July 26Th

jaggy

Maybe I've missed something, but we don't have a fixture that day. Is here maybe a surprise home friendly lined up? It would seem odd to have the weekend off before the season starts

The 27th is free at the moment but I presume they are waiting to see how the new pitch is before they try to arrange a home friendly?

The 27th is free at the moment but I presume they are waiting to see how the new pitch is before they try to arrange a home friendly?

That's probable.

After watching the game today I kinda feel we're still 3 friendlies away from being ready. Still using trialists and more evidently to come. We've no prior Challenge Cup or League Cup games either so I'd fully expect a game on the 27th when we'll no doubt mostly field players expected to start against United. Playing on the same surface we're kicking off the league on makes so much sense. I don't think we'd miss up on that unless the pitch isn't ready.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

As somebody has also mentioned - they'll also want to test the new ticketing/admission system. And to test all entrances, they'll probably want a team that'll bring a decent away support.

Think a lot of things have still to fall into place. Pitch ready, damaged areas of stadium repaired, stadium upgrades completed, new season tickets arrived and distributed, players signed - just off the top of my head.

Do we have time?

Exotic. Can't see there being a big away support. Probably more Thistle fans in Limassol on holiday than any Cypriots in Glagow.

Than again in times gone by. Where have you gone, Reo Stakis, Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.

Ah, pineapple slices on top of your gammon steaks and "garni" ie watercress with everything.

Played Le Havre @ Firhill around 1998 and got cuffed 0-3 or 0-4.

I was at that game, cheap hospitality and frogs legs and the like on offer! Think we also played Sheffield Wed (or similar - someone like Steve Bruce was Gaffer?) and it was a double programme!

I was at that game, cheap hospitality and frogs legs and the like on offer! Think we also played Sheffield Wed (or similar - someone like Steve Bruce was Gaffer?) and it was a double programme!

There was a noisy pre-match parade of people wearing French clothes, playing French instruments and waving French things. It was all quite fun until the football started and we realised that our hopes for the season were pinned to the likes of Willie Callaghan and Dave Kennedy. Nul points!

Was in Golden Thistle Club at the time, and my memory is of a really 'toe curling' talk give to us before the game by one of the directors warning us that Le Havre was a class outfit with whom the likes of us couldn't hope to compete. He was right - but it was an insight into how low the club's sights were set at the time. The Le Havre team was good but by no means top flight - I think they are back in the lower divisions of the French league now. There is no doubt we have come a long way since those days.