When Jackie Takes The United Job

The Legend Blows

My old man reckons its the former in over 60 years of watching football he can only remember Fergie at East Stirling and Stein at Dunfermline having such an amazing early impact at a club that was doing so badly. Not a bad couple of people to follow in the footsteps of .....

Interesting analogy.

Also worth pointing out that Ferguson and Stein both had pretty unremarkable playing careers. Another similarity that Ian Murray shares with them.

There could be a few surprise applications.

How about Mickey Mellon (born in Paisley) who was manager at Fleetwood Town until December? He took Fleetwood into the Football League but was sacked with the club 7th (now 8th) in League 2. Mellon will know our players after the friendlies.

There could be a few surprise applications.

How about Mickey Mellon (born in Paisley) who was manager at Fleetwood Town until December? He took Fleetwood into the Football League but was sacked with the club 7th (now 8th) in League 2. Mellon will know our players after the friendlies.

If he's willing to take a paycut to what he was on there, lol. Still, maybe so, he was sacked!

If people are unimpressed by Hartley's presumed lack of intelligence based on interviews etc, then this guy takes it to another level. I cringed everytime I heard him interviewed, plus he had a lot of cash at fleetwood. No thanks, sounds like a wee ned

I have not heard Mellon being interviewed.

The Board need to be clear in their thinking when making this decision - do they want someone to see us through to until the end of the season and then take it from there or do they want to appoint the long term choice now and will that be a younger person in the Jackie mould or a more experienced guy?

Personally I would like to see us continue down the road we have been going with a younger guy who will adopt more modern approaches to the game then the "usual suspects".

A name I have not seen mentioned is David Weir who is cutting his coaching teeth at the moment with Everton.

Why is shuggie murray being quoted, is it because he is one of the older players in the squad.

He has only played a few games for us, and does not lead on the park

Surely David Rowson knows the club better than Shuggie?

For what its worth my choices would be one of Billy Reid, Owen Coyle, Derek McInnes, Ian Murray, Colin Cameron or Paul Hartley. We probably wont consider any of them but they are my choices.

Really could not be bothered with the likes of Calderwood, Duffy, Chisholm etc

And I think at this stage Archie, Shuggie Murray would be too much of a gamble more so than Jackie was when he was appointed though I do realise he was a bit of a gamble as well. Would be happy with Archie as assistant to any of my choices on the top line but I guess its up to the Manager to appoint who he wants as assistant

I think we need someone in the same mould as Jackie, continuing the same style of football.

Unfortunately I think we have been spoiled in Jackie, not only has he improved through coaching the existing players but he could also spot a player. We can't afford a rebuilding process under a new manager - saying that I think it's too late and trophy is heading down Greenock way.

No to Bollan - the guys a ****

Evans? - or is he under too much influence from the 6 pack above him?

Not sure about Alan Johnstone?

Don't have a clue whos set for the dugout but we need action quickly as we can't afford to fall behind. Big moment for the board.

Ian Murray has been at Dumbarton for five minutes. I'd definitely consider him but what's the point, he's not going to leave them just now.

Was Craig Levein not at Raith Rovers for 5 mins before joining Dundee United.

I was puzzled by someone saying Hartley would be a no because we would have to pay Alloa compensation, surely compensation for Alloa would likely be a lot less than what we get from United

Was Craig Levein not at Raith Rovers for 5 mins before joining Dundee United.

I was puzzled by someone saying Hartley would be a no because we would have to pay Alloa compensation, surely compensation for Alloa would likely be a lot less than what we get from United

We have a history of going for the cheap option.

Going back to posts made earlier, it is important that we keep that same mindset that is at the club just now ie. Youth policy, style of football and one thing i didnt notice being mention but the use of a nutritionist which I believe has made the players fitter and stronger. If we can start our focus by looking for a manager who believes in these sort of things then thats a start! I dont know how busy Maxi is but would it be worth giving him duties that deals with these issues (or is he just in the commercial side).

As for the managers suggested on here, i am not too excited about anyone ( I understand that these probably are the best options out there). Coyle or Mcinnes would be great but doubt that is ever going to happen. I cant stand Hartley, he was overrated as a player and i just dont think he would fit the mould.

• Members
but he could also spot a player.

I'm not so sure it was Jackie that spotted these players. I'd imagine he'd have been made aware of them. Maybe gave the scouts an idea of what he was looking for to fit in with the way he wanted to play, but I reckon it would have been our scouting network that actually spotted the likes of Sinclair and Muirhead.

I think we need someone in the same mould as Jackie, continuing the same style of football.

Unfortunately I think we have been spoiled in Jackie, not only has he improved through coaching the existing players but he could also spot a player. We can't afford a rebuilding process under a new manager - saying that I think it's too late and trophy is heading down Greenock way.

Don't have a clue whos set for the dugout but we need action quickly as we can't afford to fall behind. Big moment for the board.

Aye lets get someone else in who will leave a job half finished that's the way to go ffs :angry3: