Squad Building For Next Season

Dark Passenger

We'll need a good few signings to be able to compete in the SPL next season.

We need a b*stard in the team now that Paton's departure has been confirmed and, for me, there's only one man for the job - Dougie Imrie. He would fill the position Erskine currently plays and would add some dig in the middle of the pitch. Not sure how keen Archie would be to sign him however after their incident at Hamilton a few seasons back. Would also like Stewart Murdoch from Falkirk.

I think it's a stick-on that we've signed Graham. He gave Archie a torrid time in the 3-2 win at Firhill and I'm sure he's not forgotten - possibly the best performance I've seen from an opposing player this season. I'm not too sold on whether he's capable of the step up or whether he would fit in with our squad but he knows where the goal is. Also remain unconvinced that it isn't actually Greig Spence who is Raith's main man.

I'd be enquiring about Blair Alston, Jonny Tuffey and QP's left back, Andy Robertson who looks like he could develop into a very decent player.

• Members

You could have asked Jonny last night. he was sitting directly behind me. He spent some time chatting away to Tommy Taylor and was overheard to say he would love to be back at Firhill. Not sure how happy he would be understudying to Foxy right enough. I reckon he was very badly advised when he left us.

please not Imrie... He's scored 2 goals in 18 months at st mirren i think... st mirren brought in goncalves, who whilst scoring goals, his only assett is being able to run fast in a straight line with the ball... thats it, thats what's keeping imrie out the team!

imrie will leave in the summer, but i wouldn't be happy if he came here.

Ziggy Gordon at Hamilton, i'd be looking at.

Harkins has an option in his contract if dundee are relegated this season he can leave.

i'd be looking to get mcmillan and dowie signed up. with the addition of a left sided defender we'd be pretty solid there.

Would we try for wee Cairney, back on loan for a season, as he doesnt seem to be in the picture at Hibs

I wouldn't say he's out the picture. He's been out of the starting eleven for a while but returned to start their semi-final. He's made the transition from starter to squad player in recent weeks but he'll still be at Hibs next season.

I would prefer to see us speak to May before Graham. Although I'd also prefer to speak to Doolan first...

A couple of hungry players from main-land Europe would be nice. Players in Greece and Spain even Cyprus are struggling for wages. A year in the SPL may appeal to some up and coming foreign stars?

Think we only used 24 players this season including loans? We will need to add 8 or 10 players to the first team squad I think.

I wouldn't say he's out the picture. He's been out of the starting eleven for a while but returned to start their semi-final. He's made the transition from starter to squad player in recent weeks but he'll still be at Hibs next season.

I would prefer to see us speak to May before Graham. Although I'd also prefer to speak to Doolan first...

We should definitely be going some lengths to keep Doolan. I don't get the impression that there's the same enthusiasm for Craig for next season. He does give the impression of laziness and not trying to jump, and gets caught offside, but in the box he can pounce and score. Worth a place in the squad, I'd say.

Stevie May, out of contract, 20 years old, he has also scored 5 more league goals this season than Graham, playing in a poorer team. Only 2 less than Taylor, and everyone seems to think that Taylor will end up at a top end league 1 or Championship side down south.

May is worth consideration - player with point to prove, settle a few scores with those who doubted him, and be a success in SPL. We must keep Doolan though. Think he will be a revelation in SPL if given the service.

please not Imrie... He's scored 2 goals in 18 months at st mirren i think... st mirren brought in goncalves, who whilst scoring goals, his only assett is being able to run fast in a straight line with the ball... thats it, thats what's keeping imrie out the team!

imrie will leave in the summer, but i wouldn't be happy if he came here.

Ziggy Gordon at Hamilton, i'd be looking at.

Harkins has an option in his contract if dundee are relegated this season he can leave.

i'd be looking to get mcmillan and dowie signed up. with the addition of a left sided defender we'd be pretty solid there.

Definitely steer clear of Imrie. Gordon at Hamilton too could be good shout if available/out of contract. Harkins likewise, but only if he is going to turn up in every game, and not just one in four (at least with Erskine, if he had a bad game, it wasn't for lack of trying, or him hiding). Keep Dowie and McMillan if we can.

If at all possible we should be trying to get Bannigan, Muirhead and Balatoni on longer deals. I feel there could be a lot of money to be made on Bannigan in particular. Or he'll let his contract run out and sign for Dundee Utd.

We should be offering two year deals to most of our squad, whether because they are either out of contract, or as a contract extension. Contracts should be increased wage for SPL next season, and a 10% rise if still in SPL 2014/15, or if we are relegated next season, then a return to current SFL wage +10%. Added clauses should be two-tier minimum release clauses, where if we are in SPL, player can leave for x amount, or if relegated then x minus a percentage. Protect the club, reward the player.

Am I alone by being underwhelmed by the prospect (or rumour) that we might see Gary Harkins back at Firhill? Turned into a bit of a journeyman at Killie, and in fact got punted. Haven't noticed any rave reviews about him at Dundee. Yesterday's man.

Killie fan in my work would take Harkins back, he says the problem is with Shields not Harkins , the fans loved him

It's all very well thinking about good First Division players, but I would imagine every SPL club already has the best earmarked, or on those lovely PCA (but some are better-kept secrets than others).

I think we'll need a good few experienced SPL bruisers to come in to help with the grind. Yes, last night was an end-of-the season game and I understand the players are knackered, but Raith could easily have been three up before we even started. I don't really want to get pumped 10-0 off of everyone next season. Nor do I want to play eight at the back all season ... I don't know if Archie will be able to bring in the right mix. I hope he is!

Seems to work well enough for Aaron Sinclair and Gareth Bale.

• Like 1

I think we could already have a replacement for Paton. Hugh Murray is perhaps the only player we have with much experience of the SPL, and overlooking his moments of insanity at Greenock this season, any time he has been called on I reckon he's been solid. I predict he'll have an important role to play for us next season.

• Like 2