Stevie Lawless

Maestro

Just read Stevie's comments in today's paper with regards to the fans chanting about Jackie McNamara about being disrespectful towards him I know that there's a lot of bad feeling amongst folk with regards to the way his move to Dundee United and the money due to the club but I'm sure the club will do everything within there power to get what were due so just wondering what the thoughts are with other supporters on Stevies comment

Leaving us halfway through the season, engineering a way out of his contract, taking players to Dungdee Utd, owing us tens of thousands which there hasn't been a sign of being paid. I think there is some disrespect here but it's not coming from our fans

• Like 1

Just read Stevie's comments in today's paper with regards to the fans chanting about Jackie McNamara about being disrespectful towards him I know that there's a lot of bad feeling amongst folk with regards to the way his move to Dundee United and the money due to the club but I'm sure the club will do everything within there power to get what were due so just wondering what the thoughts are with other supporters on Stevies comment

Which paper before we decide if it was an accurate quote or bits lifted & words rearranged!?

I'm sure Lawless is grateful for McNamara taking a punt on him after leaving Motherwell & I think the vast majority of people - both supporters & those in the inner workings of the club- are more disappointed in the way he left than the fact that he did leave.

Beattie even alluded to that in his comments about Paton & Erskine moving on & wishing them well even if he was disappointed at the club they had chosen to go to.

At the end of the day, McNamara & Donnelly signed new contracts which were to benefit them (more money) & the club if/when they left (money). The club gave them permission to talk to DU, they chose to go. It's the bit inbetween!

If it is proved in court, if it gets that far though its looking likely that it will knowing DU's track record (I know it's JM we're suing for breach of contract but assumption is the advice being given by DU club lawyers), then the truth will come out in the wash & not reflect well on DU or JM whatever the outcome!

If contracts are proved worthless then it could well open up another Bosman type rule except for managers. That would hit a lot of clubs financially also. Examples this season include Hughes & Pressley, who I'm reliably informed, rejected DU after they agreed terms with him but couldn't agree a financial settlement with Falkirk.

The fans have been described as the 'Twelth Man' by players this season. The thing is players (like managers) come & go, supporters are always there. We've had years of watching rubbish. There was a real sense of optimism this season & JM looked as though he was there for foreseeable future with his new contract & comments given at the time.

When he went, we were going through a bit of a sticky spell especially away from home & it looked to the fans (to me certainly) that he was bailing out whilst stock high & also that the league had gone for another year.

I think the fans are entitled to sing what they sing about McNamara. It's hardly abusive & at the end of the day we did this -despite him.

If Stevie has alluded directly to the fans chanting & saying it was wrong then he should be more careful with his thoughts in future- my opinion.

• Like 1

Why does Lawless care? If there was no personal abuse aimed at McNamara then I don't think it is unjustified.

Lawless is obviously a Rangers supporter and their fans sing much, much worse. I'd like to see what his take on that is.

I don't think we would have been promoted under McNamara so I can only assume that Lawless is looking for a move in the future.

Why does Lawless care? If there was no personal abuse aimed at McNamara then I don't think it is unjustified.

Lawless is obviously a Rangers supporter and their fans sing much, much worse. I'd like to see what his take on that is.

I don't think we would have been promoted under McNamara so I can only assume that Lawless is looking for a move in the future.

He cares cos jackie was the 1 that took a chance on him. How does that make him a rangers fan and how can you assume he is looking for a move.

Ps. If he's going to move it will be to a bigger team than dundee utd.

Edited by Auld Yin

He cares cos jackie was the 1 that took a chance on him. How does that make him a rangers fan and how can you assume he is looking for a move.

Ps. If he's going to move it will be to a bigger team than dundee utd.

You can tell he is a Rangers fan from his Twitter account.

He could have said "That is part of football".

think this has been took out of context a bit its only stated in 1 newspaper the rest havent mentioned it.

it's quite clear to me that stevie has really enjoyed being at thistle this season and it was mcnamara who signed him. he has had a great season imo and is no doubt on the radar of many clubs ( im sure there were tons of scouts watching thistle this season ).we know the way mcnamara left and the financial stuff has left a bad taste but no matter whether we like it or not mcnamara did start the ball rolling this year even archie was quoted in a newspaper saying the same before the ramsdens final so i think its a bit harsh on stevie to be getting singled out here when i m sure other players in the team probably think the same. i also dont know why it would matter what team he supports because to me he alway seems to be trying his best when in a thistle shirt and i doubt there are many teams worldwide with 11 supporters .playing for them

p.s. please excuse the grammer i m doing this on ma phone.

• Like 2

Lawless is probably very grateful to McNamara for signing him, so its understandable. I have no gripe with McNamara other than the compo. It was our chairman that (officially) let the cat out the bag however the fact that the picture surfaced a few hours later left a sour taste and to be fair the players should have steered well clear of that. Players in the last 6 months of their contracts are allowed to sign for other clubs, so McNamara has done nothing wrong in that respect. We shouldnt forget what McNamara did for the club, but the fact that we have two jags legends in charge now and doing better than McNamara, means we should forget all about him.......until he returns to Firhill next season!!!

• Like 1

Eh, McNamara simply continued the good work already begun by Ian McCall. And it's a serious question if we would have won the league if he had continued - his away record wasn't exactly stellar and his 'two subs' routine was predictable in the extreme. In hindsight he'll regret leaving more than we ever will. He'll get fun oot at Tannadice - whereas if he'd stayed with us he would be in a better chance of taking his dream job at the shoogly hook of Parkhead ... seeing as rumours are flying now about greetin' faced Lennon.

He was probably just asked about the fans turning on McNamara and said a kind word about his previous boss. I've not seen the quotes but you've got to take this sort of stuff with a pinch of salt - he's not going to say anything negative about McNamara.

Exactly.

The player was brought to the Club by McNamara and that club goes on to win promotion back to the division that the player came from. Hardly likely to be anything but grateful to McNamara.

One minute we're complaining about lack of publicity this season's heroics have received. Next minute complaining when we do finally get some press.Can't win.

btw... Half expecting a certain poster on here to suggest all player & staff public utterances are first cleared thru the PTFC PR dept. :)

McNamara did a great job and brought in some good players so they will feel that they owe him. I was not happy that he left as I feared for our results but Archie and Shaggy have done better than he could in the 2nd part of the season so I don't care about him leaving anymore. The money aspect I hope it gets sorted out pronto. He was a manager for a short period and now he has gone. Thistle continue and I he does not deserve any songs to be sung about him positive or negative. We move on with a new management team.

• Like 3

Eh, McNamara simply continued the good work already begun by Ian McCall. And it's a serious question if we would have won the league if he had continued - his away record wasn't exactly stellar and his 'two subs' routine was predictable in the extreme. In hindsight he'll regret leaving more than we ever will. He'll get fun oot at Tannadice - whereas if he'd stayed with us he would be in a better chance of taking his dream job at the shoogly hook of Parkhead ... seeing as rumours are flying now about greetin' faced Lennon.

Yes and I have given McCall credit in plenty of other threads and at no point in any thread have I said that we would have won the league under McNamara. Every one of the last three managers at Firhill have done very good jobs considering the state we were in under "The Bunnett"

It was Bill Leckie in the Sun that said the song was disrespectful...

"So, just to remind them, he's the manager who put your club in the position to push on over the line and return to the big time. A bit of respect wouldn't go amiss".

Who the F*** is Bill Leckie ?????

Edited by P-T-118

You can tell he is a Rangers fan from his Twitter account.

He could have said "That is part of football".

So can you actually quote Steven saying what he has been accused of? The only paper with anything resembling the accusations is the sun and it doesn't come from Steven.

Maybe wae fans like yourself,that make ludicrous accusations like ( trying to get a move) you should think before you jump on the band wagon. Cos things like this leave a sour taste in players mouths, especially 2 days after lifting the league title.

• Like 1

Who the F*** is Bill Leckie ?????

He's the bloke who went up Kilimanjaro with McNamara, Donnelly and Jackson (among others) for the Phil O'Donnell charity a year or so back.

So think Chic Young and Gerry Collins and you probably have the relationship sussed.

Mcnamara's friend/publicist/mouthpiece...I guess

He's the bloke who went up Kilimanjaro with McNamara, Donnelly and Jackson (among others) for the Phil O'Donnell charity a year or so back.

So think Chic Young and Gerry Collins and you probably have the relationship sussed.

Cotopaxi actually and the "amongst others" included Archie.

Cotopaxi is volcanic but in all its millions of years existence it's never spouted as much dross as Mssrs Leckie & Dung can throw up in one week

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Good point. Shame he didn't fall off :P