Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

Too hard to come up with a definitive answer. John Lambie, SAF or Jock Stein weren't great players but were fantastic managers at their level.

Moyes and Laudrup have had very good seasons in the EPL but were polls apart on the playing front.

Ozzie Ardilles was a great player but his emphasis on flair led to crazy, if entertaining, results.

From a Thistle perspective Archie actually made us more conservative in our approach but that proved very successful. I enjoyed the football under Snakey Mac, but AA made us more effective and most importantly led us to the title :D

I knew this is exactly what people would say, hence the brackets at the end of my post.

Ideally youngsters should be taught the beautiful side of the game but they also need to understand tactics and self and team discipline to be effective, Lionel Messi aside ;)

Incidentally, Brian Graham now rumoured to be heading to...

wait for it...

Tannadice.

No surprise there. It was stated about two months ago that it was between us and them and there is no doubt they will offer him better terms. I have said it plenty of times we should go for Rory McAllister ( big striker, cheap, out of contract, proven goalscorer albeit in lower divisions)

No surprise there. It was stated about two months ago that it was between us and them and there is no doubt they will offer him better terms. I have said it plenty of times we should go for Rory McAllister ( big striker, cheap, out of contract, proven goalscorer albeit in lower divisions)

Rory McAllister turned down Aberdeen, his home club, and other SPL clubs to continue his apprenticeship and is now a plumber. Why should he suddenly want to abandon his chosen profession and move to Glasgow to earn less money with us?

Im sure the utd fans will be happy with their 'all new first division team' next season!

The Arabs playing budget has been slashed so perhaps that is all they can afford. There is also the compensation issue too...

Rory McAllister turned down Aberdeen, his home club, and other SPL clubs to continue his apprenticeship and is now a plumber. Why should he suddenly want to abandon his chosen profession and move to Glasgow to earn less money with us?

You dont get anywhere if you dont ask!!

I've never seen McAllister play apart from maybe a telly game. I have heard it said on more than one occasion he's best as a one up striker, presumably his link up play is suspect. I wouldn't know if that's the type striker we're looking for.

I believe McAllister wanted to get his plumbing accreditations hence why he's still in the North East. Unlike kni I don't know that would be a hindrance as with that out the way he may want to play full time football higher up the leagues. Whether he would be interested in uprooting to Glasgow is another matter.

The Arabs playing budget has been slashed so perhaps that is all they can afford. There is also the compensation issue too...

McNamara given praise on the radio for giving SFL players the chance to "step up" to the SPL next season. Obviously Thistle playing in the same league isn't quite the same as the shining beacon that is Tannadice ...

Whos to say hes not a natural coach? Did many people think of Archie as a Thistle boss?

The idea that Hardie is nothing but a big hard guy is wrong IMO. He would never have got the number of goals he got if there wasn't more to his game - a lot of them were about timing his runs into the box just right.

Also I remember when he first came to us and fans were still arguing about whether he'd be any good to us, I remember opining that he showed great awareness on the field knowing when to move forward and when to hold and cover for other players. There's always been more to his game than a lot of fans notice.

• Like 1

He wasn't ready to go full time as he wanted to finish his apprenticeship as a plumber. Now he has, and has this as a back up job, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a crack at full time football. Big step up but wouldn't be against us signing him.

No more talk about McAllister from me....he is quoted in todays Sunday Mail as having just signed a new 2 year deal with Peterhead!

Too hard to come up with a definitive answer. John Lambie, SAF or Jock Stein weren't great players but were fantastic managers at their level.

I wish people would stop this canonisation of John Lambie.

He was a manager who used the Jags when it suited him (left us for Hamilton and Falkirk), and the facts prove that he was completely out of his depth in the top Scottish division.

To mention him in the same sentence as Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson does not stand up to scrutiny.

I wish people would stop this canonisation of John Lambie.

He was a manager who used the Jags when it suited him (left us for Hamilton and Falkirk), and the facts prove that he was completely out of his depth in the top Scottish division.

To mention him in the same sentence as Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson does not stand up to scrutiny.

You are completely correct re the highlighted bit but what facts are you using to back up that he was totally out his depth in the SPL????

• Like 1

[/b]

You are completely correct re the highlighted bit but what facts are you using to back up that he was totally out his depth in the SPL????

Our record with him as manager in the top division.

In his last season (2002- 2003??) he chucked it at New Year as I recall, and left it to Gerry Collins to run the season out.

In his last season (2002- 2003??) he chucked it at New Year as I recall, and left it to Gerry Collins to run the season out.

100% incorrect. Check your facts before making wild statements.

Edit: that's also not even that long ago, I'm shocked any jags fan could get that statement so wildly wrong. Lambie kept us comfortably in the SPL on a tiny budget before retiring.

Edited by Mediocre Pundit

What about 3 seasons in the top league in the 90's? Did you forget about them?