Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

Which thread is this, the one where we need a concrete source to a player we're linked with or the one where we post whatever we feel like? I'm assuming that with nineteen pages it is the latter.

Injury prone but decent player Jamie Adams has been released by St Johnstone.

It seems that Archie is keeping his cards close to his chest. I doubt that much information will leak out in the near future. There's nothing wrong with highlighting players who are available, especially ex-Jags with SPL experience.

Which thread is this, the one where we need a concrete source to a player we're linked with or the one where we post whatever we feel like? I'm assuming that with nineteen pages it is the latter.

Injury prone but decent player Jamie Adams has been released by St Johnstone.

Not saying he isn't a decent player but I thought Adams was horrific for us when he was here on loan.

• Like 1

Did Geggan play on the right wing for Dunfermline when they played us at Firhill a couple of weeks ago? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the squad, because he caused more than a few problems that day.

I wouldn't base my judgement of a player on how they looked against us in that game - we sleep-walked a good part of it.

Did Geggan play on the right wing for Dunfermline when they played us at Firhill a couple of weeks ago? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the squad, because he caused more than a few problems that day.

No, he was on the bench and came on to score the goal that should have been disallowed for a foul.

And we're not signing him - or, at least, certainly aren't interested in him at the moment.

I wish people would stop this canonisation of John Lambie.

He was a manager who used the Jags when it suited him (left us for Hamilton and Falkirk), and the facts prove that he was completely out of his depth in the top Scottish division.

To mention him in the same sentence as Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson does not stand up to scrutiny.

Of course it doesn't but that wasn't the point. Without Lambie we would probably have sunk so far as to have become another Ayr - vague history but a nothing club. We were terrible for tears until he took over, then even worse until he came back. Archie will do well to achieve half what Lambie did for us. Virtually all of our best results in the last 30 years were when he was with us - several promotions, comfortable in SPL (sort of), no relegations. Shame we never made a Cup Final as other wee clubs have in recent years.

• Like 1

Of course it doesn't but that wasn't the point. Without Lambie we would probably have sunk so far as to have become another Ayr - vague history but a nothing club. We were terrible for tears until he took over, then even worse until he came back. Archie will do well to achieve half what Lambie did for us. Virtually all of our best results in the last 30 years were when he was with us - several promotions, comfortable in SPL (sort of), no relegations. Shame we never made a Cup Final as other wee clubs have in recent years.

Thanks for the reasoned response, SussexJag.

I'd like to take you up on a few things though, in the constructive spirit of debate.

1) Ayr have been to more cup-finals and semis than we have in the last 30 years

2) Archie has us playing the best football we have seen at Firhill since the mid-70s, I'm sure you will agree that's not up for discussion. Frankly, IMO this year's league win trumps anything Lambie did for Thistle, although I will acknowledge that his tenure from 1999 - 2003 was probably the most significant of his four periods in charge, given the club's plight at that time.

3) Lambie's record in the SPL with Thistle (and Falkirk) was hardly indicative of someone who could take a team to another level in the top division, bearing in mind that he certainly had funds and considerable talent available to him at Falkirk.

Also the players he chose to release at the end of 1994-95 season, given that he subsequently went to Falkirk soon afterwards, have always been a source of suspicion to me about his motives at that point.

Edited by Barney Rubble

I'd like to take you up on a few things though, in the constructive spirit of debate.

2) Archie has us playing the best football we have seen at Firhill since the mid-70s, I'm sure you will agree that's not up for discussion. Frankly, IMO this year's league win trumps anything Lambie did for Thistle, although I will acknowledge that his tenure from 1999 - 2003 was probably the most significant of his four periods in charge, given the club's plight at that time.

3) Lambie's record in the SPL with Thistle (and Falkirk) was hardly indicative of someone who could take a team to another level in the top division, bearing in mind that he certainly had funds and considerable talent available to him at Falkirk.

Also the players he chose to release at the end of 1994-95 season, given that he subsequently went to Falkirk soon afterwards, have always been a source of suspicion to me about his motives at that point.

Lambie proved himself in the SPL twice with us. We were only relegated from the top flight when he left so to say his record there is poor is quite simply wrong.

Where you can criticise him is the fact that there was no youth policy and players were pretty much all on 1 year deals meaning whoever followed him had to, effectively, start from scratch.

Lambie proved himself in the SPL twice with us. We were only relegated from the top flight when he left so to say his record there is poor is quite simply wrong.

Grant, not sure I said he was poor in the SPL. I said he was incapable of taking us to another level.

Also to imply we only got relegated because he left is open to question. Ever thought that he might have left (twice) because he knew he couldn't take us any further? Yes I know that is conjecture on my part. But the converse is also true on your part.

I'm well aware that some of my opinions on Lambie will not gain favour with a fair few on here, but they are still well worthy of reasoned debate.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Grant, not sure I said he was poor in the SPL. I said he was incapable of taking us to another level.

Also to imply we only got relegated because he left is open to question. Ever thought that he might have left (twice) because he knew he couldn't take us any further? Yes I know that is conjecture on my part. But the converse is also true on your part.

I'm well aware that some of my opinions on Lambie will not gain favour with a fair few on here, but they are still well worthy of reasoned debate.

What is our level then if it is not the SPL? Lambie couldn't have taken us much further as all the clubs above us were still working on far bigger budget's than us (remember Aberdeen were buying Dutch internationals at that time). We could only go to 'the next level' if we had the finance. What Lambie did with our teams was nothing short of remarkable.

The guy made a mistake in leaving. Going to Falkirk was his biggest one and I'm sure the great man has said as much himself.

• Members

A very clever guy Lambie. Knew exactly what he was doing swapping Grant for a past-it Curran imo. If anythiing though, that would enhance his shrewdness as a Manager!

Is there any chance you could perhaps start a seperate thread about how good a Manager John Lambie was for the Jags.

Without doubt its an interesting topic but when I have gone onto the transfer topics subject I have expected to read along the lines about different transfer topics instead of discussions about Lambie as Manager. Would this not be best served with you creating a seperate thread altogether about this?

Used to be a cracking player - I'd give him a shot if his wage demands weren't too high, would certainly give us some good creative depth albeit I think may now occupy the same 'role' as Forbes and, to a lesser extent, Welsh. If he can still play just off a striker than would be a decent shout for cover in behind Doolan.