Morton On Wednesday

Woodstock Jag

I don't see how Doolan must start when Craig has already shown in games v Morton this season that he is more than capable of scoring. 3 goals in 3 games v them would suggest he's the more likely of the 2 to start the game.

Doolan is the striker on form at the moment and did more yesterday in 25 minutes than Craig did in 65.

Doolan is the striker on form at the moment and did more yesterday in 25 minutes than Craig did in 65.

Likewise Doolan didn't do much at all in the Raith Rovers game last Tuesday when he got to keep the shirt due to being in form. Going by Archie's selections when both are fully fit it would seem he trusts Craig more as his starting striker and his goalscoring record v Morton is too good to ignore.

Plus I think the team tend to look more dangerous for the entire 90mins with Craig starting and Doolan replacing him than the other way around. iin general I think Doolan is more likely to make an impact against tired legs from the bench than Craig.

• Like 2

Likewise Doolan didn't do much at all in the Raith Rovers game last Tuesday when he got to keep the shirt due to being in form. Going by Archie's selections when both are fully fit it would seem he trusts Craig more as his starting striker and his goalscoring record v Morton is too good to ignore.

Plus I think the team tend to look more dangerous for the entire 90mins with Craig starting and Doolan replacing him than the other way around. iin general I think Doolan is more likely to make an impact against tired legs from the bench than Craig.

Fair enough.

I understand the players are tired and need a break but this is the most important game of the season.

Far bigger than yesterday's and one we can't afford to lose.

There's no fog due. Is anyone an electrician and can cut the power to Firhill on Wednesday night?

I think Archie will go with SoJ from the start, and Forbes will have played himself into the starting XI after yesterday; Forbes is as fresh as a daisy from missing out recently, and that has to be a factor. SoJ was off form yesterday, but will be the big, physical presence that we need from the start against them. Then there's his record against them thus far.

I've said it before, but it's critical that we finish with eleven men against this shower for the first time. If that horrible wee stat was reversed, we'd be champions now.

Mon Thistle, we truly believe.

PS What's the plan for dealing with Hardie, since Paul Paton isn't an option?

I think Archie will go with SoJ from the start, and Forbes will have played himself into the starting XI after yesterday; Forbes is as fresh as a daisy from missing out recently, and that has to be a factor. SoJ was off form yesterday, but will be the big, physical presence that we need from the start against them. Then there's his record against them thus far.

I've said it before, but it's critical that we finish with eleven men against this shower for the first time. If that horrible wee stat was reversed, we'd be champions now.

Mon Thistle, we truly believe.

PS What's the plan for dealing with Hardie, since Paul Paton isn't an option?

Craig wasn't the big physical presence we needed yesterday, he didn't win 1 header all game & generally looked disinterested.

The way to beat Morton is to pass it round them, quick passes & running at their defence. Their defenders want to be going up for headers, not having Erskine/Doolan/Lawless running at them or in behind them.

Hardie, get someone to snap him early on, he'll get an injury if that happens.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

• Members

I reckon Steveie Craig was played yesterday with one eye on the Morton game. Hasn't played for a couple of weeks and is the best option to play against the Morton defenders imo. Dools coming on after SC is burst to run them ragged till the end hopefully.

Not sure about starting Forbes. We'll need plenty of energy in the middle and Forbes likes the slower pace. Thought the pace of the game yesterday had dropped to a pace that suited him perfectly then his class shone out. I'd be tempted to go for Murray again if he was fit. He had Bachirou in his pocket last time out before his stupid sending off. We can't allow Morton to dominate the middle of the park.

McMillan Tweeting that he's in his sickbed so must be doubtful for Wednesday.

Not sure what the social media policy is but Paton supposedly tweeting that he's out the game, McMillan saying he's ill (although Archie has also put that on the official site), surely that helps the opposition plan for the game?

I'd say heehaw to any sort of media outlet if I was the manager & I had players injured & I'd be telling my players to do the same.

---------------------------Fox-----------------------

O'Donnell-------Dowie--------Balatoni------Sinclair

--------Bannigan------Welsh--------Forbes---

--------Lawless-------Doolan----------Erskine--

If Mcmillan isnt fit id go with the above. Unsure whether to start craig or doolan though. As much as forbes mabey doesnt have the pace I think his crosses and corner kicks coukd be vital for us.

Craig wasn't the big physical presence we needed yesterday, he didn't win 1 header all game & generally looked disinterested.

The way to beat Morton is to pass it round them, quick passes & running at their defence. Their defenders want to be going up for headers, not having Erskine/Doolan/Lawless running at them or in behind them.

Fair points there, 1JL. I should've pointed out that I'm no fan of the 'long high balls to Craig' tactics we saw yesterday. I'm referring more to the scrappy, in-the-box stuff we've seen so far against them this season, inc the short set pieces where Craig has been a total pain in the arse to them, especially when Forbes has been in possession at close quarters.

If we can get our passing game going against them, involving the pass and go runs of Erskine and Lawless, then that will be a huge bonus, but Morton will set up to stifle that from the off, I'm pretty sure.

Forbes's lack of physical industry can be more than compensated for by him being able to pinpoint a Thistle forward in a good position from either set pieces or in motion.

Like everybody else, it'll be heart in mouth for the entire build-up to Wednesday for me. Just hope Archie and Shaggy can come up with a plan B if we find ourselves struggling for the first hour.

And for the last time, no more red cards, please!

Not sure what the social media policy is but Paton supposedly tweeting that he's out the game, McMillan saying he's ill (although Archie has also put that on the official site), surely that helps the opposition plan for the game?

I'd say heehaw to any sort of media outlet if I was the manager & I had players injured & I'd be telling my players to do the same.

I think it's good the players use twitter as long as they don't hit out at fans, the club or come out with any OF pish.

I think it's good the players use twitter as long as they don't hit out at fans, the club or come out with any OF pish.

Agree, just wondered what the policy is on stating their injury status on twitter is. Opposition clubs players & management must have a look for any info on player availablility.

Agree, just wondered what the policy is on stating their injury status on twitter is. Opposition clubs players & management must have a look for any info on player availablility.

I know that McNamara had a policy on what could be written after Nandosgate but Archie maybe doesn't care. I don't know if injuries ever came into it.

I would suggest that anyone with a Twitter account tweets the players good luck for the game and let them know that we will be fully behind them.

Doolan must start. Forbes as well. Craigen was shocking yesterday,

I am still raging about the game. I have lost a lot of faith in the team. Utterly pathetic from start to finish.

Only Fox, Doolan and Forbes get pass marks.

Is that what is meant by take one game at a time?

Right, let's dust ourselves down. The players are clearly dead on their feet just now and will be as gutted as we are about the events of today if not more so. We can still make this a season to remember if we give them the kind of support we did today.

I think we need to rest a couple of players to try and keep them fresh for this run-in. I'd be tempted to give both Dowie and McMillan a start against Morton, given we'll have to move about our defence anyway. I'd be tempted to line-up:

Fox

McMillan Dowie Balatoni Sinclair

Paton Bannigan

Forbes Erskine Lawless

Doolan

Subs: Daniels, O'Donnell, Welsh, Craigen/Elliott, Craig

Elliot is fresh and has shown promise off the bench several games in a row now. I think O'Donnell needs a rest mentally as he's gone a bit off the boil. Doolan showed again that he deserves to start and Craig would be a better option from the bench. Bannigan has bust a gut and a half for us this year, and I think if we give him a bit of a rest but look to introduce him after an hour or so he could cause some damage.

Thoughts?

I've edited your line up to what I would think about playing. I'd happily put Murray in for Paton should he not be fit enough. At the weekend we struggled to control the midfield and having Paton/Murray beside Bannigan would really help break Morton's attacks up. We need Forbes in for his deliveries and look for Doolan to get on the end, and Balatoni too at set pieces. Best thing about the goal on Sunday was that Forbes didn't have to look up, he just knew he had to put the ball into a dangerous area and Doolan knew he had to be there.

Strangely, if I didn't go with Murray I'm not sure I'd put him on the bench, as Welsh and Craigen offer different things that might be useful during the game if anything needs changed. I agree about Elliot, in fact it was him, Doolan and Forbes together that made us a threat on Sunday which we hadn't been at all while none of them were on the park. I just don't know if I'd rather have him in than Craigen.

I'd agree with that, too late now obviously, but would have thought hiding injury doubts or players definitely out would be sensible, why give opposition headsup and able to plan their tactics easier? Especially in games against our nearest challengers and at such important point in season.

Again, agree with this too 1JL.

• Like 1

McMillan's out too? Jeezo. No real choice but to play SOD.

If Elliot, Bannigan, McMillan and Paton are out we've not really got much choices:

Fox

O'Donnell Dowie Balatoni Sinclair

Welsh Forbes

Lawless Erskine

Doolan

Subs: Daniels, Murray, McGuigan, Craig, A.N. Other.

A.N. Other is probably Archie.

Big Conrads latest tweet

Just want to say thanks for the messages of support! Brush ourselves down today and now focus on Wednesday! Really looking forward to it!

Get intae em big man!!

CB: possibly heading toward Player of the Year. I'm afraid Aaron M has nutted himself out of the running.