see Forbes and Welsh swapped near the end of the first half because Forbes further up the park just wasn't working for us. Bannigan had a great first half and to my surprise, didn't look out of place at right back, however, Falkirk switched tactics a little bit and started getting more joy in the centre of the park. Jackie made a great change, taking off Murray and putting the more energetic Bannigan into midfield along with Craigen (who had a great 20 minutes when he came on) and Welsh back to full back. Sean still looks short of match fitness. Craigens first contribution to the game was a great through ball for Erskine to score to the 4th and we could have easily gone on to score another couple and Falkirk couldn't really have complained.

No failures today right from Scott Fox in goal and to the management team on the bench.

Agree with the jist of earlier comments, and also agree that the game's fulcrum was the Falkirks forwards open goal miss. That being said, I still thought we were worthy winners and as has been said above we could have scored more.. The important thing for us was to get back on track again. Hope that Lawless's knock isn't too bad, especially since he was having a great game not withstanding that the Falkirk goalkeeper might well have had an early bath. Overall, I'm really pleased with the win and have a wee bit of sympathy for the Falkirk supporters as I don't think they are too far away from having a decent team to follow.

A great and very welcome 3 points ,was delighted Erskine sscored the 2nd goal as the numpties near me were givin him pelters. Cant believe we didnt get a foul when their keeper took out lawless ok it was a 50 50 ball but lawless got it first and then clattered ending up with what looked like a fractured or broken jaw if thats the case he will be out about 6-8 weeks. If the challenge had gone the other way i bet the keeper would have gotten the foul. Balatoni mom for me but a few deserve a mention bannigan welsh pushing him close. Erskines 2nd goal was a feckin peach and worth the admission money alone. Falkirk werent that bad and played some nice football at times but we could so easily have won by a bigger margin. Roll on next week monajags

It's nice to get back to winning ways even though we were unconvincing at times. This game confirmed several things for me: Banzo is a better right back than center midfielder; Forbes is excellent when we're in command but next to useless when we're under the cosh; Conrad is a menace at corners; and Erskine alone is worth the price of admission. I was pleased to see Welsh come on and show a bit of form, despite being stuck out wide later on in the game. And Craigan looked lively and intelligent during his time on the pitch. All-in-all I'm pretty happy.

I agree with most of what has been said. However, I didn't think Murray was bad. I think he ran out of steam and that was why he was subbed - maybe he is only a 60 min player now. Also, I am not getting Bannigan as a right back now. He has no right foot and has to keep checking back, which loses the momentum. He was ok as right back. Welsh was ok there too.

I wasn't sure whether Erskine was fouled before their goal and I was thought that Taylor was offside for the sitter he missed. Archie was my man of the match, although if Erskine had scored his hatrick It would have had to be him. Just as well Jackie didn't listen to the numpty near me who wanted him hooked after about 5 min!

• Like 1

Anti-Murray brigade need to get a grip, he had a dodgy 10 min spell 2nd half but before that was having a good game. Great performance from most but thought Forbes was poor although out of position. Fox in the sticks brings solidity that wasn't there with Smith. Balatoni superb.

Taylor for them was giving Archie a torrid time first half, I know it's pie in the sky but he'd do a great job for us, fit in perfect!

Think I may have been the numpty close to Lenziejag , apologies my friend , but lets be honest , Chris has not been at the top of his game for a while now, he did redeem himself somewhat today but still not convinced that he shouldn't be rested and given a bench role for a few games , agree that the Falkirk No 9 (Lyle Taylor ?) would fit in perfectly with our game plan

It's nice to get back to winning ways even though we were unconvincing at times. This game confirmed several things for me: Banzo is a better right back than center midfielder; Forbes is excellent when we're in command but next to useless when we're under the cosh; Conrad is a menace at corners; and Erskine alone is worth the price of admission. I was pleased to see Welsh come on and show a bit of form, despite being stuck out wide later on in the game. And Craigan looked lively and intelligent during his time on the pitch. All-in-all I'm pretty happy.

I'd have to disagree with the 'unconvincing' part. I wish we were that unconvincing away from home. Also, it seems clear to me that Bannigan is a great footballer, wherever he plays. Forbes is a very good footballer too (lacking in pace) but does have a tendency towards, ahem, simulation I think. To be clear, I do NOT have a scunner on Forbes here - if I had a first touch like that I'd be on Twitter or in Nandos now. Erskine - I hear a lot about unplayable, and at Dumbarton last week I would have 'unplayed' him, but today....the second goal. How does he do that thing that he does? Welsh and Craigan looked good when they came on, particularly pleased with Craigan, who's loan has done him a power of good. Really tidy and technically excellent. And could Murray please get with the program like Archie has? So yeah, generally I'm pretty happy too!

Much better performance than anything over the last month. Controlled large parts of the game although Falkirk came to play a similar style to ours and that definitely helps us. Thought no player had a bad game today , everyone contributed and everyone made some mistakes but hey its SFL1 no one is ever going to be perfect :).

Erskine's goal was the best ive seen in a long long time. Excellent ball from Craigan (who had a really good 20 mins when he came on) and fantastic control with the lob over the keeper. Will take something special to beat that to goal of the season.

Taylor is the best striker in the league by miles and has carried that Falkirk team all year. If it wasnt for him they would be in deep shit at the bottom of the table. If he had signed for us or any of Morton/Dunfermline that team would be miles clear at the top IMO.