Doolan Or Craig?

jagielka

I suppose there's an argument for playing two up front

An interesting viewpoint. I don't think we'd do so well with two up top, as we are a counter attacking team. People say 4-5-1 is a negative formation(which is fundamentally what we play) but we've scored the joint highest goals at home in the UK(according to some Twitter thing).

An interesting viewpoint. I don't think we'd do so well with two up top, as we are a counter attacking team. People say 4-5-1 is a negative formation(which is fundamentally what we play) but we've scored the joint highest goals at home in the UK(according to some Twitter thing).

If ever there was a case for pulling someone up for selective quoting, Mr Sus :o

If ever there was a case for pulling someone up for selective quoting, Mr Sus :o

No, no, no. I know you are a supporter of the current setup.

I was voicing my own opinions on the 2 up front argument. How many teams actually play 2 up front?

Livingston attempted it today, with Russell switching flanks in the first half.

Morton do it, but they play terrible football.

Raith do it, but their strike force mask a lot of their defensive issues.

Do Falkirk do it?

is it about time doolan got the starting nod over craig? theres no doubt craig is ok when the ball drop down to him and he's got the half chance, but his lack of speed/ mobility and lack of front line work rate lets him down i think, and hes a dozy bugger getting caught offside the way he does. thats realy frustrating.. doolan has looked real sharp when he has got on and seems to have just more about him than craig. ie. a better target man and faster/sharper when the ball is over the top. just a thought. thought craigen worked his socks of today, pressure was on as he got bannigan's shirt but well done son. and wee lawless was brill. hes realy playing just now, and its connected to him getting a run in the team and NOT getting sub'ed every game. well done archie.

perhaps it is the late hour, or the quantity of libation, the earlier rumpy pumpy, or just the joy of todays goals and result, but i believe now beyond a shadow of a doubt, we will win this league, and in style. the next nine games are going to be monumental.

oh and i see we now have spawned our very own copycat version of vikington. for every upside theres a downside, hmmmm.

Definitely Craig. Don't understand the notion of Craig being lazy, I think people are thinking this just because of his style of play. He annoys defenders and creates space for others to work. He is also the first person we have had upfront since God knows when who can hold a ball up - crucial to our style of play with wide men playing off the striker. On top of this he gives a physical presence at set pieces (defense and attack). Not forgetting he scores on a regular basis. Dools goal today came when we were cruising to victory. Craig has been getting crucial goals (Erskine has this same knack of scoring goals when they are needed).

Doolan is fine coming off the bench just now, until (if) Craig stops scoring. I think Archie will start Doolan on some midweek games to give Craig a rest in the up coming busy fixture list.

This. Although Kris is looking sharp as well. Just don't play them together Mr Archibald :P

I think that Craig was brought in to give us some strength in depth attacking wise. He came on as sub in his 1st game, when Doolan got injured, and scored 2. Unfortunately for Doolan, SOJ scored on a regular basis and Doolan couldn't get back in the team and when he did come on,it was obvious that he didn't have his usual sharpness. However, Doolan has scored in 2 of his last 3 sub appearances and is starting to look like his old self. For me, either of the 2 of them could start and I would be happy.

They've got different styles ...so whats wrong with that...the main thing is they both score goals...thats the aim of this game ...lets hope they both stay to see this season out!

Don't mean to be cheeky...but where the dickens are they going to go at this point in the season????

Definitely Craig. Don't understand the notion of Craig being lazy, I think people are thinking this just because of his style of play. He annoys defenders and creates space for others to work. He is also the first person we have had upfront since God knows when who can hold a ball up - crucial to our style of play with wide men playing off the striker. On top of this he gives a physical presence at set pieces (defense and attack). Not forgetting he scores on a regular basis. Dools goal today came when we were cruising to victory. Craig has been getting crucial goals (Erskine has this same knack of scoring goals when they are needed).

Doolan is fine coming off the bench just now, until (if) Craig stops scoring. I think Archie will start Doolan on some midweek games to give Craig a rest in the up coming busy fixture list.

Doolan can also work quite well in a similar system. Rather than relying on him to hold the ball up and bring the attacking midfield in, he moved the defense about creating spaces for the attacking midfield to capitalise upon. This means the ball doesn't need to pass though the centre forward and makes us slightly less predictable. Both are good in the air and fairly clinical when they get the ball facing goal.

Doolan can learn from Craig. Why should our central forward work in the spaces that Erskine and Lawless play in. Just stay in the centre and play on the chances they create or tie up a defender to allow the others to exploite the space created. Craig lazy? No. I give you Craig a very clever player.

• Like 1

For me, Craig is miles ahead of Doolan, both have positives that the other doesn't, but to me Craig is the better of the two, in the set up we play.

He's the first striker since Roddy Grant to really out muscle defenders, and the first since Gerry Britton to be an imposing figure defending corners.

Neither should be mentioned in the same breath as Roddy Grant.

Craig's in possession and unfortunately for Doolan doing nothing wrong that would deserve to be dropped.

If Doolan gets the nod due to injury or a dip in form then I'm sure most people would be comfortable with Doolans inclusion.

Edited by Colonel G

I have a soft spot for Dools....I'd be totaly gutted if he left. And although I rate Dools as the more skilful and has more pace....I just cant say that Craig should be left out just now as he is doing the business and. yeah does have more muscle than Dools when it comes to hassling defenders.We are lucky to have both and the rest of the team too. I'm delighted with the team just now as we probably all are. Hopefully, Doolan, Elliot. Craigen and Archie will get a run out over the next few weeks and I dont think any would dissapoint.