Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

I don't think any of the trialists on show on Tuesday have anything to prove from a fitness point of view. We're running into the time when friendlies are more about our signed players gelling. Getting ready for the real thing in other words. With that in mind I wouldn't be surprised if it's one or two of the Tuesday night trialists are signed up. The Fraser loan deal tho' is a good shout.

• Like 1

Hopefully a new contract for Lawless and Welsh.

Regarding Fraser being signed up, apparently he has being training with us for the last few weeks.

I hope Archie is not going to rush into signing any of the trialists after one game though.

Take the French lad Big dave for instance apparently great against Livi but there must be a reason why Gateshead did not gamble would rather Archie played these lads in the 3 permitted games to make a decision.

Hemmings can be judged excellent or rubbish on one game either.

Hope he's continuing to monitor the situation with guys like Carey, on trial with Dundee United but not been offered a contract as of yet and others who have played in the SPL and are available.

Anyway clearly looks like now there was never anything to the Derek Riordan rumour

Edited by Third Lanark

Said on this thread a couple of weeks ago to trust the management team to bring in the right players & not to panic as early stages of pre season etc.

Now we're 2 weeks away from the season starting, had a lot of trialists in & out with just Mark Kerr signing.

On the Arbroath thread I saw the name of the boy playing centre half for us on Saturday so did the obvious thing & googled him.

One of the articles that came up is in The Sun:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/5027344/Arls-wild-about-Jags.html

Now, I have complete faith in the management team to spot a player & potential in someone but I feel we're now struggling to bring in a certain standard of player by looking at a boy, who by his own admission, hasn't played for 6 months & is nowhere near fit!!

The club aren't rolling in money but personally I feel we're now scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Personally I think the management team have been let down by BoD. I'm not advocating we go & spend silly money on a player but if our only signings to strengthen from tail end of last season to start this are a couple of young boys for the U20s & Mark Kerr then something wrong.

That's not to say we won't bring in anyone this week but time is running out for start of season & with Hearts in a bad way with points deduction, us getting off to flyer is a must.

Hope I'm wrong about the above but becoming more pessimistic by the day.

Edited by Trotter

I am really dismayed by our transfer activity.

When we were told that Archie knocked back Paton's wage demands because he said we could get better for less money, I was optimistic but now I really fear that the budget given to us is making us unable to compete with clubs at the bottom end of the SPL.

Now, I have complete faith in the management team to spot a player & potential in someone but I feel we're now struggling to bring in a certain standard of player by looking at a boy, who by his own admission, hasn't played for 6 months & is nowhere near fit!!

The club aren't rolling in money but personally I feel we're now scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Personally I think the management team have been let down by BoD. I'm not advocating we go & spend silly money on a player but if our only signings to strengthen from tail end of last season to start this are a couple of young boys for the U20s & Mark Kerr then something wrong.

The board have doubled the wage budget from last year.

Yes a lot of players have been given new improved contracts, but i can't believe every player has had their wages doubled.... ergo, there's money still to be spent.

Calm down... :thumbsup:

I am really dismayed by our transfer activity.

When we were told that Archie knocked back Paton's wage demands because he said we could get better for less money, I was optimistic but now I really fear that the budget given to us is making us unable to compete with clubs at the bottom end of the SPL.

Or on a positive note, previously folk were worried that we'd go up and have our squad dismantled in the process and have to completely rebuild.

when in actual fact the vast majority have stayed, with us only needing to directly replace Paton, Erskine and Craig.

I'd love to see how many of the folk 6 months ago were telling us that our squad was better than the lower SPL teams... are now worried that we aren't good enough to stay up.

• Like 1

Said on this thread a couple of weeks ago to trust the management team to bring in the right players & not to panic as early stages of pre season etc.

Now we're 2 weeks away from the season starting, had a lot of trialists in & out with just Mark Kerr signing.

On the Arbroath thread I saw the name of the boy playing centre half for us on Saturday so did the obvious thing & googled him.

http://www.thescotti...about-Jags.html

That's not to say we won't bring in anyone this week but time is running out for start of season & with Hearts in a bad way with points deduction, us getting off to flyer is a must.

I reckon we have spent a good part of the budget giving new contracts to our existing players like SOD so there isn't much left for new ones.

FWIW I think this is exactly the type of guy we should be looking at. He has potential to be very good, he wants to do well and get his career back on track and we get him for next to nothing.

The fitness thing won't be a problem after a few weeks training.

http://www.thescotti...about-Jags.html

It is far from ideal that we still have several players to bring in so close to the start of the season but I feel we already have a strong starting 11.

Don’t see how you can blame the board, they have doubled Archie’s budget. Beattie has effectively set the player budget over the last few years so don’t think we need to worry in that department. We need to make sure we don’t go back to losing money each year.

Edited by Alan Murray

Or on a positive note, previously folk were worried that we'd go up and have our squad dismantled in the process and have to completely rebuild.

when in actual fact the vast majority have stayed, with us only needing to directly replace Paton, Erskine and Craig.

I'd love to see how many of the folk 6 months ago were telling us that our squad was better than the lower SPL teams... are now worried that we aren't good enough to stay up.

Fair point re keeping hold of existing players.

However, we let go of Dowie because we were told we could do better, similar with Craig and as yet, haven't replaced them. I don't see Baird as a Craig replacement as he's a different kind of forward player. The fact that we have a revolving door of trialists who come and go in the blink of an eye doesn't fill me with confidence.

I trust Archie & Shaggy 100%, I feel that given the increase in income and TV revenue, we aren't giving him as good a chance to compete as I'd like.

For the record, I'm not advocating spending stupid money or risking the future of the club in any way.

• Like 1

I reckon we have spent a good part of the budget giving new contracts to our existing players like SOD so there isn't much left for new ones.

FWIW I think this is exactly the type of guy we should be looking at. He has potential to be very good, he wants to do well and get his career back on track and we get him for next to nothing.

The fitness thing won't be a problem after a few weeks training.

Wouldn't disagree with the contracts bit but from the end of last season we've lost Dowie, Craig, Erskine & Paton (Archie as well if looking at 1st team squad). Then Scully & McGuigan out on loan.

We have monies coming in from SPL & TV deals. We also got our cash from DU for previous management team.

We've brought in Gallacher (Hincliffe replacement), Baird, McDaid, Mukendi & Kerr.

We have U20 fixtures to fulfil which I'm sure will be made up of U18s never mind U20s!

We're at least 2 players light at the moment I reckon. It's the time factor to the start of the season which is starting to be the worry.

Lastminute.com territory.

I certainly wasn't one of them.

You only need to look at Dundee last season.

Went up at last minute, unable to strengthen for SPL & more or less down by Xmas.

Their biggest win last season? A cup game v Morton 5-1.

There is a big gulf between SPL & 1st Div. The players are capable of making the step up I'm sure but it's just the thinness of the squad at this point which is my concern.

Wouldn't disagree with the contracts bit but from the end of last season we've lost Dowie, Craig, Erskine & Paton (Archie as well if looking at 1st team squad). Then Scully & McGuigan out on loan.

We have monies coming in from SPL & TV deals. We also got our cash from DU for previous management team.

We've brought in Gallacher (Hincliffe replacement), Baird, McDaid, Mukendi & Kerr.

We have U20 fixtures to fulfil which I'm sure will be made up of U18s never mind U20s!

We're at least 2 players light at the moment I reckon. It's the time factor to the start of the season which is starting to be the worry.

Lastminute.com territory.

Patterson said we are looking to bring in 6 to 7 players and we have only brought in Mukensdi and Kerr since he said that.

I agree completely with GranTB and Trotter and am concerned as well.

Okay we have signed some players now so we are stuck with them.

I dont think anyone should judge Henoc on one game and I would be annoyed if he was given a hard time. Given his age he can play for the under 20's team and would be surprised if he had been brought in as a definite for the first team, may be jsut to ensure he gets game time with the under 20's.

However when I seem some of the other trialists we have liek Kane Hemmings I do wonder. When I see his stats has he even played that much regular football over the last few years, I am not clear if he is even a proven first divison players never mind SPL. Now while I would love to have seen us try and sign Lyle Taylor from Falkirk even I relaise realistically this was never going to happen, but there are some proven young players at least first divison level certainly more than Hemmings anyway who surely we could be seriously looking at signing McNulty from Livingston, Wallace from East End Park that surely would not break the bank, even for goodness sake Imrie who has ended up at Morton. Agreed some of these guys may be gambles but surely not as big a gamble as some of the lads we are trialing. Instead we dont even look to be reaching this level and feel at times we almost have the mentality that we are looking too much at options that I would expect from a mid table first divison team not a team in the SPL who has been given a boost which we should be trying to make the most of with Hearts being deducted those points. Signing someone like McNulty potentially could be a player who ents us a couple of hundred thousand in the next couple of years I cant say the same about Kane Hemmings.

Definetly think we could do with some big signing news such as Lawless and Welsh on new contracts

• Like 1

I certainly wasn't one of them.

You only need to look at Dundee last season.

Went up at last minute, unable to strengthen for SPL & more or less down by Xmas.

Their biggest win last season? A cup game v Morton 5-1.

There is a big gulf between SPL & 1st Div. The players are capable of making the step up I'm sure but it's just the thinness of the squad at this point which is my concern.

Dundee's relegation was more to do with Barry Smith being a complete moron than them having bad players.

John Brown nearly kept them up and form suggests he probably would have given 6 or 7 more games.