Favourite Memory Of The Lambie Era

LambieIsGod

What a fantastic night. A great result, an amazing crowd, and now just a couple of results away from winning the league. And to top it all off, we get The Return of the King, Sir John Lambie. It was great to see him back at Firhill and the cracking memories from those grand ol' heady days came flooding back. I thought I would start a thread to get some fans favourite memories from Lambie's time in charge. I have two. First one. We were getting thrashed by Aberdeen at home, 3-0 down at half time thanks to a Duncan Shearer hat trick. We were getting trounced big time. Towards the end of the 1st half, the heavens opened and it snowed like nothing I have seen before. Our sole groundsman came on the pitch with a broom which he tried to use to clear the lines of snow, however he only managed 10 yards before the brush snapped in two and he slowly walked off the pitch. Seconds later, the announcer informed us the game was abandoned and the result void. We then replayed the game and won it!! Only the Jags. The second one, is plain and simple. Going to France to see the mighty Jags in Europe against Metz in the Intertoto Cup. What a night! What an era.

What a fantastic night. A great result, an amazing crowd, and now just a couple of results away from winning the league. And to top it all off, we get The Return of the King, Sir John Lambie. It was great to see him back at Firhill and the cracking memories from those grand ol' heady days came flooding back. I thought I would start a thread to get some fans favourite memories from Lambie's time in charge. I have two. First one. We were getting thrashed by Aberdeen at home, 3-0 down at half time thanks to a Duncan Shearer hat trick. We were getting trounced big time. Towards the end of the 1st half, the heavens opened and it snowed like nothing I have seen before. Our sole groundsman came on the pitch with a broom which he tried to use to clear the lines of snow, however he only managed 10 yards before the brush snapped in two and he slowly walked off the pitch. Seconds later, the announcer informed us the game was abandoned and the result void. We then replayed the game and won it!! Only the Jags. The second one, is plain and simple. Going to France to see the mighty Jags in Europe against Metz in the Intertoto Cup. What a night! What an era.

Pretty sure we lost the rearranged Aberdeen game at Firhill. 7-0 or 7-1! Might be mistaken...

I agree with you - great days.

However, that Aberdeen game was not as you remember it.

I can't be sure, but I thought we were only 2 - 0 down when the snow came down.

I remember the dodgy brush, but it didn't snap - it was just that the head kept falling off the shaft.

I can recall being soooo relieved that the game was called off and assumed that we'd beat them in the re-run.

However, we lost that game either 5-0 or 7-0, so it wasn't the glorious recovery you remember.

• Like 1

I was at both of they Dons matches and we got a right royal humping form a pissed off Aberdeen side. Will always love Lambie. When we had the Livi supporters bus on the go during that period he came out to the 'doos' (call it that to temt him) we arranged. He never refused it, and as long has he had a regular supply of the good stuff coming his way he was a happy camper. Always told you everything straight down the line and genuinly grew to love the club and supporters.

Delighted his health is back on track and he made the final and the last Cowdenbeath game. Remember when we had yon march from George Sq years ago (It's at the very start of Grasping The Thistle and I'm the guy in the famous red/yellow/black wooly jumper with the kilt on) and were singing outside the ground and he came over to the wee windae and gave his appreciation by slugging some whisky and offering it out.

I remember a must win relegation game v. Killie

Albert Craig scored a late winner and ran off in front of the Killie fans in the North End to celebrate.

A ball boy stood in front of him arms aloft looking like he expected an embrace but The Ghost didn't see him and flattened him and didn't even stop running and winding up the Killie fans- hilarious

I remember a must win relegation game v. Killie

Albert Craig scored a late winner and ran off in front of the Killie fans in the North End to celebrate.

A ball boy stood in front of him arms aloft looking like he expected an embrace but The Ghost didn't see him and flattened him and didn't even stop running and winding up the Killie fans- hilarious

I remember that - what a hoot.

It was 7-0, was at both games. However the Aberdeen supporters club were nice enough to dig very deep in their pockets and find enough coppers to buy and present us with a new broom at the replay. Raised a chuckle in the shed.

Favourite moments, in no order.

Think it was mainly from the 91-92 season first off.

Run in to promotion, coming from behind to beat Kilmarnock in a midweek game,

Beating Dundee (league leaders) 2-0 in front of nearly 10,000 a few days later. The second coming with a few mins left and the utter jubilation that followed.

The unbearable nerve wracking 0-0 draw in the last game to gain promotion and explosion of joy and pitch invasion that followed.

In the SPHell.

the 3-0 against the (deceased) Rangers.

Needing a draw at Parkhead to secure survival, 1-0 down and looking hopeless we equalise with 2 mins left only for it to be dissallowed, heartbreak and gloating tims.Then Geordie Shaw scores in injury time, I don't remember ever jumping around like a loon more than that goal. Kinda had to be there.

Random moments of Shed excellence.

This seemed to happen against Motherwell at lot.

Losing to Motherwell, some person deprived of verticality in the Motherwell end is being particularly vocal despite his diminutive stature. It is noticed by us that he somewhat resembles Wee Burney from Rab C Nesbitt.

At this time, the actor from said programme has revealed that he was fiddled with in the past, also at this time there was a terracing rumour associated with player from the defunct Rangers allegedly fiddling with people that shouldn't be fiddled. Long story short, the shed chant along the line of (names altered to prevent lawyer intervention) Gichard Rough shags Wee Burney, erupted. The best part was when the Motherwell fans joined in.

Again against Motherwell.

This was not long after Ravenscraig shut down, Motherwell was even more depressed than it is now. We were losing. As usual in such circumstances we were being taunted by the away support. Randomly through the home crowd stormed a home fan toward the fence. Unusually this chap was dressed immacutely in grey pinstripe 3 piece suit, also unsually he was clutching severall thousands of pounds in crisp notes in his hand which he brandished at the Motherwell fans with the words, "See that? That's money ya B*********! Sign on ya F.........."

Cue bedlam in the shed.

Edited by kji7

Needing a draw at Parkhead to secure survival, 1-0 down and looking hopeless we equalise with 2 mins left only for it to be dissallowed, heartbreak and gloating tims.Then Geordie Shaw scores in injury time, I don't remember ever jumping around like a loon more than that goal. Kinda had to be there.

It was Tam Smith that scored both goals. I was in Buffalo, NY listening to the BBC World Service and couldn't believe it. I thought we were safe then the "equaliser" was chalked off. Then it happened again for real (and in an almost identical move when I subsequently saw it). I was "yess-yess-yess"ing to myself....... like a true sad case, stuck in a country where no-one I knew could even understand it if they were there to watch my performance! That was the same day that Everton had a very dodgy 3-2 win against Wimbledon which ended up in a significant investigation. The goals conceded by Wimbledon looked even more dodgy than the decision to deny our first.

Beating St Mirren 3-1 in a FA Cup replay, the season after they won the cup, was my first great Lambie memory :D

At risk of pedantry - the season after St Mirren won the Cup they were beaten 3-0 by Clydebank in Paisley - it was the next season that we beat them 3-1 after a 0-0 at Firhill. :detective:

At risk of pedantry - the season after St Mirren won the Cup they were beaten 3-0 by Clydebank in Paisley - it was the next season that we beat them 3-1 after a 0-0 at Firhill. :detective:

Good point, Skunks won the cup in 86/87 and the cup win was in 88/89? At least they got a warning when the Red and Yellow Belgians of Mechelen put them out of the ECWC on the way to winning it :D

Some great memories there and chuffed to be reminded of them. One thing that stands out for me was the season we were bottom of the SPL and detached by the end of December. No team had been in that position before and survived. But the run we went on after that to stay up included some of the greatest games under Lambie. I especially remember a mid-week game against Hearts (back when they were quite a good team) which resulted in a terrific victory after which I thought, we can really do this.