Team Vs. Airdrie

ThickAsThieves

Will Archie pull on the shirt again before the end of the season? Perhaps not against Airdrie but once (hopefully) the title is wrapped up?

I think we would all agree that this would probably have been his last season even if he had only remained as a player - and the SPL would definitely be too much.

But it would be good to give him a proper send-off on the pitch - the Dunfermline game?

Was thinking just the same thing. At least one half of the final home game would be brilliant. And if that was announced beforehand then I'm sure that a good few more punters would go along.

I'd love Archie to get a game if we have it sewn up with games to spare, however I think we owe it to Dowie to give him the chance to market himself if Archie feels he isn't going to be retained. Especially after his reported performance the other night. He could come in for Balatoni I suppose though.

Actually, scrap that. Let's play a backline of O'Donnell Shaggy Archie and Sinclair in the Dunfy game should we be Champions by then.

Edited by twinny
  • Like 1

I'd love Archie to get a game if we have it sewn up with games to spare, however I think we owe it to Dowie to give him the chance to market himself if Archie feels he isn't going to be retained. Especially after his reported performance the other night. He could come in for Balatoni I suppose though.

Yes, Balatoni is a nightmare.

(Runs for cover.)

I don't think we'll see Archie pull on the jersey again, unless he needs to due to injury. He doesn't strike me as the type who will take any glory away from the other players or deprive another player the chance to get on the pitch instead of him getting 5mins of glory.

I suppose if the coaching staff & players were to tell him to do it, he might, otherwise I don't think he will. He had the chance to give himself some game time when coasting it against Livi (when he hadn't played in weeks & we were short at the back, would have made sense to give himself 20mins) but he brought on Forbes instead.

Edited by 1 John Lambie
  • Like 1

If it's wrapped up for the Dunfermline match, I'd like to see him bring himself on for the last few minutes to soak up the applause. And he wouldn't be depriving anyone really since Muirhead would still be out.

:thumbsup2:

I'd love him to do it, just don't think he will. He'd be depriving McGuigan or a youngster who may get the chance to come on, I think he should do it if the title is wrapped up but I don't think he will.

Forbes has been brilliant last 2 games. The cup final when he came on he show composure which what we were missing and done it again on Wednesday night. I also think that settled the other 3 seeing him with time on the ball and make passes plus his set pieces are the best we have.

Would be happy to see the same side but if erskine is tired then maybe play lawless instead.

Dolan should be fresh and he has been excellent the last month.

Sod should start, he hasn't been great last few games but made some good tackles on Wednesday. Would have only rested/dropped him if McMillan was fit and even then would still have been a tough call.

Just one final point. Craigan is by no means the finished article but the performances the guy has put in have been brilliant. He works hard and is good with the ball. Delighted that he got the goal on Wednesday and believe he can only keep improving as a player.

Forbes has been brilliant last 2 games. The cup final when he came on he show composure which what we were missing and done it again on Wednesday night. I also think that settled the other 3 seeing him with time on the ball and make passes plus his set pieces are the best we have.

Would be happy to see the same side but if erskine is tired then maybe play lawless instead.

Dolan should be fresh and he has been excellent the last month.

Sod should start, he hasn't been great last few games but made some good tackles on Wednesday. Would have only rested/dropped him if McMillan was fit and even then would still have been a tough call.

Just one final point. Craigan is by no means the finished article but the performances the guy has put in have been brilliant. He works hard and is good with the ball. Delighted that he got the goal on Wednesday and believe he can only keep improving as a player.

Dolan R.I.P.

Really don't think this will be as easy a game as some people are making out on other threads.

Let's not forget that in our last 2 matches against this team we have struggled to break them down. In both cases we relied on Mr Erskine to bail us out of the shit. They had worked out how to play against us, only a small number of teams have been able to do that this season. Yes they got humped during the week but that was a game they probably thought they could win and most likely went out to attack early on. They definitely won't do that tomorrow.

We need to go in to this game with the right attitude. The players and Archie are saying all the right things so I'm not really worried but all the same, the job needs to be done.

Would take another 1-0 right now.

Agreed. Erskine has scored our first (and on two occasions only) goal against them in the 3 matches this season so I'd be playing him. Maybe swap Craig in for Doolan or bring Lawless back in for one of the midfielders but I wouldn't be for a massive amount of tinkering. We need 8 points (ok, 7 realistically) so let's get them ASAP.

I agree we absolutely must do whatever it takes to secure the 3 points at Airdrie. There is a wee bit of breathing space there by starting Forbes again, who is relatively fresh and well rested recently. SoJ should be considered to give Doolan a breather, whether that be he replaces him after an hour, with half an eye on next Tuesday v Raith Rovers. Lawless should start too, although I'd have Elliott on the bench as he's not that close to being in our best XI, and as I said the very first priority on Saturday is to win whatever it takes; that will allow us to consider the luxury of properly resting one or two over the remaining games after RR at home.

For the team's sake, I'd obviously want the title to be wrapped up as soon as possible; but for totally selfish reasons, I wouldn't mind us doing it at Falkirk as I'll be there. I still remember when we won it last time round, I had to choose one game between Airdrie or St Mirren. I went for Airdrie, where we drew, and we ended up winning it at Love St. I was as jealous as a very jealous thing at not being there.

Provided we do go on to win it, and wherever and whenever that might be, I am so immensely proud of this Thistle team and of Alan Archibald for what they've delivered for us, and completely bursting with pride at being a lifelong Partick Thistle supporter. As they say / sing: Who TF is McNamara??

How lucky have we been with us seemingly instead of the usual losing a decent manager and geting a duff one we seem to have had three decent managers in a row (and you could argue each one better - or at least having more of what was needed for the situation in hand - than the previous one)?

I've banged on about this a few times. Since it can't go on for ever I hope my instincts about Archie - that he has the makings of a very good manager - are right and that he stays in charge for a good while to come.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Is there such a thing as a decent pub in Airdrie?

Usual partner in crime looking doubtful so the bird is coming instead. Can it be possible to find something edible in a pub in Airdrie i.e. not reconstituted horse served on a platter of brown salad with a whiff of pish in the air?

For the team's sake, I'd obviously want the title to be wrapped up as soon as possible; but for totally selfish reasons, I wouldn't mind us doing it at Falkirk as I'll be there. I still remember when we won it last time round, I had to choose one game between Airdrie or St Mirren. I went for Airdrie, where we drew, and we ended up winning it at Love St. I was as jealous as a very jealous thing at not being there.

I was at both games in 2002 and I've now got everything sorted work-wise that means I'll be at every game (Dumbarton ticket dependent) 'til the end of the season. :tongue2:

I'd like to win it against Raith Rovers as it's the first opportunity to do so (results tomorrow depending) so that we have a party on Tuesday night and then another knees up on the 27th against Dunfermline when we receive the trophy. Two bumper crowds to boost the coffers.

Edited by H Wragg

Actually, scrap that. Let's play a backline of O'Donnell Shaggy Archie and Sinclair in the Dunfy game should we be Champions by then.

Why not go the whole hog and play Lambie Maxwell Paterson Archie, with Chico in midfield and Gerry B up front?

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'd agrue that Forbes and to a lesser extent Doolan should be the most fresh players in the squad as they've not played anywhere near as many minutes as the rest of them in the last few weeks.

Agreed....am I the only one that thinks Ross had a great game on Wednesday? After his brilliant cameo appearance on Sunday. I will be disappointed if he is dropped on Saturday!

Agreed....am I the only one that thinks Ross had a great game on Wednesday? After his brilliant cameo appearance on Sunday. I will be disappointed if he is dropped on Saturday!

I mentioned in another thread that he's looked really up for it in these two games. Working much harder than he sometimes has done.

I mentioned in another thread that he's looked really up for it in these two games. Working much harder than he sometimes has done.

Sorry Jagger (and Zephod) I didnt read page 2 of this thread...lol. Forbes has been brilliant in the last two games and certainly doesnt deserve to be dropped. Brings a bit of class and composure to our midfield. We have Banzo and Sean to do all the donkey work. and let Ross weave his magic!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

If I was Forbes (and I'm not) I'd be disappointed if I was dropped after two great performances. Added a bit of composure to the midfield and always a threat with that left peg of his.

He might be dropped with Tuesday in mind, given his fitness issues.

Is it not that time of year when players have to start thinking about a new contract ( not sure when Forbes deal runs out while typing this ) ?

Is that a factor perhaps or the sudden realisation that he could be playing SPL next season ?

Who knows all the answers but he is an amazing player to watch when in the mood. If only he was in the mood more often he would be playin with Messi ( I know ! )

Play our strongest team:

Fox

O'Donnell - Dowie - Balatoni - Sinclair

Bannigan - Welsh - Forbes

Craigen - Erskine

Doolan

I expect we'll play Craigen although I'd probably prefer Lawless; he looked hungry when he came on. Start the game right, be comfortable by half time, then take anyone off that needs a rest. Expect and hope that we'll be hungry tomorrow as the finishing line is in sight. Need to get the 3 points to cement our position. Mon the Jags.

Edited by simoncordiner