Do We Really Aspire To Be Promoted To The Spl.

topcat

I have posted this before on another thread..but even the chance to beat one of the ugly sisters does it for me..that coupled with rekindled rivalries Killie and those fckn Arabs...not to mention brilliant away days at inverness and dingwall....bring it on..we've been pissing about in the first divison far too long....Firhill would be buzzing with the additional away support also

I agree with all of this. I used to feel the same way but I also agree with previous posters comments that we should aspire to be playing at as high a level as possible.

As for the apparent mentality, physique, etc. I see a lot more of that from our players now than at any time over the past few years. They have the skill, they have the physique (just look at pictures of our squad from two years ago and compare with now) and they have a little bit of swagger. Ok, we've not had the same swagger recently, but we're doing the tough stuff that is necessary at this stage of the season and you'll see the decent SPL teams doing the same.

Agree with all of the above - The SPL is the top league in our country and I want my team to be playing its football there no matter what anyone thinks of the league. It might be sh*** in peoples eys but is the first division any better really?! Yes we'll have to pay a few quid more to get into games and might have to sit down at a few more grounds but there will be increases in both the home and away support at Firhill along with better press coverage and an increase in TV money.

If we dont get promoted we could lose up to half a dozen of our regular first team players and end up back at square one and mid table first division obscurity. If we do go up we may only lose a few players, if any atall, and should that happen we'll be able to compete with the others in the SPL. Apart from our Glasgow neighbours we arent that far away from any other team up there in terms of ability and support.

Some new opponents for the first time in a while with good away trips and the buzz when we win against these so called bigger teams.

Yes I think I fancy some of that. Onwards and upwards!!!

• Like 1

If we don't make it to the SPL this year then Erskine, O'Donnell, Bannigan, Balatoni, Muirhead and Lawless will probably be away and we will be a mediocre first division team again.

It's likely that Erskine will move on anyway unless we can match the wages offered by SPL clubs. Bannigan, Balatoni, Muirhead and Lawless are under contract for next season. We can demand substantial transfer fees for them. We would also get compensation if O'Donnell signs for another club.

Talking of cash, what share of the gate for the Ramsden's Cup Final do we get? The television cash should be decent sum too.

Edited by kni

...but the wins will feel great.

too right.

As ThickasThieves suggests: Take a look at Ross County. Many people's favourites for the drop, to get gubbed week in week out,.... they may well be playing in Europe next season!

Can't see us doing as well as County, but the team that goes up hardly ever comes straight back down. Dumfermline did, but the only other team, I think, that did so since the SPL came in was Gretna - and they don't count as they were a kid-on diddy plastic team.

As for "many people", forget that: the shite that passes for football Journos just say that as they don't know the first thing about anything outwith the SPL.

Anyway... bring it on!

It's a no brainer really; bigger crowds, wider exposure for the club, longer cup runs (hopefully), challenge for a European place (particularly the next two seasons), tv highlights and the occasional live tv match. With the positivity around the club just now there has never been a better time to kick on and establish ourselves as a top tier outfit on a permanent basis.

• 2 weeks later...

Think tonight confirms a big YES.

It could be a great couple of seasons to be in the SPL with Sevco not there. Good chance to pick up neutrals/ second team supporters/ new young fans etc.

I'm now more than confident we can do it. Archie clearly took a few weeks to get the players into it (performance wise) but we have hit full cylinders at the perfect time.

• Like 2

If we go up, we'll be one of the best teams in years to get promoted from this league. Yes it will be difficult and yes it might go belly-up, but for every Gretna and Dundee style collapse there's been an ICT, Ross County, St Johnstone etc. If we hold on to a decent core of this team and build on it with a couple of contacts here and there, there's no reason why we shouldn't have a shout at finishing in the top 6.

I'm sick of playing the likes of Cowdenbeath, Airdrie, Falkirk, Morton four times a year and really want to see Jags at the top tier of Scottish football. I know the SPL has it's critics (and I'm one of them) but if we go up and play attractive flowing football, surely we'll have some degree of success against those teams who just knock the ball across the back four and then hit it long.

Plus the club will get more money as well.

And we'll be back on the telly!!

I can't believe anyone wouldn't want us to go up.

The only way we will even have a chance of holding on to our players is by getting promoted. Also, I dont think I could bear to watch those hammer throwers from down the Clyde playing in our rightful place.

This last result has convinced me that WHEN we go up as champions we will remain there for some time to come so long as we continue to play this lovely brand of attacking football not seen at Firhill for many years, going up as Cup winners as well will be the cherry on the top of a fantastic season as a Thisle supporter having been entertained the whole campaign with the best football money can buy anywhere in the UK !!! Lets hear it for The Jags !!!

I dont think the crowds will be up by as much as people think probably Celtic and hibs will bring a fair away support but the rest next to nothing

I remember Hibs brought a dreadfully small away support last time around, in the dozens, not even hundreds. That wasn't long after they'd been in a Hampden final or semi-final with around 30,000 supporters.

We will lose these players. If not this summer then the next after they have been proven at SPL standard. Our best bet is we do have a really good crack at a top six place and can offer players good wages after that. Top six isn't unrealistic in a league much like ours where, outwith Celtic, anyone can beat anyone. I don't believe in "rub of the green" or luck - some players or teams have the capability or knack, for a better word, of getting the right bounces and our team has that ability.

This was Thistle's line up in the SPL in 27/03/2004-

Jamie Langfield

Ian Ross

Grant Murray

Jean Yves Anis

Daniele Chiarini

Kenny Milne

Derek Fleming

Jamie Mitchell

David Rowson

Billy Gibson

Stephane Bonnes

Gerry Britton

Andy Thomson

Some terrible footballers in there.

How many of them would even get into the current squad?

Possibly Gerry Britton, and an outside shout Chiarini and Jamie Mitchell.

That team drew with Hibs by the way.

Bring on the SPL. We have nothing to fear.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Jamie Langfield

Ian Ross

Grant Murray

Jean Yves Anis

Daniele Chiarini

Kenny Milne

Derek Fleming

Jamie Mitchell

David Rowson

Billy Gibson

Stephane Bonnes

Gerry Britton

Andy Thomson

Fleming and Rowson at their peak were very strong players.

A lot of people forget that David carried our team for 2/3 seasons.

Some nonsense players on that list - Billy Gibson and The Broxburn Brawler Ian Ross.

Jamie Langfield

Ian Ross

Grant Murray

Jean Yves Anis

Daniele Chiarini

Kenny Milne

Derek Fleming

Jamie Mitchell

David Rowson

Billy Gibson

Stephane Bonnes

Gerry Britton

Andy Thomson

That's indeed a p*ss poor team. Agreed re Britton and Chiarine. I think Langfield could make the squad. Mitchell, never.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Jean Yves Anis would be a good back up for SOD because he used to play for Chelsea.

Andy Ross > Paul Paton.

Can everyone please respect this excellent fact.