Deal For Dunfermline Fans

ian_mac

Guest fredthecheesecloth

If the idea is just to help them 'limp on' till the end of the season, then it's even worse, given Thistle's self-interest in them doing so.

The whole thing is a complete embarrassment. As others have pointed out, Thistle should not get remotely involved in the payment of Dunfermline's players' wages.

That is one way of looking at it. Not my view though.

I would argue that we are not getting involved in paying their players. We are providing an opportunity for Dunfermline fans (if they so desire) to make a contribution to their own players wages. PTFC have simply provided another clubs fans with an opportunity - that is - saying they will do the cash handover.

I have got to say that if the shoe was on the other foot then this is something I would respect another club for doing. Of course there is an element of looking out for number 1 - we wouldn't have been budgetting for 500 fans/we need these points, but its not a stretching target.

I would much rather see Dunfermline get through this. I don't want them to collapse. Well done to DB/BA and all the rest of them for coming up for this idea that works for everyone.

• Like 1

It is of course very much in Thistle's interest that Dunfermline survive until the end of the season. Dunfermline liquidated = 2 further points behind Morton.

Maybe I'm being overly cynical.

Well spotted Poirot. You'd have thought this would have been acknowledged on the first page of the thread.

Good sleuthing.

Is there a precedent for this? Let's assume Pars players don't get paid for April. The only renumeration they then.receive is effectively from one of their opponent clubs they faced during that wage period.

To repeat I think it's a great gesture and it's certainly correct the money should be ringfenced and not put into a black hole. It is tho' let's say, rather original.

Seems clear to me that this offer from Thistle is unlikely to prove decisive in DAFC's fight for survival.. Nonetheless, it should be applauded as at the very least a gesture of decency, at a time when the "I'm alright Jack" school of moral values seems to hold such sway throughout society. It is disappointing to see so many, even on this forum, setting out to belittle or seeing totally selfish reasons behind this gesture by Thistle..To me it seems that Thistle at least remember the Save The Jags days well ans know the lessons learned then. It is frankly nauseating, not to mention hypocritical to hear some peoples salivating about another football clubs demise.

Seems clear to me that this offer from Thistle is unlikely to prove decisive in DAFC's fight for survival.. Nonetheless, it should be applauded as at the very least a gesture of decency, at a time when the "I'm alright Jack" school of moral values seems to hold such sway throughout society. It is disappointing to see so many, even on this forum, setting out to belittle or seeing totally selfish reasons behind this gesture by Thistle..To me it seems that Thistle at least remember the Save The Jags days well ans know the lessons learned then. It is frankly nauseating, not to mention hypocritical to hear some peoples salivating about another football clubs demise.

Stunning piece of insight there.

It's absolutely irrelevant to Dunfermline's survival.

Thistle are clearly trying to generate a nice wee bit of PR on the back of another club's desperate situation.

An absolutely empty gesture - clearly the club just trying to look good.

Lets not forget that this game could be a title decider. Therefore the crowd could be a lot busier than usual which may out a few hundred or even more onto the gate in both ends. Plus its our last home game of the season. So maybe the Pars will get a bit more out of it.

I dont know about everyone else but I wouldnt have any problems if the Save the Pars buckets were out and raised a bit more dosh for them as well.

Would be interesting to know if there has been much take up of the early ticket arrangement. That might give a guage as to how its being seen by the Pars support.

Roughly how many did they bring through to the 5-1 game. It must have easily been above a 1000

Would be interesting to know if there has been much take up of the early ticket arrangement. That might give a guage as to how its being seen by the Pars support.

Roughly how many did they bring through to the 5-1 game. It must have easily been above a 1000

That was a top of the table clash, remember.

Things have changed remarkably for them since then.

It was only 900.

I think dunfermline dug their own hole. they're £8m in debt due to their own foolishness. Were thistle not talkin about how they needed 50grand or some other total to get thru til the end of last season, yet they throw money away at this profligate spendthrift? Self preservation is what is called for here, not helping some random competitor. I think it will end up just being an empty gesture though, because i don't think they'll make it til the end of the season. Just an attempt by thistle to make themselves look good

All you guys that are being negative about this. Do you think Thistle should have done nothing ? Maybe Thistle are trying to do something for themselves. Apart from potentially losing 9 hard fought points, we could also lose income from what would have probably have been a bumper crowd. If Thistle were still in with a shout for the league, I would have expected 4,000 plus at that game.

• Like 1

Great gesture by the club and well done for doing this.

Anyone seeing alterior motives in this needs a sanity check. As if the sum Dunfermline will receive from this will make the difference between survival or not.

The days of Save The Jags are all too fresh in my memory so I wish the Dunfermline fans all the best and hope they still have a club at the other end of this.

• Like 1

Great gesture by the club and well done for doing this.

Anyone seeing alterior motives in this needs a sanity check. As if the sum Dunfermline will receive from this will make the difference between survival or not.

The days of Save The Jags are all too fresh in my memory so I wish the Dunfermline fans all the best and hope they still have a club at the other end of this.

Er, exactly, so what's the point?

I certainly don't want to see the Pars go under, but there's absolutely nothing Thistle can do.

Indeed. Which isn't the aim, it's clearly stated that the money raised is going straight to players wages not into a fund to save the club. A point that seems to be lost on a few here (and on DAFC net).

I think not - Thistle should quite simply not get involved - however indirectly - in paying Dunfermline players. Leave that to the Players' Union.

So Charlie, what should Thistle do to try to protect our finances. Losing 45k to 60k if Dunfermline can't play at Firhill, plus potentially SPL finances If those extra 2 points we lose make the difference between getting promoted or staying in Div 1.

Jings!

So you think it's all about self-interest?

Thistle's empty gesture will have **** all bearing on whether Dumfermline make it to the end of this season or not. Mind you, I shouldn't have expected any better from a poster who suggested legal action if they don't.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Jings!

So you think it's all about self-interest?

Thistle's empty gesture will have **** all bearing on whether Dumfermline make it to the end of this season or not. Mind you, I shouldn't have expected any better from a poster who suggested legal action if they don't.

I don't agree with you but your bold bit made me snigger.

So Charlie, what should Thistle do to try to protect our finances. Losing 45k to 60k if Dunfermline can't play at Firhill, plus potentially SPL finances If those extra 2 points we lose make the difference between getting promoted or staying in Div 1.

Thistle's 'gesture' is not intended to keep DAFC afloat to the end of the season and thereby 'protect our finances'.

Regarding lost finances, as it stands the only clubs not to have had 2 home games against Dunfermline are Livi, Morton & Thistle. These clubs are in danger of losing out. Thistle being the last Dumbarton away game of the season are at greatest risk. A potential blow for all 3 clubs.

I really hope DAFC survive. Not just 'til the end of the season. Not for the cash. Not for the two points. For the lifelong Dunfermline supporters. The money men who play monopoly with football clubs care nothing the the real heart of the club as they roll the dice.

• Like 1

Charlie, you need to read the posts. I didn't suggest legal action. I just asked why it should be ruled out of hand. Maybe thistle don't do legal action - oh wait a minute!

And you didn't answer the question.

Yes, and the last time Thistle tried legal action it was a roaring success.

Do I think Thistle should have done nothing? I think if Thistle could do something that would be of help we should, but unfortunately there isn't anything we can do.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Dunfermline have 2 home games before the due date for their HMRC payment. Lets assume that Dunfermline fans want their club to survive(at least in the short term) and they attract 8500 to 9000 over the 2 games. That would leave them 10 to 15k short of their amount due. Would/could Thistle offer them the difference ?

Dunfermline have 2 home games before the due date for their HMRC payment. Lets assume that Dunfermline fans want their club to survive(at least in the short term) and they attract 8500 to 9000 over the 2 games. That would leave them 10 to 15k short of their amount due. Would/could Thistle offer them the difference ?

LJ, I think the question you pose ought to be, Would/could/should Thistle offer them the difference?

IMO the answer is No/No/No