Are We Getting A Dvd Of Last Season?

ColinKelvin

Game of opinions is it not gents?

While my original post may have been strongly worded, I just can't look past the season ticket balls up (how many times did the prices change), the fact it has all gone a little quiet on TAG, and the fact we have nothing on a DVD.

We need a bigger commercial team. That is obvious. And we need to get better at proper efficient commercial process.

I'd agree with this, not having a dig at anyone as i would imagine there is only so much you can do as the only paid head with a couple of volunteers helping when they can.

But half the battle of surviving as an SPL team is running your business like a professional club, and that is impossible to to do with the infrastrure we have.

look at whats happenned, and whats still to take place: secure trackside/programme sponsors for next season, build the hospitality package and sell bulk packages for tables.

all whilst dealing with player contracts, insurance etc.

added onto that, the day to day running of the office, arranging transport, accomodation and facilities for the squad for pre season.

jesus the list is endless... whilst the signing of big names get all the headlines, we as a fan base, probably take an unhealthy interest in the back office/boardroom goings on at our club (probably because of save the jags, the jags trust rep etc) an interest that very few other fans of other clubs have....

Game of opinions is it not gents?

While my original post may have been strongly worded, I just can't look past the season ticket balls up (how many times did the prices change), the fact it has all gone a little quiet on TAG, and the fact we have nothing on a DVD.

We need a bigger commercial team. That is obvious. And we need to get better at proper efficient commercial process.

The prices changed once due to there being an error, this was quickly noticed and corrected. There was a stage when there was an error or pr disaster coming out of the club as often as we were getting victories, this is no longer the case & the BoD plus Ian Maxwell must take credit for that.

I'd agree with this, not having a dig at anyone as i would imagine there is only so much you can do as the only paid head with a couple of volunteers helping when they can.

But half the battle of surviving as an SPL team is running your business like a professional club, and that is impossible to to do with the infrastrure we have.

look at whats happenned, and whats still to take place: secure trackside/programme sponsors for next season, build the hospitality package and sell bulk packages for tables.

all whilst dealing with player contracts, insurance etc.

added onto that, the day to day running of the office, arranging transport, accomodation and facilities for the squad for pre season.

jesus the list is endless... whilst the signing of big names get all the headlines, we as a fan base, probably take an unhealthy interest in the back office/boardroom goings on at our club (probably because of save the jags, the jags trust rep etc) an interest that very few other fans of other clubs have....

Agree with almost everything. Except that I don't think the interest is unhealthy (well okay, it maybe is for the fans). But look at what's happened at clubs where the fans take less interest.

• 2 weeks later...

It's nearly 6 weeks since the season ended now. People would have bought these in droves in May. Maybe they still will, but I am starting to wonder if there are any plans at all. The club should surely put an advance announcement out if it is going to happen. If it's not, then why not???

• 3 weeks later...

So still nothing on the DVD front.

Doubt this will happen now, considering that Maxi is on holiday and the club is currently being administered by 2 volunteers on summer break from college.

What a massive open goal we've missed here. How much work would have been involved in getting a short run of 1,000 DVDs done? Maybe half a days work for one person?

More people asking about this on the facebook group today. The demand is clearly there from the fans. I know that many people have got in touch with the club inquiring about it.

Why have we not taken on extra staff? Especially considering that we've lost our PR manager. Matchday volunteers are great but when it comes to the office you need appropriately trained admin staff. We should be able to afford this now we have moved up a level.

Why isn't it happening?

Its ridiculous when you consider St Mirren had a double DVD on sale within 7 days of their league cup win, 1 DVD the full match, the other DVD a behind the scene look at the match build up and aftermath. all for £10.

The fact that our office, is being run by 2 volunteers whilst we prepare for SPFL football just demonstrates the level of club we are... you can dress it up with the success on the pitch, past victories and delusions of sleeping giants and what used to be... but behind the scenes, the engine room, we are a toy town club!

What a massive open goal we've missed here. How much work would have been involved in getting a short run of 1,000 DVDs done? Maybe half a days work for one person?

The demand is clearly there from the fans. I know that many people have got in touch with the club inquiring about it.

Its ridiculous when you consider St Mirren had a double DVD on sale within 7 days of their league cup win, 1 DVD the full match, the other DVD a behind the scene look at the match build up and aftermath. all for £10.

in a brewery, organise piss up, we couldn't.

hmmm. lost a lot of potential income Master Beattie & Co has. how embarrassing. how embarrassing.

To be fair to the board, you need to consider the lost income from one-off opportunities such as this, and the ongoing additional cost of having a better staffed office that could take advantage of these opportunities as and when they arise. It's a balancing act.

I'd love a DVD but if it needed us adding £20k cost to the budget every year to make these incremental things a possibility then that may have meant we couldn't sign, say, McMillan and Dowie last season. Or Craig. So we wouldn't have a DVD-worthy season to worry about.

To be fair to the board, you need to consider the lost income from one-off opportunities such as this, and the ongoing additional cost of having a better staffed office that could take advantage of these opportunities as and when they arise. It's a balancing act.

I'd love a DVD but if it needed us adding £20k cost to the budget every year to make these incremental things a possibility then that may have meant we couldn't sign, say, McMillan and Dowie last season. Or Craig. So we wouldn't have a DVD-worthy season to worry about.

20k to produce a DVD? Where are you plucking that figure from?

Just spoke to another guy who has been sponsoring players for a few years now. He's been trying to contact the club to continue this for the new season but has been totally ignored thus far.

If you get one or two decent members of staff on board, their wages pay for themselves and then some.

To say that we can't get staff in because they would cost money, is about as short sighted as you can get without being Stevie Wonder.

20k to produce a DVD? Where are you plucking that figure from?

Just spoke to another guy who has been sponsoring players for a few years now. He's been trying to contact the club to continue this for the new season but has been totally ignored thus far.

If you get one or two decent members of staff on board, their wages pay for themselves and then some.

To say that we can't get staff in because they would cost money, is about as short sighted as you can get without being Stevie Wonder.

I'm not disagreeing with you, especially on the sponsorship issue - that's poor. My point was that if you need to hire an office worker all year (roughly £20k) in order to maximise opportunities with various things (of which DVD would be only one) you need to ensure that these additional income lines generate at least enough profit to cover the £20k salary. Hence it's a balancing act.

I want the club to be run a bit more commercially, and I think we should be able to afford that now that we're in the top league - however I understand why it hasn't happened thus far and, while disappointed on the DVD issue, am willing to cut the club a little slack on it.

Anyone coming in to that sort of role would probably know fine well that in order to have any long term prospects they would need to prove that they are worth what the club is spending on them. Everyone knows how tight finances are across the board in Scottish Football.

Get the right candidates in and they would pay for themselves. I can accept that this may have been a gamble last year, but we still took on a full time PR manager didn't we?

It's surely much less of a gamble this season considering we are in the SPL. In fact, it's not even a gamble at all, it's a necessity.

I'm not disagreeing with you, especially on the sponsorship issue - that's poor. My point was that if you need to hire an office worker all year (roughly £20k) in order to maximise opportunities with various things (of which DVD would be only one) you need to ensure that these additional income lines generate at least enough profit to cover the £20k salary. Hence it's a balancing act.

I want the club to be run a bit more commercially, and I think we should be able to afford that now that we're in the top league - however I understand why it hasn't happened thus far and, while disappointed on the DVD issue, am willing to cut the club a little slack on it.

The other side of the coin could be that say dvd is sold a tenner a shot, at a guess the club could sell 3000 that would be £30,000 in. That is of course just guessing on my part

By hiring someone who knows what they're doing, they could have a.) negotiated a deal with a shirt manufacturer who isn't completely duff, and b.) produced a DVD of last season. Those two things would have already paid for his salary in full. I'm sure a job offer which included a small basic salary, plus sliding scale incentives for generating increasing amounts of money, would have many worthy applicants.

Edited by peagreenboy

I think maybe Michelle Evans leaving has had a bigger impact then we all realise.

As said, the DVD would've been a winner with regulars & nomads alike bringing in good money.

The shirt sponsorship not being up & running a concern also.

You would've thought that someone with experience would've been brought in externally to do this from one of the directors companies just until the club was able to bring someone in.

The club really does need to be more proactive and innovative when opportunities such as this arise. If you want to keep costs low why not contact one of the media departments in one of the local universities? They are screaming out for opportunities to offer their students work experience (or as it's now known 'employability skills'). And I know they would do a bang up job, as when our union (I work at GCU) organised a day of presentations and debates relating to International Woman's Day we paid a group of honours students to do the editing and narration. The end product was fantastic.

This is just off the top of my head, obviously, and this opportunity has now passed. The point is that we need a team that is more proactive on this front and can think outside of the box.

The club really does need to be more proactive and innovative when opportunities such as this arise. If you want to keep costs low why not contact one of the media departments in one of the local universities? They are screaming out for opportunities to offer their students work experience (or as it's now known 'employability skills'). And I know they would do a bang up job, as when our union (I work at GCU) organised a day of presentations and debates relating to International Woman's Day we paid a group of honours students to do the editing and narration. The end product was fantastic.

This is just off the top of my head, obviously, and this opportunity has now passed. The point is that we need a team that is more proactive on this front and can think outside of the box.

That's a good shout. I think the sales momentum will be dropping off somewhat by now. Imo the best alternative would be to have the DVD available pre Xmas. The Club could sell it either on its own or as part of some sales package. The optimum time to sell the DVD was naturally now during the closed season. Selling it during the season is rather muddling but if that's what has to be done then around Xmas is the only reasonable time.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett